• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Trade Ideas!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Month out from the trade deadline.

Someone said recently that the Hawks best trade piece overall is probably Tony Snell.

I'd especially concur with that at that point that BogBog or Hunter gets back.

Just before the beginning of the season, I proposed Snell straight-up to MEM for Gorgui Dieng, pending the return of Jaren Jackson. That return hasn't happened yet, but I believe Woj just reported that he should be back just after the ASG. MEM fans to whom I proposed the deal seemed "meh but maybe" for the most part. And I'm sure they were even less enthusiastic once they saw how Dieng showed up for the first 5 week of the season. These last 3 though, he's either not played or not been a factor, so I'd presume they're back to "meh but maybe." That Winslow has returned is also an important consideration, b/c to the degree that he's a money offensive player, obtaining Snell is less tempting. History, though, suggests it's at least as likely that he won't be.

From our perspective, I've been yelling to anyone who would listen that we could use a serious infusion of veteran big talent sometime before we get to the playoffs (--and assuming we incrementally get healthier, I'm one who believes a playoff berth is going to happen). But to do that, seems we either have to trade Snell or alternatively rid our roster of a guaranteed contract with either Goodwin or Solo.

I like Dieng for Snell. I don't love it. But I like it.

But if Mays continues to get minutes, Goodwin (once again) becomes superfluous. Especially so if we finally see Dunn's return before the deadline. For now, it's not clear that this toying with Mays getting minutes will last. It may just be an experiment, as Goodwin had before been just an experiment. But it might not be. Can't normally get much PT for anyone more than Trae plus a back-up. Mays being a two-way, they don't actually have to do anything, but if he proves himself to LP, it's not unreasonable to think a roster slot could be opened up by cutting Goodwin in order to pick up a big.

And there remains on the market some free agent bigs who have been solid contributors and aren't actually that old. Our friend Skal Labisierre. Noah Vonleh is again w/o a team, though his release from the Nets is a yellow flag. But/and John Henson might be the smartest acquisition--pretty much know what you're getting from him, and a lot of that is similar to what Capela gives you. Good locker room reputation, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2021 at 1:00 AM, sturt said:

Month out from the trade deadline.

Someone said recently that the Hawks best trade piece overall is probably Tony Snell.

I'd especially concur with that at that point that BogBog or Hunter gets back.

Just before the beginning of the season, I proposed Snell straight-up to MEM for Gorgui Dieng, pending the return of Jaren Jackson. That return hasn't happened yet, but I believe Woj just reported that he should be back just after the ASG. MEM fans to whom I proposed the deal seemed "meh but maybe" for the most part. And I'm sure they were even less enthusiastic once they saw how Dieng showed up for the first 5 week of the season. These last 3 though, he's either not played or not been a factor, so I'd presume they're back to "meh but maybe." That Winslow has returned is also an important consideration, b/c to the degree that he's a money offensive player, obtaining Snell is less tempting. History, though, suggests it's at least as likely that he won't be.

From our perspective, I've been yelling to anyone who would listen that we could use a serious infusion of veteran big talent sometime before we get to the playoffs (--and assuming we incrementally get healthier, I'm one who believes a playoff berth is going to happen). But to do that, seems we either have to trade Snell or alternatively rid our roster of a guaranteed contract with either Goodwin or Solo.

I like Dieng for Snell. I don't love it. But I like it.

But if Mays continues to get minutes, Goodwin (once again) becomes superfluous. Especially so if we finally see Dunn's return before the deadline. For now, it's not clear that this toying with Mays getting minutes will last. It may just be an experiment, as Goodwin had before been just an experiment. But it might not be. Can't normally get much PT for anyone more than Trae plus a back-up. Mays being a two-way, they don't actually have to do anything, but if he proves himself to LP, it's not unreasonable to think a roster slot could be opened up by cutting Goodwin in order to pick up a big.

And there remains on the market some free agent bigs who have been solid contributors and aren't actually that old. Our friend Skal Labisierre. Noah Vonleh is again w/o a team, though his release from the Nets is a yellow flag. But/and John Henson might be the smartest acquisition--pretty much know what you're getting from him, and a lot of that is similar to what Capela gives you. Good locker room reputation, too.

Dieng would be a good target. He can actually hit a free throw, so that would be a major plus.

Losing Snell would be hard for me, though. Shooting is so crucial, and yet so streaky from one game to the next, we need all the help we can get. We need at least 5 guys with the ability to get hot in case 2 or 3 of them are cold. OTOH, I have a feeling that Snell can't keep his pace up all season, & he's probably due to crash so his season averages out at the end. If Hunter and Bogi come back and Cam can at least be respectable, we could probably sacrifice Snell. I like that trade idea.

I've always thought Henson would be a good get, but just enough to supplant Bruno and that's about it.

I hope Skal is physically OK, and if so, would welcome him back to see what he could do. 

If we picked up a bu big, would y'all rather lean towards a stretch offensive guy or defensive presence?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Dieng would be a good target. He can actually hit a free throw, so that would be a major plus.

