• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This team is in a terrible situation long term. Quin should quit and go somewhere better if he's smart. 

no one smart wears glasses that ugly.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

We got two scapegoats based on the feelings here

Trae 

Or 

Dre

Dre was 4th overall, he should be better. 

Trae was drafted when we could have had Mikal, SGA, or the guy we picked but traded Luka Doncic. 

At the end of the day, if you are for Trae, you will say he lived up to the draft status. 

If you are for Dre, you will say, we won the trade for Dre and the draft was shit, Dre at 4 was the best play on the board for us. Trae and Garland makes no sense and Herro makes even less sense.

At the end of the day, pick your scapegoat. This is going to be a long next 3 seasons. 

I'm going to keep it simple - I just need both guys to play to their potential and their best strengths whatever they are. IF you are good at that one thing - DO THAT CONSISTENTLY. Improve on your weakness - DO THAT.  The things that are bad that don't help individual or team - CUT THEM OUT!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

If I see one more person refer to Trae a Superstar I'm gonna lose my mind

He is in NO WAY a superstar. Unless your definition of a superstar is VERY loose. Superstars are ALWAYS shoe-ins for all star games. Trae will most likely miss the all star game again unless there's an injury

The Hawks really shoulda told Haliburton that they would trade Trae so that he could be the STAR PG of the team. Sooo many mistakes by this organization smh

At this point, it's clear. Everyone on the outside can see this. Our mistake happened when we traded for Clint, signed Gallo and Bogi. We ended the tank too early. Now we are stuck. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For all of the cries of Hunter barely getting  better, the said best player has improved less than 12. 

As I said, everyone is looking for a scapegoat but this team's mistake happened way before we hired Quin or Nate. 

The best player just had his best two way game of his career lol. Dre has been the same guy since hes come into the league

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm going to keep it simple - I just need both guys to play to their potential and their best strengths whatever they are. IF you are good at that one thing - DO THAT CONSISTENTLY. Improve on your weakness - DO THAT.  The things that are bad that don't help individual or team - CUT THEM OUT!

Both guys haven't made a substantial jump. Trae been passed by 3 players in his draft class. 

Luka

SGA

Mikal

And Brunson and JJJ are on his ass and many people think those two are better than Trae although it's not a consensus  

Dre hasn't improved much. That's a fact. Then again, I never expected that he was unlike ya'll. He was a tier 4 player with a high floor and low ceiling. He's performing as well as I expected. It's guys like Bagley, Bamba, Sexton, and Cam that didn't come anywhere close to their ceiling. 

I don't know if this is Trae ceiling but he hasn't gotten any better to say it ain't. 

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If this is the best games of his career, we are f***ed

Didn't say that was his best game. But that was a great defensive game from a player that has been horrible on that end. Might have even been the best perimeter defender last night. Was on point on rotations and closeouts too. Any and all hawks fans wanted to see this type of effort on this end of the floor for Trae and its a sign of Quin coaching and him buying in. He should continue to get better on this end of the floor. Its not a coincidence he finally has a positive DPM on the season too. We are screwed for a plethora of reasons but scapegoating trae makes no sense especially he has been far from the issue the last 12 games.

Patience 

• Like 2

The overreactions on this thread are hilarious. By all accounts they are a better team than their record indicates. Tough schedule paired with a Jalen injury and you have the record they currently have.

Majority of Quin's teams have a history of slow starts and then they take off. Just have some patience lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

As a franchise this completely sucks.  Our best defenders get quick whistles and have to resort to what I'm now calling "beta male defense".  How can our defense improve if we're essentially not allowed to play with contact? 

that's spot-on, F-Q. His beta male defense is the worst part about being a Hawks fan. I can't stand watching it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Luka trade is really the only truly awful one. Haliburton didn't want to come here. I don't know how many times I gotta say that. Luka did want to come here and we would be a contender with the same exact squad right now with Luka. We bet on the wrong horse. You watch teams like MIN and they got two players in Gobert and Ant better than our best player. You realize, we are basically like Brooklyn except more teams would rather have Mikal than Trae. We f***ed up that draft where it had a ton of franchise players. 

