Official Game Thread: Clippers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

We need to talk more about dropping Wright out of the rotation. Huge mistake. He is the best defensive guard we have BY FAR and we need him in the rotation. Dropping him out to give Lou more minutes is insane. 

I agree. Unless Lou really has it going, I'd rather pay Wright.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I don't think Lou will get more minutes. I think we'll see an uptick in Trae's minutes especially.  Then I think Bogi, Kevin and Gallo will see the rest of his minutes.

I get that Delon has been really good defensively but he cannot make a pass and cannot organize that 2nd unit.

• Premium Member

Question was asked - - "Where is everyone?"  I was watching the game.

I'm so old that I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I can watch the game or I can post here.  I can't do both.  Therefore, I watch.

Tough game most of the night for both teams.  Double teck after being caught walking resulted in being tossed.  Turned the game for the Hawks.  A desperately needed victory.  

Nate admits that he's not wise enough to manage a 10 player rotation.  At least that's his reasoning about leaving Wright on the pine.  Bull feathers!

Some of the same players that Squawk posters have talked bad about were the ones who made this win possible last night.  Proves that they are not always wrong.

Still safely below that magical .500 mark!

GO ATL HAWKS!

:hi:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Sothron said:

We need to talk more about dropping Wright out of the rotation. Huge mistake. He is the best defensive guard we have BY FAR and we need him in the rotation. Dropping him out to give Lou more minutes is insane. 

I don't understand the need to drop to a 9 man rotation?  The 2nd Unit has been killing it for this team.  That 2nd unit is:

Lou, Delon, Bogi, Gallo, and OO. 

Yeah, you can put these guys with the starters but as a unit, this team gets it done.  It's the perfect mix of offense and defense and it represents a change in tempo/style when they hit the floor.   I don't understand the reasoning of going to a 9 man rotation.  It can't be minutes. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hunter's recent success has involved him getting his ass off the three point line and slashing towards the middle with the ball.   Hunter is not a ball handler and shouldn't be thought of as such... however, a 3 dribble inside move is something that he can do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Hunter's recent success has involved him getting his ass off the three point line and slashing towards the middle with the ball.   Hunter is not a ball handler and shouldn't be thought of as such... however, a 3 dribble inside move is something that he can do. 

Inside outside. He was playing outside no inside. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Hunter is capable of 3 level scoring. Of late, he seems to be having a knee issue. He's just not as agile as he was earlier this year 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Inside outside. He was playing outside no inside. 

Oh.. it shows.  His 3 rpg suggests that he's glued to the three  point line.   Our offense needs that wing that goes inside to score.  The only guy who does it with consistency is Gallo...  I don't know who reinforced that in his brain but you will see Gallo get a small guy on his hip.. take him closer to the inside and BBQ Chicken.   Well, Hunter should be more athletic than he shows and he should be able to go inside. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter is capable of 3 level scoring. Of late, he seems to be having a knee issue. He's just not as agile as he was earlier this year 

Him and his MR. GLASS impersonation is really starting to wear on this team.   I don't like to scold guys for being injured... especially if they are playing through the injury.. however,  Every season Hunter is hurt.   And it effects what we see on the court. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He mentioned in the presser, he had to move to 9 players in the rotation. I don't think he really likes Wright's value. 

There is no need to move to 9 players. You only do that if you don't have enough talent to go 10 deep. We have that. And if I had to pick between Lou "I'm going to retire at the end of the season and can't defend a kitten" Williams or Delon I know which one I would go with to get to a 9 player rotation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Oh.. it shows.  His 3 rpg suggests that he's glued to the three  point line.   

How do you correlate Hunter's lack of DEFENSIVE rebounding to shooting 3s. 

Defensive rebounding is where he needs to improve most.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How do you correlate Hunter's lack of DEFENSIVE rebounding to shooting 3s. 

Defensive rebounding is where he needs to improve most.

You're right.. I thought about it wrong. 

We really got to give some love to Huerter and Okongwu.  Okongwu had back to back three point play dunks in the 4th.  Huerter had two last second bombs in the final minutes of the game.  That was 12 points of destruction between the two of them.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We really got to give some love to Huerter and Okongwu.  Okongwu had back to back three point play dunks in the 4th.  Huerter had two last second bombs in the final minutes of the game.  That was 12 points of destruction between the two of them.  

Huerter also with 8 rebounds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

What is it with Atlanta sports teams and getting defensive coaches that can't coach defense? Wright and Okonguw the two best defensive players on the team and we reduce their minutes. Someone make it make sense. 

This is yet another reason why I wouldn't be mad if we moved on from Nate and some of these assistants. Nate is too rigid with rotations, seems to play guys less when they should be playing more, ignores Jalen and Sharife despite multiple legit opportunities to get them into games (read: when the game has been comfortably decided or due to injury) and hasn't implemented a versatile offense. I wish Delon could score, but he's a strong defender on a team that is full of subpar-to-average-at-best defenders.

Edited by TheTruth

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

There is no need to move to 9 players. You only do that if you don't have enough talent to go 10 deep. We have that. And if I had to pick between Lou "I'm going to retire at the end of the season and can't defend a kitten" Williams or Delon I know which one I would go with to get to a 9 player rotation. 

All of this all day long.

Like everyone else, I'm very happy to see what we got from OO and Huerter yesterday.  When those guys step up, it makes the whole game flow so much better.  That said, I do have to point out that Huerter and Bogi collectively took 24 FGA yesterday and had 0 FTA.  To get more consistency from them, they need to start finding ways to get to the line consistently.  Some nights your jumper won't be on and that is how to contribute when it isn't on.

• Like 1