• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

he's wrong.  It was a good no call by the ref.  Trae barely got touched and then acted like he got blocked by Michael Oher.  If he didn't act like that he wouldn't have been so off balance when attempting the last shot.   Stupid play by Trae and the result is what was earned.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, terrell said:

We had all of that 1st rd draft capital from the tank and came out of it with Trae Kevin Spellman Dre Cam and OO..

He gave us JJ though thank God

Then followed that up with AJ Griffin 

And LF finished it off with Bumkin.. smh

OO has skills, but he just doesn't seem to have the drive to be better. He comes off as being "fine" with where he is at. A 7th man on the roster. It's too bad. 

JJ has the chance to be a really good 2nd guy, or a great 3rd guy.

I've been high on OO and Griffin in the past, but it isn't looking that great right now.

I got a couple highlight passes last night from DJ, actually 2 from DJ on fast breaks that were beauties and one from Trae.IMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.029c80ecc0a2f4ef08fce84ab7dc2c94.jpegIMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.92ffe627ef81de439334fd75367745d5.jpeg

Next one I thought was the play of the game defensively for us. Trae takes a charge on out of control homie Sharpe.

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.77548006e97d6d8f05be520dc8dfbae7.jpeg

This last one is the most 40 point games since Trae entered the league and he’s in the top handful, so is Luka but the screen couldn’t pic up his pic 🤣 who runs the graphics for the Hawks @kg01 high five 🖐️ on that one! 🤣 Just says Luka also has 32 🤣 🤣 👏 IMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.7bffb64235e9be991dd8ed3813305057.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know i'll get killed for this but i'm not seeing much that OO does that JC didn't do better.  I know JC cost too much to be a backup center but still.   I like OO a lot but he looks lost in this offense and isn't that impactful on D. 

No you won’t get killed. OO needed more impact for us, I mean he has glimpses throughout the game and flashes but we need a sustained defensive force, defense is his thing so shut down the opposition some.

No passes for OO he’s in what year 4 now? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

No you won’t get killed. OO needed more impact for us, I mean he has glimpses throughout the game and flashes but we need a sustained defensive force, defense is his thing so shut down the opposition some.

No passes for OO he’s in what year 4 now? 

Folks balked at the idea of playing JC at center but i think that's where he belongs at this point.  His D is actually pretty good and he can shoot and rebound and finish.  And he plays with friggin energy which is becoming a problem for this group. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know i'll get killed for this but i'm not seeing much that OO does that JC didn't do better.  I know JC cost too much to be a backup center but still.   I like OO a lot but he looks lost in this offense and isn't that impactful on D. 

I think part of that is the expectation that he would keep improving linearly and take CC's spot.   Development is not always linear, sometimes there are peaks and valleys with development until they figure it out. What he can control is his effort, aggression and focus, and sometimes he doesn't appear to do so.  He's playing limited minutes anyway - forget the fouling, just play hard and defend. 

And for the Love of God stop biting on pump fakes.  🤢

I posted a link regarding Quin's offense and the intricacies that it entails (requires a PhD as told by Mike Conley)  - hopefully this is a learning curve, a steep one but I am remaining hopeful.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Folks balked at the idea of playing JC at center but i think that's where he belongs at this point.  His D is actually pretty good and he can shoot and rebound and finish.  And he plays with friggin energy which is becoming a problem for this group. 

Cost cutting move - no use crying over that spilled milk.

• Sad 2

If I see one more person refer to Trae a Superstar I'm gonna lose my mind

He is in NO WAY a superstar. Unless your definition of a superstar is VERY loose. Superstars are ALWAYS shoe-ins for all star games. Trae will most likely miss the all star game again unless there's an injury

The Hawks really shoulda told Haliburton that they would trade Trae so that he could be the STAR PG of the team. Sooo many mistakes by this organization smh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Luka trade is really the only truly awful one. Haliburton didn't want to come here. I don't know how many times I gotta say that. Luka did want to come here and we would be a contender with the same exact squad right now with Luka. We bet on the wrong horse. You watch teams like MIN and they got two players in Gobert and Ant better than our best player. You realize, we are basically like Brooklyn except more teams would rather have Mikal than Trae. We f***ed up that draft where it had a ton of franchise players. 

1lrkh2.jpg

• Haha 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

If I see one more person refer to Trae a Superstar I'm gonna lose my mind

He is in NO WAY a superstar. Unless your definition of a superstar is VERY loose. Superstars are ALWAYS shoe-ins for all star games. Trae will most likely miss the all star game again unless there's an injury

The Hawks really shoulda told Haliburton that they would trade Trae so that he could be the STAR PG of the team. Sooo many mistakes by this organization smh

I think this is a grass is greener thing.  Let's be honest there's a lot of politics as to why Trae wasn't in more all star games.  We all know if he was with another franchise he would have been there.  Is he as good as Luka? No probably not.  Is he as good as Hali.  I don't know.  I think he's better at getting his own shot and better at distributing.  Hali can shoot like crazy though. 

But talk to me when those guys have done something.  Luka couldn't get his team into the play in last year.  Now they've brought in Kyrie to save him.  

My only point is it doesn't matter who's better.  It matters whether you can build a team with them. So far all these guys who are so much better than Trae haven't been successfully built around either.  (realizing i may eat my words this year but that's ok).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

JC didn't really fit anything modern outside of hitting on open 3. OO game is modern for a big, he's just struggling at doing more advanced defensive duties which is a problem

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think this is a grass is greener thing.  Let's be honest there's a lot of politics as to why Trae wasn't in more all star games.  We all know if he was with another franchise he would have been there.  Is he as good as Luka? No probably not.  Is he as good as Hali.  I don't know.  I think he's better at getting his own shot and better at distributing.  Hali can shoot like crazy though. 

But talk to me when those guys have done something.  Luka couldn't get his team into the play in last year.  Now they've brought in Kyrie to save him.  

My only point is it doesn't matter who's better.  It matters whether you can build a team with them. So far all these guys who are so much better than Trae haven't been successfully built around either.  (realizing i may eat my words this year but that's ok).

He's nowhere close to either Hali or Luka

For all of the cries of Hunter barely getting  better, the said best player has improved less than 12. 

As I said, everyone is looking for a scapegoat but this team's mistake happened way before we hired Quin or Nate. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

he's wrong.  It was a good no call by the ref.  Trae barely got touched and then acted like he got blocked by Michael Oher.  If he didn't act like that he wouldn't have been so off balance when attempting the last shot.   Stupid play by Trae and the result is what was earned.

This play perfectly captured why I pound the drum of eFG% mattering, and why I value it over TS% in a lot of cases.

We got two scapegoats based on the feelings here

Trae 

Or 

Dre

Dre was 4th overall, he should be better. 

Trae was drafted when we could have had Mikal, SGA, or the guy we picked but traded Luka Doncic. 

At the end of the day, if you are for Trae, you will say he lived up to the draft status. 

If you are for Dre, you will say, we won the trade for Dre and the draft was shit, Dre at 4 was the best play on the board for us. Trae and Garland makes no sense and Herro makes even less sense.

At the end of the day, pick your scapegoat. This is going to be a long next 3 seasons. 

This team is in a terrible situation long term. Quin should quit and go somewhere better if he's smart. 

Edited by NBASupes