• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Id be lying if I said I know what Ayton wants but this was from an earlier article about finding ways to get him more touches:

One could say that Monty Williams should give more touches to Ayton, but those touches will just be post-ups and will muck up the Suns’ free-flowing offense. The best way to increase his touches is if he plays hard, runs the floor in transition, and gives second and third efforts on the offensive glass. It’s not pretty, but the team’s identity can’t be compromised for one player. There should be a balance.

I understand your point but we do not play this free lance offense in Atlanta. I love the more ball and player movement lately and we need to keep doing it but our identity will always be a 1/5 pick or 2/5 pick as a go to.

It would be very different here for Ayton as he’d be involved in every play literally and once he’s use to Trae/Murray (Trae especially) it would feel automatic that he touches the ball non stop.

Trae has never had a problem feeding centers since he got here no matter who it is. I believe Ayton would love that…just a personal belief.

Trae spamming the center so much automatically involves him in our offense. I also don’t think Trae or Murray would mind giving the ball to Ayton on post ups. They are starting to go to JC a lot more lately on goof post ups when he holds his position so Ayton who’s better at posting up should receive the same plays.

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Where's the evidence of how Ayton thinks, pro or con? I dunno. What's he said that is so persuasive that he's really going to be a positive for a team as long as he's treated like he wants to be treated? Not challenging so much as curious.

I been watching this dude since College very closely so I may be very bias that I can admit. But I know he’s an all star level talent that’s waiting to be unleashed. I feel his attitude gets a bad rep in the media much like Trae but Luka is everyone’s golden boy and he likely acts the same way behind close doors.

Heres a recent article below that’s shows a lot of growth and maturity from Ayton speaking about the offense. The guy just wants to win and he believes his offensive game can impact winning.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2023/01/07/wanting-the-ball-deandre-ayton-addresses-role-in-phoenix-suns-offense/69786775007/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

The current projected LT threshold for next season is $171,600,000.

Where we stand against that:

2023-01-21_16-05-56.png

Where are you seeing  $171?

NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA told its teams on Friday that it still expects to see a significant jump in the salary cap and tax level in the 2023-24 season.

Based on current projections, the cap will rise 8.4%, and the tax level will rise 7.8% over this season.

Both figures — $134 million for the salary cap in 2023-24, $162 million as the tax level — would set records, and both are $1 million higher than the league’s most recent projections made in June. The looming 2022-23 season has a cap of $123.655 million, a tax level of $150.267 million.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-salary-cap-and-tax-level-expected-to-rise-in-2023-24

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good quotes, there, @JTB. I can see he's cerebral, and that's certainly a good thing. He seems self-aware, and that's a good thing.

The question would be how well can he manage his emotions/frustrations. Clearly, Monty has felt he had to take time to justify his decisions to Ayton (see tweet).

It's been said that a head coach on a contending team can afford to have one high maintenance player, as long as the alpha dog(s) on the team have established a team culture.

Are we there?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Where

spotrac

But. I've had to correct myself... sorry... I mistook the 2024-25 season's LT line for 2023-24. The correct projection is $162,000,000 instead.

2023-01-21_16-33-54.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, sturt said:

spotrac

But. I've had to correct myself... sorry... I mistook the 2024-25 season's LT line for 2023-24. The correct projection is $162,000,000 instead.

2023-01-21_16-33-54.png

Until Vit and Martin are released they are factored in or you'll need to include empty roster charges.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Until Vit and Martin are released they are factored in or you'll need to include empty roster charges.

I hear that, and of course, you have that for all of the empty roster slots... and you'd like to think we'll have a 1st rounder that will cost something.

Though of course, none of it is actually meaningful until the end of next season.

Though, of course, clearly we have an owner who seemingly won't tolerate any ambiguity.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I want to hear from the insiders regarding what happened with the players behind the scenes and why they've suddenly put it together. Team meeting? A come to Jesus moment? A talk with Nate and or management to clear the air? @Sothron @NBASupes @thecampster

Sothron is your guy here. He has the direct Hawks info 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People are going to start game planning to stop Murray's FT line jumper. Once they do, watch and see how Murray gets the ball to the open man so they have great looks. Trae can find the open man around the hoop, or swing it to the open guy in the corner.  His issue is just getting the ball out of his hands faster.  But even in his case, we DO need his ISO offense for him to set up the floater or to draw fouls on the other team.

This is the most important part about everything you've said...it doesn't work without that.

There are two different crowds when it comes to isolation criticism: one that simply doesn't like an ISO-heavy offense and the other group that doesn't want to see an almost exclusively ISO offense with little ball movement.  I'm in the latter group.  There has to be some kind of balance or the defense WILL adjust.  They did early in the season and we struggled.

I have noticed since the Nate criticism heated up that we've put MUCH more effort into ball movement.  I love ISO/PNR and we were effective with it in 2021 - it was timely 3 point shooting by Kev, Bogi, and Gallo that kept it us alive though.  If you're going to play through the paint, either iso or low post, you have to have shooters to keep the defense honest.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Wretch said:

This is the most important part about everything you've said...it doesn't work without that.

There are two different crowds when it comes to isolation criticism: one that simply doesn't like an ISO-heavy offense and the other group that doesn't want to see an almost exclusively ISO offense with little ball movement.  I'm in the latter group.  There has to be some kind of balance or the defense WILL adjust.  They did early in the season and we struggled.

