• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Trade Ideas!

JayBirdHawk

On 3/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, Gray Mule said:

I've heard a rumor.  I don't remember where.

"Expect the Hawks to make a small move by the trade deadline."

(What ever that means.  I don't know either.)

:search:

Wouldn't this be the ideal time for this to happen.  Just waiting for the re-start!

😜

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, warcore said:

1.The first link, Wolters Kluwer, is a reputable source. I don't see evidence suggesting vegan diet being superior for athletes:
Many athletes already consume enough protein or even excessive amounts of protein, often through supplementation with powders. However, many athletes may not be eating protein in an optimal pattern to maximize muscle protein synthesis. To ensure optimal healing, athletes should consume protein consistently and distribute it evenly throughout the day at 20 to 30 g per meal or snack, rather than back-loading protein at dinner, which is common in American culture. A portion with 20 to 30 g of protein equates to one of these: 3 eggs; 1 cup cottage cheese; 1 cup Greek yogurt; 3 to 4 oz of meat, poultry, or fish; two thirds of a 14-oz cake of firm tofu; or 1.25 cups of black beans. Vegetarians also can get quality protein from soy-based food. Almond milk is popular, but it is low in protein compared with cow or soy milk.
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) such as leucine, isoleucine, and valine are used clinically to boost healing after musculoskeletal injury or surgery. Individuals suffering from physical trauma need to rapidly manufacture new body tissues while making sure that cells not affected by the injury remain healthy. Some studies have shown that BCAAs have a special capacity to boost protein synthesis and inhibit protein breakdown that none of the other amino acids have. Of the BCAAs, leucine may be the most useful (
8) and can be found readily in food such as chicken breast, lean beef, tuna, salmon, turkey breast, eggs, and peanuts.

2. BMC also seems to be reputable:

Vegan athletes however appear to consume less protein than their omnivorous and vegetarian counterparts [11]. The optimisation of protein intakes for vegan athlete requires that attention is paid to the quantity and quality of protein consumed [41]. Plant-based protein sources are often incomplete, missing important essential amino acids, and typically contain less Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) than their animal-based equivalents [34, 35]. Leucine appears to be a primary trigger of MPS, and plays an important role in promoting recovery and adaptation from exercise

3. Men's Journal? This is not a reputable source. It's plagued with advertisement and clearly has an agenda. Not even going to waste my time with this. Just another company that's riding the popular 'natural means safe' misconception that most of the world has fallen to in order to make billions of dollars off mislead individuals. Natural does NOT mean safe. If it did, why don't you see people eating water hemlock and Jimson weed more commonly?

4. Oxford is also a reputable source but this article is over 20 years old and is more of a hypothetical hope:

A vegetarian diet per se is not associated with improved aerobic endurance performance; however, other benefits make this dietary regimen worthy of consideration by serious athletes
A well-planned vegetarian diet can provide athletes with adequate amounts of all known nutrients, although the potential for suboptimal iron, zinc, trace element, and protein intake exists if the diet is too restrictive. 

Thank you for sharing these! I'm still not seeing good evidence that favors vegetarian diet for athletes though. It's clear that many people hope that that's true because so many people see others making billions of dollars over natural medicine products that have not been tested, essential oils, and the like. It's become extremely popular, yes. But popular doesn't mean factual or effective. 

I think I'll take the advice from the 3 good sources and continue to feed myself from my gardens as well as animal products from my QOM trips to Costco. 

Thank you for taking the time to review these.  I am not specifically advocating for vegetarian/vegan diet for athletes, more of a whole food low inflammatory diet.  Specifically, the reason I brought these articles up in response to the idea of vegan diet leading to ligament damage and being inferior to a meat eating diet and “bacon”.  In regards to number 3, I thought the men’s journal article was just a nice tidy summary article.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'd love for Travis to come up with a way to acquire some depth at the Center position without giving up any rotation piece, but I honestly don't see it.  At this point, my honest opinion is that they stick with what they have and see how much better they get just by getting healthy.  And I don't really see anything wrong with that either.  

I'm responding here and not in the coaches search thread.

Rondo for Mason Plumlee and a 2nd

Rondo and OKC 1st for George Hill, Mike Muscala and a 2nd.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I really hate Plumlee but might be more useful that Rondo has been.

