• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

https://theathletic.com/4120972/2023/01/24/hawks-trade-deadline-john-collins/

Just posting it in here since it seems relevant. Hawks have given JC "clarity" he said. Fields said you can't be .500 and not be open to trading people. 

They want high basketball IQ and hard workers. 

I'm doing the cliff notes version since it is a pay wall.

From the article:

“At this point, there are many moving parts that makes it a challenge to say what we will do,” general manager Landry Fields said in a text message. “I’m not sure what traditional bucket — buyer, seller, etc. — we will fall into. We are open. Something we are definitely looking at is bringing in more defined characteristics that we want to build with into the future: basketball IQ, workers, to name only a couple. Don’t read that like we don’t have it, because we do. But we want certain attributes to start defining our players a bit more.”

Asked if any of Atlanta’s players should be considered off-limits, Fields responded: “We can’t be a .500 ball club and not be open to change. Obviously, some guys are less moveable for a variety of reasons, but we will be all ears.”

Fields’ comments about the need for more high-IQ guys, even relative role players, are interesting. But those are big-picture roster changes that often are easier to make in the summer. Similarly, it’s easier to trade players with big contracts in the offseason when other teams are reshaping their rosters.

Collins has said repeatedly that he wants to stay in Atlanta. He said he has been given “clarity” from the organization.

What does that mean?

“I feel like a lot of stuff going on right now is rumors. The organization has been great. Many times they’ve told me they want me to be here and be a cornerstone of the franchise. So again, what I’m handling and doing here is different from what you guys know because of what I’m being told and the experiences I’m having.”

Have they actually said they’re not trading you?

“I don’t know if that’s been said specifically, but it’s been conveyed that they want me here. It’s just a messy situation at this point, and the less they can speak about it the better. If I’m here, I’m here. If I’m gone, and I have to start somewhere else … but the feeling in the conversations I’ve had with them, I’m a Hawk and they want me to be here.”

“It’s been an ongoing issue for three years,” Collins said. “So I have to deal with it. Like my momma told me when I was growing up: ‘Suck it up.’”

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

So… all I have to say like I’ve mentioned many times before.. If we could package JC and Dre to upgrade the 3 plus a standard bench/rotation 4 that would be ideal.  

I’m so tired of Dre being Marvin 2.0 and Collins disappearing due to his frame in the post.

Think about this.. we have what we need at Center, PG, and SG. It seems our forwards are the most inconsistent.

Edited by theheroatl

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Probably Shamet since he has multiple years left on his deal (ideally Saric since he's expiring) - Shamet has 3 years left after this season at $10.2, $11.0 and $11.75 respectively, but only the 2023-24 season is guaranteed.

Yikes.. He sucks...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From the article:

“At this point, there are many moving parts that makes it a challenge to say what we will do,” general manager Landry Fields said in a text message. “I’m not sure what traditional bucket — buyer, seller, etc. — we will fall into. We are open. Something we are definitely looking at is bringing in more defined characteristics that we want to build with into the future: basketball IQ, workers, to name only a couple. Don’t read that like we don’t have it, because we do. But we want certain attributes to start defining our players a bit more.”

Asked if any of Atlanta’s players should be considered off-limits, Fields responded: “We can’t be a .500 ball club and not be open to change. Obviously, some guys are less moveable for a variety of reasons, but we will be all ears.”

Fields’ comments about the need for more high-IQ guys, even relative role players, are interesting. But those are big-picture roster changes that often are easier to make in the summer. Similarly, it’s easier to trade players with big contracts in the offseason when other teams are reshaping their rosters.

Collins has said repeatedly that he wants to stay in Atlanta. He said he has been given “clarity” from the organization.

What does that mean?

“I feel like a lot of stuff going on right now is rumors. The organization has been great. Many times they’ve told me they want me to be here and be a cornerstone of the franchise. So again, what I’m handling and doing here is different from what you guys know because of what I’m being told and the experiences I’m having.”

Have they actually said they’re not trading you?

“I don’t know if that’s been said specifically, but it’s been conveyed that they want me here. It’s just a messy situation at this point, and the less they can speak about it the better. If I’m here, I’m here. If I’m gone, and I have to start somewhere else … but the feeling in the conversations I’ve had with them, I’m a Hawk and they want me to be here.”

“It’s been an ongoing issue for three years,” Collins said. “So I have to deal with it. Like my momma told me when I was growing up: ‘Suck it up.’”

5-2 since CC's return, but of course that Charlotte loss really stings. Really. Stings.

Still holding out hope that no moves get made until after the DEN game on Sat 2/4, ahead of the NOP game on that Tue 2/7... I mean, that's not to say I expect another 5 game streak in the meantime at all, but I also don't totally rule out a 4-1 tally... and I'd said previously that if this roster can get to 9 wins in 13 games (and that would be 9 in 12 games, of course, regardless of what happens in Big EZ), I'd start to feel some confidence that the chemistry most of us anticipated would eventually build is, indeed, proving to develop after all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I hate to say this but I realized this about Hunter last month. He's indispensable to us because we simply cannot find his skill set anywhere on the trade market or the open market. For better or worse we are locked into that guy.

I'm in the minority on Hunter.  Gotta know when to say when.  I have no idea what a package around him looks like, but if we can keep JC, deal Hunter and  Bogi..I'm in.  I just don't think the defense would collapse and what he brings offensively is inconsistent.  There after times, I fall for him.  Other times, I want Taurean Prince back for less cost.  Flame away.  I'm good.

Edited by deester11
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, deester11 said:

I'm in the minority on Hunter.  Gotta know when to say when.  I have no idea what a package around him looks like, but if we can keep JC, deal Hunter and  Bogi..I'm in.  I just don't think the defense would collapse and what he brings offensively is inconsistent.  There after times, I fall for him.  Other times, I want Taurean Prince back for less cost.  Flame away.  I'm good.

Nah you're spot on. Hunter and JC are too inconsistent for us to be winners. 

If anything I think Trae, DJ, and Capela try and play with the same energy every night. I think JC and Dre have periods where they aren't really contributing to the game that much.

• Sad 1