I have noticed since the Nate criticism heated up that we've put MUCH more effort into ball movement.  I love ISO/PNR and we were effective with it in 2021 - it was timely 3 point shooting by Kev, Bogi, and Gallo that kept it us alive though.  If you're going to play through the paint, either iso or low post, you have to have shooters to keep the defense honest.

Remember . . . this is the same fan base that dubbed Joe Johnson "ISO JOE" as a NEGATIVE aspect to his game, instead of a term of endearment like Brooklyn did.  But even with JJ's ISOs, he was also a willing passer when doubled, and found open shooters.

I'm all for any offense that works and is efficient.  People blame our offense sometimes, even when we score 120 points.  If you score 120 points in a game, you shouldn't lose.  No complaints with multiple finally being contributors to the offense lately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Good quotes, there, @JTB. I can see he's cerebral, and that's certainly a good thing. He seems self-aware, and that's a good thing.

The question would be how well can he manage his emotions/frustrations. Clearly, Monty has felt he had to take time to justify his decisions to Ayton (see tweet).

It's been said that a head coach on a contending team can afford to have one high maintenance player, as long as the alpha dog(s) on the team have established a team culture.

Are we there?

Good question not sure if we are there in terms of championship team (I would say no)…but we do have two alpha personalities in Trae and Murray.

Does that count ? Lol

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Remember . . . this is the same fan base that dubbed Joe Johnson "ISO JOE" as a NEGATIVE aspect to his game, instead of a term of endearment like Brooklyn did.  But even with JJ's ISOs, he was also a willing passer when doubled, and found open shooters.

I'm all for any offense that works and is efficient.  People blame our offense sometimes, even when we score 120 points.  If you score 120 points in a game, you shouldn't lose.  No complaints with multiple finally being contributors to the offense lately.

And even that wasn't ISO-Joe.  It was ISO-Woodson who said, "Play defense and the offense would take care of itself."  Same problem then of ISO and into a trap/zone.  The big difference is we tried to swing the ball and Josh would shoot it.  There's nothing negative at all about ISO...but there has to be a plan B.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Capela vs Ayton...just saying.

Screenshot_20230123_200137_Samsung Internet.jpg

No doubt Capela has Ayton beat in every defensive category anyone can think of. 

on this chart I’m more so shocked to see Jarrett Allen NOT in the top tier.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

No doubt Capela has Ayton beat in every defensive category anyone can think of. 

on this chart I’m more so shocked to see Jarrett Allen NOT in the top tier.

Allen has not been as effective this year.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:37 PM, Sothron said:

The biggest change I've heard is that JC has went from "definitely gone by deadline" to "unless we get a great deal wait to offseason and reassess if we keep or trade".  Korver has been with the team a lot and is going to bat for JC. He wants to keep him long term.

The big issue with JC is not his fit or his touches or some other actual basketball issue. It is his contract and Ressler refusing to pay the LT not just this season but next season as well. What people don't understand is we are up against the LT next season with only like 8 or 9 players under contract. Just filling out the rest of the roster with veteran minimum guys would put us over the LT. 

That is the reason there's been talk of moving JC. If Nick Ressler can convince his dad to pay the LT then JC is not going anywhere. The big trade that @thecampstersource told him that my own sources later confirmed that we are talking about is still on the table. There's a reason Capela is not starting games and playing more limited minutes. They want to show he's healthy but not play him too many minutes because they want that trade with PHX to go down.

If we make that trade and we keep JC then we are definitely paying the LT next season. Frankly? A starting five of Trae, DJM, Hunter, JC, Ayton is pretty damn good. Even if we let Crowder walk as a FA we still have Jalen as a backup PF next season on a rookie contract. The biggest loss would be losing Bogi but frankly AJ is ready for major minutes as the sixth man off the bench. Just find another wing to back up Hunter and we're good to go. We still have our first round pick this year as well.

As for the team play the biggest difference is DJM has been working on Trae to trust his team and to give more effort on defense. DJM is worth every penny and asset we traded for him. My sources speak very glowingly of his attitude and how he's getting guys to buy in for more ball movement and effort on defense. I was directly told that it is no longer just JC and Capela asking guys to give more but now DJM is doing it as well. And it is working.

What are the chances of the Ayton deal going down?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, GameTime said:

What are the chances of the Ayton deal going down?

I haven't heard chances in terms of percentages. @thecampster source told him about the larger trade. My sources had indicated about mid Dec that Bogi for Crowder was being discussed and then the talks grew. 

My guess is both sides have agreed to the deal in spirit but are waiting to see if other offers come in that top those deals. That is a guess on my part to be fair. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I haven't heard chances in terms of percentages. @thecampster source told him about the larger trade. My sources had indicated about mid Dec that Bogi for Crowder was being discussed and then the talks grew. 

My guess is both sides have agreed to the deal in spirit but are waiting to see if other offers come in that top those deals. That is a guess on my part to be fair. 

Bogi for Crowder would be good for us i think if Crowder can get in shape.   But they have to send out another player to make it work.   Who would it be?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Bogi for Crowder would be good for us i think if Crowder can get in shape.   But they have to send out another player to make it work.   Who would it be?

Ya, the crowder thing. My sauces told me that ish in October or possibly sooner. If we get Crowder, i get the star and the credit.

Thats what I’m ultimately about. Being right! Being right is everything. I was right about Okongwu, I was right about AJ and I’m gonna be right on this one.

-Insider Spud #eadhaters

• Haha 3