• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

So I missed the game, had a great night with friends. Sounds like I missed out screaming out the television and wondering why one guy can go 4-4 and doesn't get more than four shots and three other guys go like 4-34 or something combined? Wow.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Before I start the finger pointing that you all are waiting on, Let me say that we didn't deserve to win this based on our play for most of the game.   We gave a good 3 pt shooting team wide open looks from outside.   That's coaching.   Olynk looked like Larry freakin Bird out there.  And our perimeter defense has to get better.   For those of you calling for Prince, let me ask... what exactly did he do last night to receive any consideration??  I saw him getting beat and going the wrong way on PNR defense.   For those of you who watched intently, let's point some fingers.  Dunleavy knew what to do in the PNR but he was just not fast enough to do it.   Prince didn't do diddly on his PNR defense and Boston ate off of it.   Baze forced the offensive player to make tough shots and they did.  Bembry showed a lot of heart because even when he was beat, he tried to get back to the spot. 

Offensively, you saw the curse of Dennis and I'm glad that coach benched him.   It's not about a bad night, it's about an ego.  From minute one, with the bright lights up, Dennis was trying to "be the man" and he forgot all about the offense.  Delaney, who is a chucker, ran the offense better.   Unfortunately, we ran too many Iso and got away from what makes us good.  In a Iso game, the only players we have that can look good are THJr and Sap.  Bud has to get into this team's ear and they have to listen.

• Like 1

Weird game.  Dennis with 4 fouls and Dwight with 4 TOs early didn't do us any favors.  I didn't see the first half but whatever led to Olynk going off from three didn't work.  Say what you will about IT but dude is a gamer.  

Baze vs. Giannis should be fun.  Not.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

Weird game.  Dennis with 4 fouls and Dwight with 4 TOs early didn't do us any favors.  I didn't see the first half but whatever led to Olynk going off from three didn't work.  Say what you will about IT but dude is a gamer.  

Baze vs. Giannis should be fun.  Not.

About Olynk.  A lot of it was ball movement and Isaiah Thomas.   This dude was doing the behind the back passes to a wide open 3 pt shooter.  Olynk or Crowder and they were killing us.  They beat us the way we used to beat teams... with Ball movement. Dennis should watch some Isaiah Thomas footage to see that if you share the ball with everybody, then you can have a moment where you take over.  But our offensive meanderings makes no sense when Dwight only gets 4 shots.  Mostly off of rebounds. 

• Like 2

Dennis had a terrible night on both offense and defense.  He got

a foul or two called that weren't and he made an obvious, silly foul

that brought the end to his flustration and his playing.

Malcom Delaney had an excellent night on both ends of the court.

Ironic, isn't it, when #2 outdoes #1.

Four of our 5 starters were with a minus in their plus\minus and

not one of the bench, which played a lot, had a minus.  Hawks won

the second and fourth quarter scoring but allowed the Boston Bean

Eaters to hit 7 out of 10 threes in the first quarter.  That wasn't bad

enough, they hit the next one also.

I hate to say it.  I loved KK as a Hawk but his replacement, Dunleavy,

did a fine job replacing him.  Always kinda liked him any way.

That former Hawk center was making great passes, rebounding and

hitting dunks.  The very things he couldn't do his last two years here.

We allowed their PG, (Don't dare touch me or it's a foul) to dominate

the game and win it for them.  Don't really like him but if he plays lke

this all the time and gets calls like "The King," then he deserves to be

an all star selection, doesn't he.

Invaded from the east coast, Boston, and from the west coast, Seattle,

today.  Hope we get this one today.

GO ATL FALCONS !!

• Like 4

Apart from Thomas heroics and Celtics three points accuracy, our lack of shooting, energy and ball movement killed us. We need urgently a wing capable of create some ofense and shoot decently from 3. 

We have a solid defensive first unit, but its hard to compete against solid teams with Thabo and Bazemore shooting sub 30% 3PT. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

So I missed the game, had a great night with friends. Sounds like I missed out screaming out the television and wondering why one guy can go 4-4 and doesn't get more than four shots and three other guys go like 4-34 or something combined? Wow.

Well, to put the positive out there. Tim has arrived and played well again last night and it gave us a pulse and also a chance late. Dun surprised me in not looking completely lost in his first game and late in the fourth had a couple of rebounds and a three which we had to have. So there is that but of course losing to Boston and at home is just a rotten feeling. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Garchelino said:

We need urgently a wing capable of create some ofense and shoot decently from 3. 

We may have one on the bench but when will we ever know. A couple of minutes against Boston after a game where Prince was two of four from three, jeez. Its frustrating being an armchair coach for me right now especially when Baze's consistent performances make it blatantly obvious what needs to happen. 

• Like 1

This is simple, Boston won because they have an all-star PG who dominated and they exploded our weaknesses, our 5 not good at defending outside and the SF position that we cannot defend well due to lack of size.

What we did? We could have tried to take advantage of their weakness but we did not, feed Howard on the post, they cannot defend him, take advantage o Thomas size, we did not use it. Howard only 4 touches, Schröder horrible on offense...

So... teven with that only 2 pt difference at the end...

I get the feeling Dunleavy can help at SF position, better than Thabo...

9 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

Bud had Prince on the court for a short run I the first. He immediately made a mistake in going under the pick against crowder. Right after he was out again. I think Bud was to scared to blow it by letting the  rookies make rookie mistakes. 

But yeah he should've played them a bit more 

That's exactly how it went down too.  He made one mistake and was benched.

My thing is that Deandre Bembry actually had a good 6 minute stint while he was in the game.  He, along with Delaney, was one of the reasons why the Hawks got back in the game in the 2nd quarter. Bembry's defense was more than solid.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

It was definitely a "screaming out of frustration" type of game.   And they still almost pulled that game out of their butt.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bud was a trip in this game...I mean he was just throwing lineup after lineup out there...He had 2 point guards in at one point, he had Dunlevey playing the 4 with Moose at the 5 etc.  Dude was in rare Bud form and in my opinion was the biggest reason for missed assignments on defense.  Those lineups had players playing with each other who probably never played 1 minute together in practice or another game.  Game management is just not a strength for Bud.