• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

We all knew Bogi was killing once he got healthy but I didn’t realize he had a damn  .602 eFG on 13 shots.  For comparison Joe topped out at .536 on 14 shots in Phoenix in ‘04 (off the strength of a Snell-like .478 from 3). Bogi is arguably one of the most lethal scorers who “let the game come to him” face a$$.  

Trae is smart enough to look at the percentages as well as how much these guys like receiving his passes smack-dab in their shooting pockets so his decreased 3 point shooting is a no-brainer.  The coaching staff has got to manufacture some corner threes for him at some point though.  Everyone on the team shoots them at good to great frequency and efficiency (outside of Gallo’s attempts and Dre’s percentage for some reason) Trae’s corner 3s account for 3% of his total attempts.  Skylar Mays with the ideal ratio at 25% of attempts and 50% shooting, likely why his offensive rating is pretty husky with the 3:1 assist to turn.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I like that outlook. He will always have naysayers no matter what he does, so he shouldn't waste any mental space on them at all. Don't allow people who don't have your best interest in mind to have control over you.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, aali34 said:

I like that outlook. He will always have naysayers no matter what he does, so he shouldn't waste any mental space on them at all. Don't allow people who don't have your best interest in mind to have control over you.

Some guys seek out the naysayers and use them to fire themselves up.  MJ was probably the king of this.  

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 8:40 AM, benhillboy said:

We all knew Bogi was killing once he got healthy but I didn’t realize he had a damn  .602 eFG on 13 shots.  For comparison Joe topped out at .536 on 14 shots in Phoenix in ‘04 (off the strength of a Snell-like .478 from 3). Bogi is arguably one of the most lethal scorers who “let the game come to him” face a$$.  

Trae is smart enough to look at the percentages as well as how much these guys like receiving his passes smack-dab in their shooting pockets so his decreased 3 point shooting is a no-brainer.  The coaching staff has got to manufacture some corner threes for him at some point though.  Everyone on the team shoots them at good to great frequency and efficiency (outside of Gallo’s attempts and Dre’s percentage for some reason) Trae’s corner 3s account for 3% of his total attempts.  Skylar Mays with the ideal ratio at 25% of attempts and 50% shooting, likely why his offensive rating is pretty husky with the 3:1 assist to turn.

How many high usage PGs shoot corner 3s though?

I don't know that off hand, so I'll have to research it.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:07 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

How many high usage PGs shoot corner 3s though?

I don't know that off hand, so I'll have to research it.

Here are the career percentages of threes taken from the corner for the top usage guys.  I don’t count Luka as a PG he’s big as a house.  Excuse the different font from pasting:

Irving .143

D. Russell .99

Sexton .109

Ball .161

Walker .66

Murray .131

CP3 .110

Conley .177

Dennis .108

Westbrook .094

Lilliard .057

Steph .135

Fox .130

Rose .99

I didn’t compare all of the percentages to their standard three point shooting but I think Fox is the only one who has a lower corner efficiency than overall.  Most of them spike like Conley (.379 to .432) and Steph (.433 to .492)

This certainly isn’t a time to bash Trae just following up on the thought.  I think these numbers are a good raw indicator of off ball movement, finding open spots, and confidence to catch-and-shoot in any area of the floor.  Many games Trae will not attempt a shot that isn’t in the paint, circle, or at the top of the arc.  Again not criticizing the kid, just something I hope the staff works on a bit this summer.  

One thing Trae has down pat is thine hippopotamus ball sackage when it comes to clutch scoring.  He made taking on thousands of drunken New Yorkers look like a walk in Central Park causally holding an AK.  He and Ja were awesome on the road in playoff debuts no less.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

ESPN better give that man his respect. When Trae hit that shot in NY all I could think of is the song on Game’s album LAX Dope Boys. 
when he said “Tell Dre to pick up the phone before I crawl through that window like Doc I’m home”. 

Somebody better tell ESPN to pick up the phone. Lol.