Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

47 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

High volume Individual scoring is so overrated by NBA fans.  You got 4 other guys not fully engaged to do the countless other things needed to win let alone a predictable set of attacks to load up on late.  Championship level teams always have scoring balance.  Bird, Magic, and Isaiah showed me that when I first started watching.  Give me 4 dudes with 17  over 2 dudes with 40 and 28 any day.

The balanced scoring is great for regular season basketball.  In the playoffs though, you need guys who have the ability to put up great individual performances.  If you don't have that, you're dead in the water.  Rotations normally shorten, and main guys play more minutes during playoff basketball.

A huge reason why the 2000s Pistons only won 1 NBA championship, is because they didn't have that alpha dog scorer that could take over a game, when the other players were playing below average.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok my eyes and +/- don’t agree. I watched the game, I don’t trust this analytics.. so Trae was a -5 and Bogi was a +15. 

Great win nonetheless. Our team is jelling at the perfect time and I believe we are 2 back of the Cavs and own a 3-1 series win with them this year so get the tiebreaker. I think I have us tying and we get the tie breaker. We need to and win out. Raps will be tough on the road, they are striding too.

LETS GET IT!

0B9AD488-A8C1-4C31-8F55-14DD1A697FE8.jpeg

That's about right.   

The Nets made all of their big runs when Trae was in the game ( which will look bad on his defensive rating, by the way ), even if he wasn't the reason why they made the run.

The 2nd unit was outstanding tonight.  They built the lead both times they were on the floor.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

And as sweet as this feels right now, we are nowhere near outta the woods just yet. Brooklyn has a cakewalk schedule, Cleveland still has a two game lead with 4 to go. Anything less than a 3-1 finish could see us finish 9th or 10th.

Facts.

Brooklyn is not dead yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/3-reasons-kevin-durant-better-scorer-michael-jordan

#1 Kevin Durant’s length, wingspan and high release point gives him a massive advantage over Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan was listed at 6'6" and had a wingspan of about 6'10", 6'11". Kevin Durant, at 6'10", is a full four inches taller than MJ. Durant has a reported wingspan of 7'5". That is six inches more than Jordan’s wingspan, which means that Durant hardly has any defenders capable of defending him. Durant simply shoots over guys who are smaller than him and if opponents send bigger players (power forwards) to guard him, he just blows by them on account of his superior athleticism.

#2 Kevin Durant has shot above 50.0% from the field in eight NBA seasons (and counting) compared to only six for Michael Jordan

#3 Kevin Durant is hands down the better three-point and free-throw shooter than Michael Jordan

This is a no-contest area. Kevin Durant is a career 38.4% three-point shooter and 88.3% free throw shooter. Michael Jordan, in contrast, shot just 32.7% from downtown and a healthy 83.5% from the charity stripe.

Look, Durant is a great player and one of the great all-time scorers. BUT you are bonkers if you think that means he's better than the all-time best to ever do it. Jordan played in the more physical hand-check era, so don't bring me modern era stats and act like they are some kind of legitimate comparison. Anyone with a pair of functioning eyes and a brain that watched both play will tell you Jordan was the best scorer the game has ever seen. Period. 

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Look, Durant is a great player and one of the great all-time scorers. BUT you are bonkers if you think that means he's better than the all-time best to ever do it. Jordan played in the more physical hand-check era, so don't bring me modern era stats and act like they are some kind of legitimate comparison. Anyone with a pair of functioning eyes and a brain that watched both play will tell you Jordan was the best scorer the game has ever seen. Period. 

Strictly from a scoring perspective they are close. The 80s are one of the most defensively overrated eras in the history of the NBA, early 90s and early 2000s were infinitely tougher defensively. Overall Durant has averaged around 27 points per 36 mins in 18 shots. vs Jordan 28 in 21 shots. You can debate about Jordan doing it in a "tougher" era, but Durant would have averaged 35 if he played back in 1986 as well IMHO. NO ONE except a couple of teams were playing any defense back then, and if you don't believe go look at the team averages in points and efficiency back then and compare it to today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Delon Wright made 3 threes.  We needed all of them on a night in which Bogi and Kevin went 1- 13 from 3.

Great game overall.

This is going to make us massively Dangerous.   Delon and the play of our second unit.  We got to keep those guys healthy,

• Like 2

Lest we forget:  Last night's opponent had 2 starters and some bench players missing.

At times last night the Hawks couldn't score at all - - And they missed so many free throws!

Let's all look and see if we already have our second star.

(Hint:  What do we want him to do?  What does Gallo do?)

:smug:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Strictly from a scoring perspective they are close. The 80s are one of the most defensively overrated eras in the history of the NBA, early 90s and early 2000s were infinitely tougher defensively. Overall Durant has averaged around 27 points per 36 mins in 18 shots. vs Jordan 28 in 21 shots. You can debate about Jordan doing it in a "tougher" era, but Durant would have averaged 35 if he played back in 1986 as well IMHO. NO ONE except a couple of teams were playing any defense back then, and if you don't believe go look at the team averages in points and efficiency back then and compare it to today. 

Just since RandomFan laguhed as a reaction here are the stats of 1986 compared to today:

1986: average team PPG: 109ppg Average shots taken: 88 pace: 100

2022: average team ppg:  110ppg Average shots taiken: 88; pace: 98

So yea, how could this be? How could the 80s where every team was piledriving offensive players to the ground like the bad boy Pistons have teams scoring at will almost at an identical rate to today? Is it because every team was just infinitely better offensively than today? I don't think so, rather maybe the notion every team in the 80s was defending like the "bad boys" is a complete BS myth? Fact is majority, I mean majority of the teams didn't give a single hint of effort on defense back then, and the showtime Lakers popularized an insane pace that inflated scoring in that decade... just like scoring is inflated now. 

So yea, in the 90s through to the early 2000s that was the real slow pace, grind it out defensive era. You had teams like Detroit and Sixers who were pretty bad offensively make Finals appearance on defense alone. During the era Jordan's was averaging around 28-30 ppg not the 37-35 he was averaging in the 80s. So yea, this is all to say the notion you have to add like 5 extra points to Jordan's average to account for the defense of his era is BS to me. Both Jordan and Druant spent about an equal amount of time in defensively bereft eras. I do think Jordan gets the edge, but Durant is damn close. If you talk defense and overall all around game though then that's where Jordan laps him. 

• Premium Member

This was nice, if more of our players cut to the basket for these types of easy points - Trae will find them for the easy scores.

Bogi not settling for the 3 here (unlike the spin-o-rama he did from 3, lol)

• Like 3