• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

• Moderators
Just now, Diesel said:

When you look at the defensive talent of Smart.... He can cover a multitude of our sins.  His shooting is hurtful though.  However, if we follow up with Harris.... It forces a Cam/Hunter 3 and maybe sometimes JC to the 5 (in the future. ) but I think defense/shooting should be this offseason. 

He is a big positive on the defensive side of the ball.  He and Cam would make a heck of a defensive pairing in the backcourt.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would want him starting, but he can play and defend 1-3 and would be a steady presence in the backcourt when Trae is out. His shooting isn't great, but it's been league average for the last couple seasons. I just think a guy with that competitive spirit and who plays that hard on defense would be a great fit, especially in a playoff setting. 

38 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Not a fan of Smart. Guys who can't shoot have very little value to me unless they are low post dominant centers. No way I'd give up anything for Smart. I see him as negative value with his contract. If you are a shooting guard that can't shoot you have no place in the NBA imo.

Amen to that. It's acceptable if you're a stud like Lebron or Giannis, who can dominate from everywhere else on the court. But a shooting guard who can't shoot is like hiring a sniper who is near-sighted and never wear his glasses or contacts while on duty. Call me old-fashioned but if you can't do that as a wing, your place should be on someone else's roster.

I'd much rather keep Reddish at the two and hope he continues his good play from the end of last year than a guy who lay bricks like that. Besides, isn't one of the bugaboos on this team lack of firepower from the outside? Bringing in Smart doesn't solve that to say the least. Just me...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, neanderballer said:

I'm not sure I would want him starting, but he can play and defend 1-3 and would be a steady presence in the backcourt when Trae is out. His shooting isn't great, but it's been league average for the last couple seasons. I just think a guy with that competitive spirit and who plays that hard on defense would be a great fit, especially in a playoff setting. 

He has had one good offensive season in his career and his FG% is way below average in the rest:

2014-15 .367
2015-16 .348
2016-17 .359
2017-18 .367
2018-19 .422
2019-20 .375
Career:  .373

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If Smart spent his career in Atlanta instead of Boston, he wouldnt get a fraction of the praise he gets now.

Dude is overrated. If he didn't have the A-Hole attitude MAYBE Id consider him. But I want no part of this guy.

If you want a defensive menace that cant shoot very well, just draft Okoro.  Unlike Smart, Okoro is high character.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think this is unfair.  Supes has been sharing info on this on a much wider variety of topics than just that potential "megatrade."  The discussion around the Capela deal made it worth it for me.  The length of the thread is more a factor of how much interest people have had in this wide variety of topics.  Anyone who isn't interested in Supes' info / discussion is free to ignore.

I'm not knocking Supes, I've been defending him in this thread. My point is that we're 300+ pages and still don't know who this mystery player is in the megatrade.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Value seems reasonable but I'm not excited about adding 3 rookies from this class and I still have issues with Smart's broken shot selection.  Why a guy who averages 31% from 3pt range has found it necessary to take 4-7 per game I'll never know.  He is tough and would be a big boon to our defense.  His contract is not a big problem for us even though I think he'll want a ridiculous deal on his next contract.

So I don't blame anyone who loves this but I'm not in love with it.  If we did this (and this seems like too balanced a deal for Boston who only like abusive trades), I'd be excited for the impact for next year.

If we are doing some other deal that removes 1-2 of our young guys, then this becomes more attractive to me as far as adding 3-4 rookies (with our second round pick representing potential #4).

I read a blurb (which I can't find now) about the Hawks asking Boston to find us a player from 1 or 2 of those picks since we have no interest in 3 rookies.  (it was initially related to the Jrue trade) 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The great 2021 FA class is looking mighty dim atm. 

Went 'poof' overnight, didn't it? 

I haven't looked in a while, so I wondering if there are any 2021 FAs left that would make the Hawks hold off on an JC extension.

1 minute ago, mrhonline said:

Went 'poof' overnight, didn't it? 

I haven't looked in a while, so I wondering if there are any 2021 FAs left that would make the Hawks hold off on an JC extension.

A while back @thecampster said something about us ending up with two fewer rookie deals this off season. Most thought that meant trading or renouncing young guys, but I thought about how JC signing an extension could have the same effect. 

• Like 1