• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Get to work Schlenk! Jontay should get at least a 2 way contract with the Hawks

Nah, we already have a pudgy stretch-big to take care of.  At least we know Spellman's issues are work-related.  Porter's whole family has debilitating health issues.  I'm not betting on him being the only one of them that'll be able to overcome them.

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Bruno might start out in g league but that’s why we have that ... to help guys develop 

Maybe so but just like Huerter moved to the starting lineup eventually as the season went on.... I believe Bruno will too in a similar fashion especially if Len is the only other center he has to beat out for minutes. I just don’t believe Len is a lock to be a definite starter after we selected Bruno.

Just now, JTB said:

Maybe so but just like Huerter moved to the starting lineup eventually as the season went on.... I believe Bruno will too in a similar fashion especially if Len is the only other center he has to beat out for minutes. I just don’t believe Len is a lock to be a definite starter after we selected Bruno.

It may take some time. Alot of young bigs have problems guarding without fouling early on

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mcleitsy said:

Not sure if this was linked but love the confidence from Schlenk....when asked point blank if the draft could've gone any better, he was basically "Lol nah". Around the 7-8 minute mark. Seems like he is really gaining more confidence as the face of the FO.

He also answers the question to the people being upset that he sold 2nd round picks. 

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I wonder if we had NO promise not to take Cam to make trade happen 

I think we did. I was telling my wife when gave up the 8 instead of 10 that NO would take Cam to make Zion happy. Something tells me we had NO promise not to take him.

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think we did. I was telling my wife when gave up the 8 instead of 10 that NO would take Cam to make Zion happy. Something tells me we had NO promise not to take him.

Considering Zion and Cam didn't really work well together last year, I don't really get that logic.  

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Oh heyul yeah, there's a lotta folks that need to show up and own up to their craptastic draft calculations.  Mine was Goga at 10, which I don't think was unreasonable.

I heard the following from folks:

Claxton at 10

Bol as high as 4

Clarke at 8

Little as high as 4

Kabengale at 10 (lookin at you @Spud2nique)

Keldon Johnson at 10

Jussayin'

Yes I did. I still think it doesn’t matter where you grab a player and that when we look back at the draft that Clarke and Kabs fell unnecessarily. 

Geez @kg01 give the prospects a couple of years to do what they do. Clarke shouldn’t have dropped past the Celts at 14, and Kabs floor should have been around the Spurs pick at 19 imo. Time will tell but I’ll tell you this...

WE GOT OUR GUYS BABY 👶!!!! 🎉 🥳 

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Considering Zion and Cam didn't really work well together last year, I don't really get that logic.  

Have you seen Zion talk about Cam? He loves that guy. NO just watched an unhappy superstar get traded away. I thought they would want to appease their new one.

Why is everybody slapping David Griffin on the back?  He's not a great GM.  His success is tied directly to Lebron James.  All his moves are tied to Lebron James.  Even the AD trade was tied to Lebron James.

Lemme let you in on a little secret.  Lebron James doesn't play for the PeliCan'ts.

Skepticism should be at an all time high.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Why is everybody slapping David Griffin on the back?  He's not a great GM.  His success is tied directly to Lebron James.  All his moves are tied to Lebron James.  Even the AD trade was tied to Lebron James.

Lemme let you in on a little secret.  Lebron James doesn't play for the PeliCan'ts.

Skepticism should be at an all time high.

Well. I think he does one thing well. He’s transparent with everyone he deals with, allowing those people to trust him and his moves. He has confidence in his moves. I actually think he’s pretty good. The media is trying to make him GREAT but let’s chill.

He made the mistake of not grabbing Cam at 4. I don’t care what anyone says, pairing Zion with Cam in the pros was a no brainer. He got Hayes thinking Zion needed a big to play with but he should have gone BPA and filled the center needs with FAgency.

• Like 1

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Well. I think he does one thing well. He’s transparent with everyone he deals with, allowing those people to trust him and his moves. He has confidence in his moves. I actually think he’s pretty good. The media is trying to make him GREAT but let’s chill.

He made the mistake of not grabbing Cam at 4. I don’t care what anyone says, pairing Zion with Cam in the pros was a no brainer. He got Hayes thinking Zion needed a big to play with but he should have gone BPA and filled the center needs with FAgency.

What he does well is endear himself to the media, which explains all the positive press.

That Hayes pick was awful.  So they have Zion with Okafor and Hayes with Jrue and Lonzo in the backcourt.  Who TF is gonna shoot the ball?  And, even when they do shoot it, who's gonna make any of 'em?  Where's the spacing, bro?

Why's nobody talking about this?

The only part of the draft he got right was the #1 pick and that decision was made for him months ago.

• Like 1

Just now, kg01 said:

What he does well is endear himself to the media, which explains all the positive press.

That Hayes pick was awful.  So they have Zion with Okafor and Hayes with Jrue and Lonzo in the backcourt.  Who TF is gonna shoot the ball?  And, even when they do shoot it, who's gonna make any of 'em?  Where's the spacing, bro?

Why's nobody talking about this?

The only part of the draft he got right was the #1 pick and that decision was made for him months ago.

Hey, I’m with you bro. He had to take Cam or Culver at 4 and didn’t. You don’t trade out of #4, specially when you get a Zion. You try and parlay it right away in that draft. Big rookie type mistake from Griff. He is great with the media, he says all the right things. His draft gets a B- imo and that’s because Zion is an A++. So basically outside of Zion, he gets a D+ from me. Jaxson Hayes at 8 is ridiculous I’m sorry. The NAW pick was good but but could have been better. NAW is a baller though so B grade there, even at 17.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Real question: Considering we've dealt contingent on an untrustworthy guy keeping his word (Pelinka), is there any way this trade falls through?

Oh Jesus please don’t. My stomach is just settling from an enormous amount of wings don’t make me think of Rob Lowe’s incompetence. I almost said impotence, that too 😆...(Pelinka’s wife nods in agreements) Oh here she is..(HE AINT LYIN). 😐 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I think you and capstone may be right on this.  

12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If they wanted Cam, the right move would have been to trade with us for us to draft Hunter but then take Cam at 8.  Much better than getting Cam at 4 even if we wouldn't have given them the same deal in this scenario (assuming we paid them a premium to agree not to take Cam at 8).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I mean....when you look at it like that, Schlenk is a freakin genius. This was a home run draft in every way, imo.  

Not to take anything away from Schlenk because I feel what he has done in the draft the last three years is absolutely tremendous, but as he pointed out in the presser it helps that we got extremely lucky this draft. 10 was about as low as Cam Reddish was ever going to fall and I'm thinking 34 is also close to the absolute lowest pick Bruno Fernando would have lasted. To be able to nab BOTH, especially Fernando who required us to jedi mind trick the Sixers was brilliant but also just ridiculously lucky. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Judging by the presser that does not seem to be the case since Schlenk said they were extremely lucky to land Reddish.

I wouldn't read it that way.  In his mind, we could easily have been extremely lucky to see him passed on at the 5, 6, 7, and 9 spots even if we paid the Pelicans in part not to draft him at 8.  Given the price we paid NO, I hope that was part of the deal.  

If it wasn't, I think the Pels made a bad call at 8 in not taking Reddish.  (I think Hayes wasn't the way to go either way.  Should have traded down again if you wanted a big.)