• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Wizards at Hawks, the Season-Opener!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

8 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think Malone was with the Bullets in 85-86...thought we got Moses in 88. I could be wrong. I think it might have been a mistake by Bob. We didn't have a dominating rebounder making a debut in 86.  I think we had like Tree, Willis, Koncak, Levingston and Carr I'm guessing. Maybe Levingston? I could look it up too lazy lol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198510250ATL.html

Doesn't look like it happened in that season opener.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Millsap's defense against Morris has been horrible. He was lit up. Seen it in the playoffs the past 2 years against Pierce, Love, Jerebko.

Maybe Bud need to try Thabo at PF to guard the stretch bigs. Millsap looks a step slow trying to keep up with them.

No, that was the defensive strategy tonight. You play the lanes to stop the penetration from Wall and Beal. You make the other players beat you. Morris scored points, but we neutralized Beal and Wall. Winning strategy my man.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, willthepureshooter said:

No, that was the defensive strategy tonight. You play the lanes to stop the penetration from Wall and Beal. You make the other players beat you. Morris scored points, but we neutralized Beal and Wall. Winning strategy my man.

But you got Dwight in the middle now. What ATL is going to do when they play a team like CLE where Love could go off with 30 points?

• Premium Member

A very nice 4th quarter to seal the deal. Good job Hawks.

It seemed to me the guys were a little bit too nervous on opening night but they still got the W, which is very good.

Bazemore was HORRIBLE last night, but I think he'll be fine. Eventually. Great games by Millsap, THJ and Thabo. Dwight dominated the boards but he has a long way to go in the offense. I really like how Delaney creates his own shot. He got robbed twice last night with some offensive fouls being called as he made beautiful shots.

All in all a nice win, be we certainly can do better.

LET'S GO HAWKS!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

A very nice 4th quarter to seal the deal. Good job Hawks.

It seemed to me the guys were a little bit too nervous on opening night but they still got the W, which is very good.

Bazemore was HORRIBLE last night, but I think he'll be fine. Eventually. Great games by Millsap, THJ and Thabo. Dwight dominated the boards but he has a long way to go in the offense. I really like how Delaney creates his own shot. He got robbed twice last night with some offensive fouls being called as he made beautiful shots.

All in all a nice win, be we certainly can do better.

LET'S GO HAWKS!

Baze looked good to me. His movement was solid and his defense was good. He struggled with his shot but everyone does. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

But you got Dwight in the middle now. What ATL is going to do when they play a team like CLE where Love could go off with 30 points?

Over a 3 game period?:blink:  When was the last 30 point game for Love?  In Minnesota?  Plus what does that have to do with Howard?   Love plays power forward

3 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

You don't want them to get deep in the paint to Dwight. Dwight will be in foul trouble quickly.  You live with Morris outside shooting. Limit the guards and freethrows.

Great win. Important moral win to start the season and everyone got a medallion. Outside maybe Baze, Korver and Dennis. But they did theirs as well...but we could have had Jeff "Esotheric"Teague making 20 points with 8 assists on 3 TO's "flowing" around last night?  And then Williams/Barea dropping 45 points from the PG position on him...

Nah, good win. Lots of moving parts are still under construction, but the will and talent is already there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Lots of moving parts are still under construction, but the will and talent is already there.

Yeah, that includes another very good coaching job from Bud and staff as well as the new and older parts improving moving  forward. Overall our health seems like a positive even with our usual no show in Tiago and Sap getting back just in time. And who knows where Scott will be by the All Star break.  

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You don't want them to get deep in the paint to Dwight. Dwight will be in foul trouble quickly.  You live with Morris outside shooting. Limit the guards and freethrows.

I guess that makes sense. How do teams like BOS/DET/MIL play these teams like GS who got multiple shooters in their starting lineup? They seem to do a good job on defending them.

On 10/28/2016 at 2:50 AM, Spud2Nique said:

I think Malone was with the Bullets in 85-86...thought we got Moses in 88. I could be wrong. I think it might have been a mistake by Bob. We didn't have a dominating rebounder making a debut in 86.  I think we had like Tree, Willis, Koncak, Levingston and Carr I'm guessing. Maybe Levingston? I could look it up too lazy lol

Levingston did have a lot of crazy good games playing around the glass. Seemingly every loose rebound was his. When Carr was not falling in the bathtub breaking bones or yelling at Fratello he ate some glass as well. Agree with your guesstimate about Cliff.  

After looking at old stats, Willis looks like the most likely but I remember Kasten being upset Kevin didn't dominate the boards in his first couple of years. That was his second year with us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Willis

Edited by Thomas

On 10/28/2016 at 10:23 AM, BigDog90 said:

That Love and Frye pairing is a bitch. Put Thabo, Bazemore and Korver in and go smaller. Make LeBron move. Thabo new game will force James to move and not sit on everything.

• Moderators

I'm late to this thread but let me say I hate the wiz and glad we beat them.  Went to the game and had a blast.   Watching the wizards though it just seemed like Wall is really the problem there.   He holds the ball way too much and didn't really get the guys involved that needed to be.   Markieff is really good and was very effective against us but just didn't get the ball enough all while Wall is jacking shots and dribbling like crazy.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm late to this thread but let me say I hate the wiz and glad we beat them.  Went to the game and had a blast.   Watching the wizards though it just seemed like Wall is really the problem there.   He holds the ball way too much and didn't really get the guys involved that needed to be.   Markieff is really good and was very effective against us but just didn't get the ball enough all while Wall is jacking shots and dribbling like crazy.   

Actually agree with all this.  I don't mind WAS sticking with Wall.  He'll never win anything.  He's basically the same player he was as a rookie.  Always the fastest guy on the court but can't shoot (well enough) and has a tendency to make bad decisions when it counts.  Can't get teammates involved sufficiently.

As you said, Morris was cookin' early.  We had no answers 'til he faded as Wall/Beal decided to put their respective stamp(s) on the game.  They just don't play together so win/loss will always be a crap shoot for them.  Should make the bold move and move Wall while they still can.  They won't though ....

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Carmelo Wall.....:-|