• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: heat at Hawks -- GAME 3

lethalweapon3

37 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I mean I understand the history, but in today's time it's considered Serbia.  Wasn't there like a terrible war between the Yugo's that lead to the split. I know Serbians and Croatians were part of that. 

There were a few conflicts, but the main one was between Bosnia and Serbia.  I spent time traveling through Eastern Europe when I was in college and then taught English to some Bosnian refugees who came to the US.  
Dude was a trained soldier by NATO but was working in a factory.  Young family but living through a war made them seem decades older. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 4/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, Diesel said:

BYE BYE BONKIERS

BYE BYE TERRELL

BYE BYE PERIOABIRD

BYE BYE SUPES

If Clint plays game 4... Hawks in 6.

Why did my name come up in this thread?  I was on the road during the game.  Didn't make a single comment on this thread.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why did my name come up in this thread?  I was on the road during the game.  Didn't make a single comment on this thread.

My apologies.  I was having flashbacks. 

17 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If a QB has his leading receiver out of the game, as well as one of his blocking RBs that helps protect him on 3rd down, that QB may struggle a little bit before he finally figures out how to be effective.

Game 1:

image.png.c41de6229d3081309eabd2b25735da10.png

image.png.cffa39b15483530ad537b828ec786d7d.png

No defending this at all.  This is trash, and everybody knows it.  8 points - 4 assists.  1 - 12 FG.   6 turnovers.  That's not going to cut it, even if he were a role player.

Game 2:

image.png.44ec736b70ebfa8fec4bfc55be670186.png

image.png.51ee39171fc65b07ac5b4e1918c248ae.png

The early 3 point jacks in the 1st quarter when his shot was obviously off, was unacceptable.  From about the 3 minute mark in the 1st, until halftime, he was very good with limited turnovers.  The 3rd quarter, he was too passive offensively and way too careless with his passing, which led to 5 turnovers in that quarter.  In the 4th quarter, he goes 1 - 5 FG, has 3 pts - 3 assists and was +5 for the quarter.  His shots that quarter:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=4&EndRange=28800&GameID=0042100102&PlayerID=1629027&RangeType=1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Playoffs&StartPeriod=4&StartRange=21600&TeamID=1610612737&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

The only questionable shot in this sequence was the 5th shot, in which he shot a long quick 3. But at that point, we were already down 10 and it was 50 seconds on the clock.  Overall in Game 2, I say he showed flashes of what he could be doing, but the 10 turnovers killed anything positive coming from this game.

Game 3:

image.png.9239d36bde2dcbe7e0dda9323f2dec7c.png

image.png.f4ef305d4f1021d201111b343cfaa980.png

What I saw last night was Trae not trying to force the issue at all.  His 3 turnovers last night were all trying to get the big man involved.  2 were weak entry passes that shouldn't have even been tried.  The other one was a careless between the legs pass.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=TOV&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0042100103&PlayerID=1629027&RangeType=0&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Playoffs&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612737&flag=1&sct=plot&section=game

But for the most part, Trae's floor game was right where it should've been. Even when he goes 2 - 7 FG in the 1st half, he supplemented that by going 5 - 6 FT.  He used his effort and smarts to get to the line and score his points, when his shot wasn't falling early.  10 pts - 5 asst - 4 rebs in a half is not horrible. Especially when we're up by 7.

In the 3rd quarter, he should've been a little more assertive to see if he could slow down the run the Heat were going on. Blame him in the 3rd for not looking for his shot enough.  And of course, he was brilliant in the 4th, despite only having 1 assist to couple with his 10 points.

He absolutely played the right way last night.

Here's my thing with all the criticism that Trae receives.  On one hand, you guys want him to play like a true PG that gets others involved ( like he doesn't do that already ).  On the other hand, you guys want him to live up to his All-NBA status that he's established for himself.  Too often than not, people find anything possible to criticize the kid for, even when he's balling offensively.

The long 3s are a necessary part of his game, due to his size, the way he shoots the basketball mechanically, and because he's proven that he can actually make that shot at an almost average NBA 3 point clip.  People want more and more out of Trae, even when he's shown you that he can play at a Hall of Fame level.  And to play at that level, you're going to take bad shots and take chances on passes every once in a while.  There is much more good about Trae's game than there is bad.  He's not going to play perfect basketball all the time.  This is when we need his teammates to pick up the slack.  They did a great job of doing that last night.

Trae doesn't have his 1st and 2nd leading lob threat in the middle, who are also guys that protect the rim and grab 70% of the rebounds. Capela is out. Collins looks to be less than 50%, but at least he's out there doing what he can.  And Okongwu, until last night, looked lost.  This team is trying to figure it all out offensively AND defensively.  I appreciate the journey that they're going on, despite being short handed.

I'm never going to be a fan of the really long 3 because the facts are that Trae is not likely to ever be as effecient as Curry.

People say that Trae needs to take these shots all the time because of his size as if there hadn't been small players that have been great without it.

It's a shot he just likes to take... Sometimes at really random times, but it isn't going to change.

It is what it is.

The Heat are not a new opponent, but trying to adjust with these kind of injuries is. No doubt about that.

