• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Wizards: GAME 1

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If he isn't our best player, then who is? 

This team doesn't have a clear best player.  Any given night someone can be the best player.  Just notice here that when certain players have bad night, the no mercy rule is in full force.  But when Millsap is a liability like he was today, no one criticizes him or Bud for allowing him to destroy the offense with his terrible iso plays and his turnovers.  We won't even talk about his non existent defense on a guy that averages less than 12 points per game for his career.

The Wizards look like a team who's starting 5 has been together all season behind a peaking All-NBA guard.  The Hawks look like a team who just settled on a starting lineup what, a week ago?  Combine this with an already funky 1-5 combo.  This porous PNR defense can't begin to match Gortat screening for Wall driving and Beal curling.

@Lurker accurately called out the Sap/Morris matchup.  I always said that boy cold, like him even more after the commentators voiced his displeasure with being called a "stretch 4."  He's a street 4.  He's one those players who's lack of volume hurt his lying efficiency ratings.  He's at 13.7, looks like 18.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

@Lurker accurately called out the Sap/Morris matchup.  I always said that boy cold, like him even more after the commentators voiced his displeasure with being called a "stretch 4."  He's a street 4.

If Lurker can call this train wreck waiting to happen match up, Why can't Bud?  Why did he not make adjustments in the 3rd quarter?

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The Wizards look like a team who's starting 5 has been together all season behind a peaking All-NBA guard.  The Hawks look like a team who just settled on a starting lineup what, a week ago?  Combine this with an already funky 1-5 combo.  This porous PNR defense can't begin to match Gortat screening for Wall driving and Beal curling.

@Lurker accurately called out the Sap/Morris matchup.  I always said that boy cold, like him even more after the commentators voiced his displeasure with being called a "stretch 4."  He's a street 4.  He's one those players who's lack of volume hurt his lying efficiency ratings.  He's at 13.7, looks like 18.

I said the same thing, but someone said that Morris ER was near Bazemore and so there was no cause for concern.

The Wizards have now beaten the Hawks 4 straight times and Morris is a big reason why.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This team doesn't have a clear best player.  Any given night someone can be the best player.  Just notice here that when certain players have bad night, the no mercy rule is in full force.  But when Millsap is a liability like he was today, no one criticizes him or Bud for allowing him to destroy the offense with his terrible iso plays and his turnovers.  We won't even talk about his non existent defense on a guy that averages less than 12 points per game for his career.

That's not my point with your quote of me.  I said Milsap HAS to play better.  I apologize  for my criticism of him not being up to your high standards of negativity.  

I now know you have an agenda when you refuse to admit Milsap is the Hawks best player.  Even a blind Man can see that.  I'm done with all further correspondence with you today.   Thanks. 

Not gon lie I'm not worried...we did a lot wrong today and even when the wiz look like they were going to put the game away we stayed in it and actually got the lead by half.

defense isn't really the issue...you aren't going to stop a pro team all game , they are going to make a run eventually. The problem is when we get consistent stops we can't score consistently.

in the 2nd quarter we should have been up by 15 but our crappy offense continues to be a thorn in our side.

• Like 2

“The difference in the game is we were playing basketball and they were playing MMA,” said Millsap, who finished with 19 points and just two rebounds in the 114-107 loss.

22 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

“The difference in the game is we were playing basketball and they were playing MMA,” said Millsap, who finished with 19 points and just two rebounds in the 114-107 loss.

That crap has been going on for a few years against Sap. Maybe making some noise verbally or receiving a tech would adjust the bullshit in this series anyway, even if its just a tad bit it could be the difference in some calls and some wins. Its not like the NBA front office actually cares about the Wizards. 

• Like 2

I just got back, taking a look at the box score:

Looks like game one is the game in which a poor Dwight Howard and poor game by one of the guards is going to happen. When I saw social media when I was on the road, I thought Dennis took something stupid like 25+ shots. No he didn't. 16, good efficiency, and handing out 9 assists is perfect. He didn't even have that many turnovers.

1 minute ago, hylndr11 said:

Where u at dwight, just push and block them, if you cant do it, at least let humphries try he stretch a little at least and can bang.

Tell that to Bud. Whether Kris gets in a game or not is his call.

Like I've often said with Dwight Howard not getting involved enough, it takes two to dance. If he's not setting screens and diving hard, he's just not likely to get the ball from Dennis. And if he's not setting screens and diving hard, he should be benched.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I watched the first half at the battery, had Braves tickets. If it wasn't opening weekend I would have sold them. Seemed like our bench got us the lead and the starters came back in with momentum and played well after the awful start. 

Lets be honest and know we need to win all games at home and ONE at Washington to win this series. Losing game one doesn't change a thing. I could only see the box score after the first half, but it seems like we were awful and lost by 7. Not too bad..

I think THJ will play better and we will see more of Dwight too. If not, we will be done in 5 games but I have confidence those two will step up. Go Hawks!    

A few of us have mentioned it all year that Sap struggles against stretch bigs. And its baffling as hell because he is a stretch big himself.  Both Morris twins have given him that work the last few years so today is no surprise.

Funny how a few of our former guys got labeled soft yet the Hawks got punked again today and those two aren't even with us anymore. Maybe a few more guys should have been getting that same criticism

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Sarcatic1 said:

A few of us have mentioned it all year that Sap struggles against stretch bigs. And its baffling as hell because he is a stretch big himself.  Both Morris twins have given him that work the last few years so today is no surprise.

Funny how a few of our former guys got labeled soft yet the Hawks got punked again today and those two aren't even with us anymore. Maybe a few more guys should have been getting that same criticism

Instead of Bud ignoring the problem why doesn't he solve it?

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Instead of Bud ignoring the problem why doesn't he solve it?

Prefacing this with this is not a Howard bash fest, but there really isn't much you can do in this case with Howard not being able to guard stretchy big men. Putting Millsap with the second unit doesn't really work as he's not escaping the stretchy big with the first unit or the second unit.