• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Agreed, and I imagine moving assets for that 1 missing piece at shooting guard is a lot easier to pull off in isolation than trying to find pillars at the 2 and the 4 at the same time.

Its clear where our weakest link is in the starting unit, no need to create another hole just to save a buck when its looking more and more likely that nobody else from the young core will ever be worth what JC and eventually Dre will end up with.

Most definitely I agree

I think we need to be patient with the shooting guard "problem".  Look what Kevin has done in February.  Also has shown some improvement on defense.

DATE OPP RESULT MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
Wed 2/10 @DAL 35 9-15 60.0 4-7 57.1 1-2 50.0 8 3 0 1 2 0 23
Sat 2/6 vsTOR 37 6-9 66.7 5-8 62.5 2-2 100.0 3 4 0 0 3 2 19
Thu 2/4 vsUTAH 34 7-14 50.0 2-5 40.0 0-0 0.0 1 1 1 3 2 3 16
Wed 2/3 vsDAL 39 8-15 53.3 4-8 50.0 1-1 100.0 5 10 0 2 3 2 21
Mon 2/1 vsLAL 39 3-8 37.5 3-5 60.0 1-2 50.0 4 3 0 0 1 0 10
FEBRUARY 36.6 6.6-12.2 54.1 3.6-6.6 54.5 1.0-1.4 71.4 4.2 4.2 0.2 1.2 2.2 1.4 17.8
Edited by marco102

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yes, so true.

I too believe we played the best hand from an organization perspective. JC is willing to gamble on his FA value, but if we are comfortable matching regardless, then it wont matter in the end

Yeah i get that.  This is why i just hope that they are communicating with him because this media reporting is only going to ramp up as we get closer to the deadline and true or not the whole 'hawks are listening to offers' has a way of creating distractions at the very least.  

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah i get that.  This is why i just hope that they are communicating with him because this media reporting is only going to ramp up as we get closer to the deadline and true or not the whole 'hawks are listening to offers' has a way of creating distractions at the very least.  

There was similar trade chatter last season about JC around the deadline.  He addressed and understood it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yes, so true.

I too believe we played the best hand from an organization perspective. JC is willing to gamble on his FA value, but if we are comfortable matching regardless, then it wont matter in the end

This is what I think is going to happen. Schlenk wants to keep I believe. This version of collins is what the hawks needed all along ! 
collins paired with capela defensively allows us to comfortably pay him based on what we’ve seen. They are a very good defensive tandem. Now as far as bigs we just need a more quality center when capela sits.

at the end of the day collins box stats are down but he way more impactful on the game this season and still getting better. If we can somehow add a Zach Levine SG we’d have a very good team.

im not for trading any young core players but I would make a trade for Zach in a heartbeat. Bogi, rondo, Snell + 1st rd draft pick for Zach + filler 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

What's the news that JC could be traded soon trending on Twitter. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  (An actual trade.  Chatter I expect as he is a desirable player that is perfect for rumors given his RFA status after this season.)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

And with his noticeably improved defense, there is just no reason not to want to keep him.  He would be very tough to replace indeed.  Keep your young, hard working studs and if you have to overpay a bit to do it then so be it.

Yea, if we let JC go then Ressler is full out it. The only reason to let him walk or trade him is financial, there's no basketball case to be made.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

And with his noticeably improved defense, there is just no reason not to want to keep him.  He would be very tough to replace indeed.  Keep your young, hard working studs and if you have to overpay a bit to do it then so be it.

Even a 4/100 is pretty good considering his improvement. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

JC has shown season by season growth. He's near max value as it stands and if you feel that a max is an overpay does that mean the Hawks think he won't continue to improve? 

He's transformed from a rim runner who played half of his minutes at center to a 3&D power-forward that can score in the midrange and attack mismatches consistently. The main things he can improve on left are playmaking, self creation, and ball handling. He's shown that he's willing to work and he's been the vocal leader and representative for the Hawks. He's a quality pro.

If you look at him like a stock, he's shown he's a guy worth taking a risk on.

• Like 2

From history, a long time ago, before most of you existed.

Baseball, this was before free agency, Ralph Kiner, was an all star player for the Pirates.  After the season he went to the head honcho, asking for a raise.

Kiner was asked, "Where did the Pirates end up when the season was over?"  "In last place"  was his reply.  "Well, we could have finished in last place without you.  Request for a raise denied."

Collins wants a big raise.  Can't blame him for that.  Just saying, we could lose games like we're doing now without Collins.

Collins is good, borderline great.  Hawks, with Collins right now, is stinking up the NBA.  Our horse keeps getting out of his stable because we don't know how to close the door.  Can't fire the entire team.  Tell me again, what was the name of that coach that Pop thinks so much of?  I forget her name.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1