But, when you're a showboat player you also help bring some of the heat to yourself.

I tend to be critical of players with questionable shot selection. AI was another that played in a way that I wasn't fond of. But this is what it is going to be for now.

Overall, Schlenk is the biggest problem. I complain about him more than any single player. Miami is better built for the playoffs.

This team isn't built for the playoffs, but they overachieved last year.

Delon is all that Schlenk added that helps the team in the playoffs.

I believe Trae deserves some of the criticism I give him, but no doubt that things would be easier for him and the team if the team was built better.

5 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm never going to be a fan of the really long 3 because the facts are that Trae is not likely to ever be as effecient as Curry.

People say that Trae needs to take these shots all the time because of his size as if there hadn't been small players that have been great without it.

It's a shot he just likes to take... Sometimes at really random times, but it isn't going to change.

It is what it is.

I like the shot.  He hits it enough to justify the space it gives him.  It forces the defender further away from the basket and therefore gives him space to drive and kick.  

Plus it’s fun.  I watch to be entertained.  But I do think it benefits his floor game.  Remember how far out the Knicks covered him on his game winner in the playoffs last year?  He gets to the rim because he forces people to guard him closer to the logo.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

It is what it is.

The Heat are not a new opponent, but trying to adjust with these kind of injuries is. No doubt about that.

But, when you're a showboat player you also help bring some of the heat to yourself.

I tend to be critical of players with questionable shot selection. AI was another that played in a way that I wasn't fond of. But this is what it is going to be for now.

Overall, Schlenk is the biggest problem. I complain about him more than any single player. Miami is better built for the playoffs.

I believe Trae deserves some of the criticism I give him, but no doubt that things would be easier for him and the team if the team was built better.

He hits long 3s at a rate above the league average 3pt%. I hate that he does it so early in the clock sometimes but the distance isn't really the problem for him. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

It is what it is.

Good news for you.  AI was something like a career .520% ts%.  Ie pretty garbage for efficiency and driven almost purely by shot volume.

Trae is over .600% ts% this year and about the same for his career.  That is elite for a scoring guard.  

Very different quality and efficiency in shots even if Trae takes a bad one from time to time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, benhillboy said:

Welp Delon +7.  Heat gonna sign him in the off-season.

22 months late but I knew it was gonna happen.  Hopefully this is the end of Rozier he’s so f&@kin awful.

So ecstatic Point Diff D finally got with the team who will gladly retire him.  He’s gonna be so awesome alongside Jimmy, Bam, and Jaime.  Don’t be surprised at all if they run through the East playoffs again.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

22 months late but I knew it was gonna happen.  Hopefully this is the end of Rozier he’s so f&@kin awful.

So ecstatic Point Diff D finally got with the team who will gladly retire him.  He’s gonna be so awesome alongside Jimmy, Bam, and Jaime.  Don’t be surprised at all if they run through the East playoffs again.

I think you are overselling this move (Rozier will still get minutes and Delon isn't going to be a huge difference maker) but this is a great fit for the Heat.  He brings more of what they already do very well and is a smart defender.  

I'm just not celebrating any windfalls that drop in the Heat's lap because I don't like them.

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think you are overselling this move (Rozier will still get minutes and Delon isn't going to be a huge difference maker) but this is a great fit for the Heat.  He brings more of what they already do very well and is a smart defender.  

I'm just not celebrating any windfalls that drop in the Heat's lap because I don't like them.

A player like Delon cannot be oversold.  He’s played over 10,000 minutes on mostly crap teams with a 118 to 110 career rating in the regular season.  +17.8 on/off net in 37 playoff games.  He’s gonna be a force multiplier for the heat.

It’s a shame so many Hawks fans hate the heat.  You won’t truly know how unsophisticated Hawks ball is until you watch teams like them, the Cavs, and Thunder regularly.  The moment I became a Don Mitchell fan he started eating the league alive.  I’m pretty perceptive on these things.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
On 2/16/2024 at 6:04 PM, benhillboy said:

A player like Delon cannot be oversold.  He’s played over 10,000 minutes on mostly crap teams with a 118 to 110 career rating in the regular season.  +17.8 on/off net in 37 playoff games.  He’s gonna be a force multiplier for the heat.

It’s a shame so many Hawks fans hate the heat.  You won’t truly know how unsophisticated Hawks ball is until you watch teams like them, the Cavs, and Thunder regularly.  The moment I became a Don Mitchell fan he started eating the league alive.  I’m pretty perceptive on these things.

I'm not against watching them but hating your rivals is part and parcel of sports.  I highly respect a lot of that team especially with the UK President, former Hawk, and UK stars.  There isn't a player I individually hate on the roster.

But I hate the Heat, the Celtics, and a number of other teams as a matter of fan preference, and it isn't in a gray area.  

Delon is an excellent addition to the team but he isn't going to mean that Rozier goes unplayed and he is more of a glue guy type of impact where he makes everyone a bit better on the floor.  This probably adds a handful of wins to their team at the end of the season.  We'll see if he brings a bigger impact.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, benhillboy said:

Elite half-court Basketball. Miami works for a reason. They have been drafting from this style since the 90s.