George Hill and Muskie would be nice additions.   Do you think we really need to send a 1st in that deal though?   It saves okc some money.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

George Hill and Muskie would be nice additions.   Do you think we really need to send a 1st in that deal though?   It saves okc some money.  

I think most think George Hill is worth a late 1st from a contender.  Hill's contract next season is also only guaranteed at $1.2 million.  OKC would be on the hook for Rondo at $7.5 mil next season.

Never been a fan either, but Plumlee is putting up 10ppg/9 rpg - he's a big active body.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think most think George Hill is worth a late 1st from a contender.  Hill's contract next season is also only guaranteed at $1.2 million.  OKC would be on the hook for Rondo at $7.5 mil next season.

Never been a fan either, but Plumlee is putting up 10ppg/9 rpg - he's a big active body.

Ah.  Thanks.   Hill would be a huge addition i think and Muscala always hustles and shoots well.   At this point i don't care that much about late firsts. 

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

Ah.  Thanks.   Hill would be a huge addition i think and Muscala always hustles and shoots well.   At this point i don't care that much about late firsts. 

The OKC pick is for 2022 and is lottery protected, if not conveyed in 2022,  it will be 2 2nds in 2024 and 2025

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We'd also have to send out a player like Goodwin since we are taking on 2 players (we are at 15 max players)

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, sturt said:

Don't know how it could be constructed... not seeing that it realistically could be... but PJ Tucker would be a marvelous addition to the low post inventory.

Correction.

Malcontents need not apply.

Given Tucker's reportedly pulling himself out of last night's game against his head coach's direction, that's just not okay.

Never thought of Tucker as a prima donna, but he now joins Cousins on the blacklist.

I remember seeing PJ Tucker at an awards show in like tight red leather, sequins and whatnot.  IOW, doing that stupid weird fashion thing that guys like Westbrook, Harden, etc. do.

Him throwing a temper tantrum as if he's some star player is very much 'in character' for him despite his rep as some rugged roleplayer type.  He's clearly been reading his own press clippings.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sturt said:

Correction.

Malcontents need not apply.

Given Tucker's reportedly pulling himself out of last night's game against his head coach's direction, that's just not okay.

Never thought of Tucker as a prima donna, but he now joins Cousins on the blacklist.

Usually guys are pulled when a trade is imminent. But not like two weeks away. 

The Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly keen to acquire Atlanta Hawks big man John Collins.

On The Bill Simmons Podcast (19:30 mark), NBAwriter Jackie MacMullan said the Timberwolves are "dying" to trade for the 23-year-old.

🏿 let them die then... 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Collins Trade Rumors: Timberwolves 'Dying' to Make Move for Hawks Star

Let me guess though not dying enough to obviously flip KAT or Ant 🐜...

Dying to rip us off... oh Minny, we aint the ones... that’d be the Knicks..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Jdawgflow said:

Thank you for taking the time to review these.  I am not specifically advocating for vegetarian/vegan diet for athletes, more of a whole food low inflammatory diet.  Specifically, the reason I brought these articles up in response to the idea of vegan diet leading to ligament damage and being inferior to a meat eating diet and “bacon”.  In regards to number 3, I thought the men’s journal article was just a nice tidy summary article.

If we don't eat yummy foods then we rr gonna miss out. Life is too short. Do u really  wanna die without eat yummy foods like a strawberry frosted cake

54 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

John Collins Trade Rumors: Timberwolves 'Dying' to Make Move for Hawks Star

Let me guess though not dying enough to obviously flip KAT or Ant 🐜...

Dying to rip us off... oh Minny, we aint the ones... that’d be the Knicks..

Hope they don't die tho

• Haha 2

I dont want their pick. We're kind of "youth'd out" if you ask me. High picks that are drafted on potential and need plenty of playing time to develop are not going to fit on a roster that can barely develop our own guys anymore as is. Keeping our pick, likely in the teens, we will start drafting more high floor, older, NBA ready guys that can ride the bench but still contribute in a pinch a la Mays and Knight

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hylndr11 said:

I'd take thier pick.  Were deving these guys, OO will get lots of jc mins and if we got a top 3 pick I'd take that 

what pick? The Warriors are getting their 2021 pick if it’s not top 3 

• Like 2