I said Hali didn't want to come here in my posts.  But that was because we already had a franchise PG in Trae his same position supposedly from what was reported.  So back to what i said in keeping Luka that would have fixed the 1 problem Hali had with coming here.  We would have needed his position without Trae here and Luka + Hali + all our picks from not trading for Murray would have put us in a MUCH BETTER position and we could have easily added a 3rd star with those picks from the murray trade to pair with Luka + Hali and be considered a elite team at the top of the east probably.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

The Hawks really shoulda told Haliburton that they would trade Trae so that he could be the STAR PG of the team. Sooo many mistakes by this organization smh

You are telling me that think any NBA GM would really trade a 21 year old point guard who was voted in as an All-Starter starter and just put up 29.6 ppg on .595% TS% finishing 5th in the league in points, 9.3 apg finishing 3rd in total assists, put up a 23.9 PER for 12th best in the NBA. 5.9 Win Shares on a 20 win team, 3.9 BPM for 18th best in the league, and 3.1 VORP for 14th best in the league for an untested PG who wasn't thought highly enough of to be taken in the top 9 picks of what is considered to be a pretty bad draft?  I don't believe any GM would do that.

Even if that is the right move with the benefit of hindsight, it would be like expecting Houston to trade James Harden after his first All-Star appearance there for a pick to take Giannis in the draft.  That kind of deal never happens because when there is enough consensus and certainty around a player entering the draft that you would give up that kind of player for him that player is probably going #1 overall (ala Wemby or Duncan or Shaq, etc.) and the team with that pick isn't trading it and when the player turns out to be Hall of Famer good but is going later in the draft (ala Paul Pierce, Giannis, Steve Nash, etc.) that prospect isn't valued enough to justify the trade.

If you think I've missed a comparable trade please let me know.  I just can't think of any situation like that ever happening in the NBA where a young blossoming star with proven NBA performance is dealt for someone who isn't a consensus top prospect.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I think this is a grass is greener thing.  Let's be honest there's a lot of politics as to why Trae wasn't in more all star games.  We all know if he was with another franchise he would have been there. 

This is a Trae issue.  If he had just accepted all the All-Star invites he has gotten, he would have gone to 4 consecutive All-Star games.  He has only accepted invites when he was voted in as a starter so far.  So there may be an institutional bias in favor of Lakers, Celtics, etc. at the expense of the Hawks I don't think this is the real issue with how things have played out with Trae.  He has been too proud to put those All-Star games on his resume.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Trae, Hunter, OO, Capela all deserve some blame for screw ups at different times but where's that energy for DJ who scored 1 basket in the second half and put up a fourth quarter goose egg.  I mean if we're going to scape goat someone let's start with the guy who supposed to be our #2. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has only accepted invites when he was voted in as a starter so far.

If I remember correctly - I think he declined (injury) replacement Allstar selections when he wasn't initially picked by coaches in the first round selections.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

If I remember correctly - I think he declined (injury) replacement Allstar selections when he wasn't initially picked by coaches in the first selections.

Correct and at least the last one he got chosen like 2 days before the game i think.  could be wrong.  we don't know his reasoning.  Too proud maybe but could be banged up or expecting a baby or whatever.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Given how significant All-Star selections are for a player's legacy and a team's profile, I would like him to accept all invites.  I say that from my armchair QB perspective but I want him to be recognized for what his career was when it was over and turning down All-Star invitations is probably the most likely way to ensure you don't get the proper recognition.  Even if Joe never stood out in the All-Star game, he at least can make a case for the HOF that is in large part driven by that 7x All-Star figure.

• Like 4

• Moderators
Just now, AHF said:

Given how significant All-Star selections are for a player's legacy and a team's profile, I would like him to accept all invites.  I say that from my armchair QB perspective but I want him to be recognized for what his career was when it was over and turning down All-Star invitations is probably the most likely way to ensure you don't get the proper recognition.  Even if Joe never stood out in the All-Star game, he at least can make a case for the HOF that is in large part driven by that 7x All-Star figure.

I agree 100% but it's not uncommon for guys to turn down injury replacement invites.  They're people with lives so not sure his reasoning.  

• Moderators
Just now, macdaddy said:

I agree 100% but it's not uncommon for guys to turn down injury replacement invites.  They're people with lives so not sure his reasoning.  

They are people with lives but they invest so much to become the best at their craft and this is maybe the most public recognition of that effort and is a big deal to the fans and journalists.  MVPs, DPOY, All-NBA, and All-Star appearances are huge in discussions around the greatest [fill in the blank]s of All-Time in the NBA.  Turning those down just hurts as a fan of Trae and the Hawks. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

what do you want to do to start over?

I don't think we're in position to even make the play-in if we continue to play this "defense" every single game. Something has to give. 

Whether a total rebuild dealing both Trae and Murray for 3-4 firsts plus bad salary or a retool getting rid of one of them plus some combination of Hunter/Bey/AJ for a decent big + pick, I don't know. This roster isn't capable to guard anyone. 

Boring games with boring endings, I'm sick of seeing we get pummeled in the paint. OO, btw, will NEVER be a decent 5. He can go as well, I don't mind. 

• Like 1