• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - Max kat, 90 million-4yrs kat, or Gallo salary kat

NBASupes

A family member of mine claimed they sat next to John's agent at the last home game and got to talking. She is a spry 39-ish but looks like she is still 30, and likes to rub shoulders with influential types. 

So, my dad and I were talking during father's day about the team and he asked me if I thought John should get the max, before I could answer she jumps in and says, " I met his agent, he told me they are going to ask for 180."

I said, 180 what, million? She was like, yeah! 

I chuckled

There is no way he is getting that from us or anyone else. That would be 5 yrs at 36 per. 

I didn't dig any deeper to find out the context or validity as I didn't want to get too caught up during family time. 

I would like John to resign for $25 per, but I think he  goes no lower than $30 per after these playoffs.

$180 may be a bit too much, even if he finds a team willing to pay that. I really hope this isn't true, and that whoever she met was just trying to impress her with his upcoming %10 commission.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, Wurider05 said:

Bringing John back isn't the issue. Bringing John back on a max contract is the issue. We can't shoot ourselves in the foot overpaying guys. Love dude but he isn't a max player. 

Gallo starts full time if we don't bring back JC, with his backup being Solo or Nathan Knight or some other free agent.

Hey, maybe we can bring Jabari Parker back.

Sign JC to the max.  Deal with the consequences later.

And let's not act like Ressler wouldn't pay some Luxury Tax, if we're a NBA Finals contender for the next few years.

There's no more cheap ownership in ATL.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

Fwiw, the max salary a non-supermax player with up to 6 yrs of experience is going to be ~$180m (including 8% raises for all 5 years)... assuming the most current projections, which I think came out in December.

There are two absolutely predictable things for any given player and/or his agent going into free agency... he loves playing for his current team, and he believes he's worth the max.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Gallo starts full time if we don't bring back JC, with his backup being Solo or Nathan Knight or some other free agent.

Hey, maybe we can bring Jabari Parker back.

Sign JC to the max.  Deal with the consequences later.

And let's not act like Ressler wouldn't pay some Luxury Tax, if we're a NBA Finals contender for the next few years.

There's no more cheap ownership in ATL.

he's a hawk no matter what in my estimation. they're going to match whatever 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He won't get 180 million.

But if we get to the Finals or win the Championship, they may appease him and give him more than whatever the 4 year max another team can give him.

5 yrs / 160 m . . . a flat 32 m per year.  And give him an opt out after Year 4.

That's a very good deal that is beyond fair for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

before I could answer she jumps in and says, " I met his agent, he told me they are going to ask for 180."

I said, 180 what, million? She was like, yeah! 

I chuckled

Yeah, that's not happening.  Trae will get his designated 5 year max. The Hawks will hold the second one they're allowed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

Fwiw, the max salary a non-supermax player with up to 6 yrs of experience is going to be ~$180m (including 8% raises for all 5 years)... assuming the most current projections, which I think came out in December.

There are two absolutely predictable things for any given player and/or his agent going into free agency... he loves playing for his current team, and he believes he's worth the max.

That is the most perfect post and needed to be said

On NBA radio Kamla and AD, aka you and me were discussing WHO GON GET PAID DOH 😣 

Ayton ✔️ 

Reggie Jackson ✔️ 

Bobby “pudgy” Portis ✔️ 

John Collins? 🤔 To be fair they didn’t mention Collins but I figured if those guys are in line for a raise, does JC get the max?

• Like 1

I am not mad at JC for wanting the max he can get but be careful what we you wish for. It's a dime a dozen to find PFs who can do well with Trae. Capela without Trae looks like a Noel but with Trae, he's one of the best impact players in the NBA. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am not mad at JC for wanting the max he can get but be careful what we you wish for. It's a dime a dozen to find PFs who can do well with Trae. Capela without Trae looks like a Noel but with Trae, he's one of the best impact players in the NBA. Be careful what you wish for.

Indeed. You are wise sir. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I kind of like that both Portis and JC will be free agents.  Should be an interesting thought experiment matched with a real life playing out.

Both are going to wealthy men. I dont know what Portis will get, but rest assured, it will be a significant raise. 

27 minutes ago, JTB said:

180 mil???? I thought JCs max he could get was 120 over 5 years !

This the first I’m hearing of 180 mil over 5….I like JC but that scares me

We probably end up letting the market decide by matching. I think JC and his agent are dug in at this point, and Hawks probably feel the same way about their price point. If they feel he was worth 4/90 last summer, I dont see anything that would have changed that. We know he's a great locker room guy, no question. But as a basketball player he is good, but he's not elite. He disappears too often, and he can out muscled by other bigs. He is still a 17 and 8 guy on solid efficiency, and that is very good. I personally think the Hawk's offer was a fair one. I doubt any team is giving JC 30 per, we will see though. 

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

We probably end up letting the market decide by matching. I think JC and his agent are dug in at this point, and Hawks probably feel the same way about their price point. If they feel he was worth 4/90 last summer, I dont see anything that would have changed that. We know he's a great locker room guy, no question. But as a basketball player he is good, but he's not elite. He disappears too often, and he can out muscled by other bigs. He is still a 17 and 8 guy on solid efficiency, and that is very good. I personally think the Hawk's offer was a fair one. I doubt any team is giving JC 30 per, we will see though. 

Yeah 180 mil is ridiculous. Now I can see what all the fuss was about on what a potential max for JC could do by hurting the future.

this whole time I was thinking his max was 120 and saying ok that’s a lot for him but we will survive it. But 180 mil????? MAN!….if he gets anywhere close to that I think the hawks lose that deal no matter how you try to swing it.

do I think a nba team would offer him a deal close to 180 mil?? Hell no! Not at all BUT there’s always a desperate team out there so you never know.