• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

Trae is and has been second in the league with assists per game this season for the duration but some votes were missing midway somehow. Anyway like it when he talks winning games over stats since that stuff will always be brought up. Hope he stays with that mantra because it is a better look. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 5/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, Jdawgflow said:

Anybody got a quick summary?

Good interview, worth the listen

winning feels so much better very hard to do in nba

appreciates Nate can see him back next year

Atlanta will become a free agent destination when the build winning culture

would love to represent his country on usa team. Felt slighted when he didn’t make the initial cut

He should be considered for all nba team because team is winning and stats are comparable

want to make noise in playoffs

Getting shoe deal like being drafted

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Good interview, worth the listen

winning feels so much better very hard to do in nba

appreciates Nate can see him back next year

Atlanta will become a free agent destination when the build winning culture

would love to represent his country on usa team. Felt slighted when he didn’t make the initial cut

He should be considered for all nba team because team is winning and stats are comparable

want to make noise in playoffs

Getting shoe deal like being drafted

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

“It’s more fun having something you’re pushing for and every game mean something,” Young said. “I think that’s what is making this more fun. Usually, at this point of the year, we’re just playing and trying to win a game but it’s not for anything at the end of the season. To actually be playing games and for it to mean something each game and each day is a lot better for sure.”

The biggest difference for Young this season has been figuring out how to adjust his game going from a roster that had only a few scoring options on most nights to sometimes being on the floor with four other players who also expect the ball. To Young’s credit, he’s done a good job of navigating getting his buckets while still making sure the supporting cast is engaged. What makes this roster so deadly now compared to his first two seasons is this isn’t a team that just has to rely on Young putting up 30-plus points per night to have a chance to win — the Hawks have several players who can alleviate the scoring burden.

Young deserves credit for this because it is an unfamiliar position for him to relinquish even a little bit of control of the offense when he’s on the floor and doesn’t have to be the No. 1 scoring option on almost every possession. Since high school, that’s what Young has been accustomed to and a main reason why he opted to go to Oklahoma. Nate McMillan has talked about the need for guys to sacrifice for the greater good — for Young, that is shooting less. He’s shooting three fewer attempts per game this season and three fewer 3-point attempts.

“He has some guys out on the floor with him this year that we feel can help,” McMillan said. “He doesn’t have to put so much pressure on himself to be that scorer. He has weapons out on the floor with him and what he has to do is not put that pressure on himself to win the game himself. He has some guys who can help him do that.”

Bogdanovic has turned into one of those guys who has taken pressure off Young on the offensive side of the floor. He’s averaging a career-best 16 points per game and shooting 44 percent from 3. The duo has formed a synchronous offensive attack in the backcourt and has allowed the Hawks to play a different style than they did in Young’s first two seasons. Because Bogdanovic is so polished moving off the ball, the Hawks no longer have to rely on high pick-and-roll on mostly every possession, which is what was happening before McMillan took over. The Hawks are running more off-ball sets for Bogdanovic, Gallinari and Kevin Huerter, and everyone is benefiting from it, including Young.

The partnership has grown particularly over the past two months since Bogdanovic returned from injury and solidified his place in the starting rotation. What Young likes most about Bogdanovic is how they can argue with each other and it never gets personal. All they both want to do is win.

“The other day he came up to me and said, ‘I found out I’m stubborn,'” Young said. “I was like, ‘All right bro. I’m a little stubborn too.’ We’re kind of the same people. There are times where we talk and he’ll say something to me and I’ll say something back and we’re both going at each other. (Last week), I told him he was being stubborn and he looked at me and laughed. Those little things that you learn about each other and get to joke about on the court brings you closer together. I had that type of relationship with (Nuggets forward) Mike (Porter Jr.) back in high school, and it’s kind of that MOKAN-type (former AAU team) of feel for me as far as this connection with this group.”

Bogdanovic echoed Young’s sentiments about the growing chemistry between the pair.

“What I learned in Europe is when you play with good players, you have to talk with them,” Bogdanovic said. “You have to talk to each other because we all have our egos, we know our game and we know we’re really good players, so you have to put it on the side and help each other. It’s a process and the chemistry starts with that, too. We know he’s the franchise player here. No one has a problem with it, but he has to handle it the right way, and he’s handling it pretty well. It’s amazing how mature he thinks and how he knows all of the stuff. He’s smart. Sometimes, we go in a verbal fight, a good fight, but it’s because we want to win. I don’t care what anyone says, he wants to win and everyone wants to win. We don’t like losing. That’s where the fighting starts. If you don’t fight and you’re losing, something is wrong.”

While Young’s leadership and ability to organize the offense has grown this season, there are still areas where he can improve and round out his game even more. His efficiency, even on fewer shots, has dipped. 

Another area he needs to clean up is his live-ball turnovers, which can be punishing on the team’s defense. Out of Young’s 253 turnovers, 74.7 percent of them have been live-ball turnovers, which is up over 7 percentage points from last season, per PBPStats. Young can get burned sometimes by being too aggressive with passes in tight windows, and it is something he has admitted that needs to be fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now that we have a winning team, I think the detractors will say he wins by drawing cheap fouls.  The thing is this little guy fills up the box score a variety of ways every night.  We've seen him get big scoring numbers the traditional way. 

I'm not worried about Trae.  The rest of the league and the fans have to catch up.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Now that we have a winning team, I think the detractors will say he wins by drawing cheap fouls.  The thing is this little guy fills up the box score a variety of ways every night.  We've seen him get big scoring numbers the traditional way. 

I'm not worried about Trae.  The rest of the league and the fans have to catch up.

Speaking of Which:

image.png

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Speaking of Which:

image.png

Someone listened!  I keep saying, "To win you must learn to hit your free throws!"  Apparently, someone heard.  I know.  They refer to Trae but it's true.

:laugh1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

Someone listened!  I keep saying, "To win you must learn to hit your free throws!"  Apparently, someone heard.  I know.  They refer to Trae but it's true.

:laugh1:

Everyone on this team hits free throws.  Your dream come true.  

• Thanks 1