Losing Snell would be hard for me, though. Shooting is so crucial, and yet so streaky from one game to the next, we need all the help we can get. We need at least 5 guys with the ability to get hot in case 2 or 3 of them are cold. OTOH, I have a feeling that Snell can't keep his pace up all season, & he's probably due to crash so his season averages out at the end. If Hunter and Bogi come back and Cam can at least be respectable, we could probably sacrifice Snell. I like that trade idea.

I've always thought Henson would be a good get, but just enough to supplant Bruno and that's about it.

I hope Skal is physically OK, and if so, would welcome him back to see what he could do. 

If we picked up a bu big, would y'all rather lean towards a stretch offensive guy or defensive presence?

With Gallo at the 4 a Defensive backup big.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bol Bol is tall, he isn't a big though.

I don’t why coaches aren't giving this guy a chance. He was blocking 4 shots a game in college. Being big doesn't count for anything in this league anymore on defense because the nba wont let you touch anybody with out a foul being called.  On offense he has guard like skills and a very good jump shot. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

I don’t why coaches aren't giving this guy a chance. He was blocking 4 shots a game in college. Being big doesn't count for anything in this league anymore on defense because the nba wont let you touch anybody with out a foul being called.  On offense he has guard like skills and a very good jump shot. 

A strong wind could also blow him over.  He gets pushed around way too easy.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Oladipo on the trade block yall! There goes our starting SG.

Another injured guy to add to our plethora.......grreeeeat! And one that is slated to become a FA and just turned down a 2yr/$45 mil extension.

That's a Hellz Naw for me!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Another injured guy to add to our plethora.......grreeeeat! And one that is slated to become a FA and just turned down a 2yr/$45 mil extension.

That's a Hellz Naw for me!

We probably cant make any moves this summer. Hopefully we can get Gallo and Rondo off the books. Guy I like are TMJR, McConnell, Fournier, Conley,

I rarely propose any trade ideas because I don't know how realistic they are and I hate reading unrealistic trade ideas, so.....

But saying that, I'm going to throw one out anyway.  Is this at all realistic and would anyone be interested:

Hawks Get:

PJ Tucker

Vic Oladipo

Rockets Get:

Snell

Goodwin

Gallo

Protected 1st

OKC Pick

The logic behind this trade is that it provides frontcourt depth behind JC while also providing help in the backcourt.  I realize both players are FA this summer, but my contention is that the front office is in win now mode and these players would help immediately without giving up any of the core.  You have to add the picks to unload Gallo's contract which may be unmovable. Doing this deal would also open up ~20 Mil in FA this summer if Vic and PJ both left.  

Thoughts?  

Edited by REHawksFan

Hawks aren't trading Gallinari. 

Its Rondo and Snell that being shopped outside of JC. 

I've given consideration to Oladipo as well. I just don't see an easy trade to make. 

Snell and Kevin for Oladipo might be too rich for me considering Oladipo is a rental. I don't like trading any other core piece either. Kevin is clearly the most expendable young wing due to his lack of fit with Trae and Bogi presence who's similar to Huerter. 

As for JC, if we move him, there are three potential places I'll consider:

Denver - Michael Porter Jr. 

Phoenix - Mikal Bridges 

Brooklyn - Spencer Dinwiddie and Joe Harris for Bogi and JC. Bogi has a NTC but I am sure he would waive it for Brooklyn. 

All three of these moves provide major help to key areas for us. Porter Jr for scoring, Bridges for two way play from the wing position and Dinwiddie for PG depth behind Trae and Harris gives us an elite shooter who can defend that can play next to Trae Young. 

Other than this, we need to try to get the highest lottery level pick if we move JC

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Brooklyn - Spencer Dinwiddie a

Dinwiddie is currently injured with a partially torn ACL and won't return this season and can't since BKN received a DPE for him. If BKN trades him they also lose the DPE.   Spencer will also most likely opt out of his player option for next season.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

You have to add the picks to unload Gallo's contract which may be unmovable

Having to add assets to move Gallo this quickly  will be a big Schlenk fail, particularly if the return are two free agents that can just walk and I don't trust that Dipo will stay healthy to help the 'win now'. PJ Tucker is the PF version of Rondo this year - he also looks done.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dinwiddie is currently injured with a partially torn ACL and won't return this season and can't since BKN received a DPE for him. If BKN trades him they also lose the DPE.   Spencer will also most likely opt out of his player option for next season.

I know he's out and has a PO. But he should be cost friendly and I know in the past he has had interest in playing for the Hawks. Joe Harris is my primary target 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I know he's out and has a PO. But he should be cost friendly and I know in the past he has had interest in playing for the Hawks. Joe Harris is my primary target 

Cost friendly is JC for an injured guy that can leave? Because the rest of the deal is Bogi for Harris.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cost friendly is JC for an injured guy that can leave? Because the rest of the deal is Bogi for Harris.

JC is not cost friendly future speaking though. That's why he's on the trading block. 

Bogi for Harris would not appeal to Brooklyn at all.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

JC is not cost friendly future speaking though. That's why he's on the trading block. 

Bogi for Harris would not appeal to Brooklyn at all.

Thats why this doesn't make sense.

Edit: So in your trade we still have no backup PG and now no starting PF and what we get is another guy who isn't really a ball handler next to Trae as good as he his as a shooter.