• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Wizards at Hawks

lethalweapon3

4 hours ago, Wretch said:

This is something that I have been paying attention to for going on 30 years now.  There's a flow to how they do this...and before I even get into this discussion:

...and you have the whole Tim Donaghy scandal.  The idea of the NBA/refs artificially influencing games is a very distasteful one, but not something that I will outright dismiss.  That said, I noticed the same "pattern" of calls over the last 3 decades.  There are bad calls/no-calls and "make up" calls/no-calls...and RARELY will you see it during crunch time. 

Usually I start seeing things happen just before a team goes on a run.  I've noticed it in every game that I've watched, regardless of the teams.

And the make-up calls are blatantly obvious.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

RUMORS!  Talking heads love rumors of all kind.  They become really juicy when they are about a team that you really don't like.  Maybe that team beat your favorite team and this your opportunity to get back at them.

At the press conference both men said that they didn't really know each other that well.  This was enough.  Just take that and run with it!  

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

The press conference was a little bit awkward in that regard -- it was clear to me that they were forcing a united front.

:er:...did you voice this opinion immediately after the presser?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Turns out Snyder isn't Fields guy. This is going to be interesting. 

lol no

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Maybe Landry wanted D'Antoni and Korver proposed Snyder under his nose. 

And the Ressler's went with Snyder. 

That would be some cold stuff.... especially since Landry brought Korver in.

However, I don't believe it.   I think it's just clickbait.

Fan fiction

• Premium Member

First it was Hawks are a bad coaching job, nobody is gonna want to coach Trae, he got Nate fired and will hire the next Coach.

Seems like folks are just mad the Hawks got THE guy and shocked everyone with a BOLD inseason move that nobody saw coming....so now it's the GM didn't really want him...you're hearing why did Quin want this job...so many other better teams. They just MAD. They can all

Screenshot_20230301_200512_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

The press conference was a little bit awkward in that regard -- it was clear to me that they were forcing a united front.  I know they don't know each other well but there was some mild tension there, and I'm guessing it's related to Snyder coming in to have a final say in personnel, whether or not that's inked into his title.  Snyder is a Ressler and Korver hire. 

Sounds like Ressler wanted a real basketball mind in here to tell him the truth about some of his players.........

Quin isnt attached to any of these guys.....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:...did you voice this opinion immediately after the presser?

On here? No.  I don't really share every small thought I have nor am I looking for credit for any kind of predictions -- just noting an observation for discussion.

I feel like this board has become a mix of two things: people trying to prove they were right about stuff and people vehemently defending everything Hawks-related, or more recently, Trae-related.  Most discussion is polarized and anything with nuance or without "proof" is dismissed with comments like this one, instead of participating or furthering discussion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

instead of participating or furthering discussion.

I’m sorry I don’t get it though, why do you want to discuss some nitwit saying that Landry didn’t want Quin and Korver did or whatever. I mean, who the hell gives a crap? Like I said before haters will hate.

Jeff, you’ve also mentioned that we don’t like to talk about the Hawks faults and that’s not true. I’m a huge optimist and think we’ve underachieved and played kinda half hearted this season. If you want me to bag on Trae though I’m not gonna bite, every player has ups and downs and for some reason or another, with Trae it’s being magnified. I guarantee it’s the media from NY trying to destroy him because he destroyed them.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m sorry I don’t get it though, why do you want to discuss some nitwit saying that Landry didn’t want Quin and Korver did or whatever.

It's interesting and related to the team?  And it's a fairly intuitive dynamic so I don't just dismiss it entirely because I don't want to believe it.  We don't have a seamless well-functioning front office -- it's been quite the opposite lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Not who you're responding to, but I notice this all the time when we're down and Trae gets soft calls.  Also notice it when watching games as a neutral fan.  It's part of how there are so many 20+ point comebacks these days.  People attribute it to 3P variance, but it's usually free throws and soft calls opening up the defense that leads those massive charges.  Just watch that Lakers Mavs game from the other night as an example.

With that said, it's extremely counterproductive to focus on, which is why I hate it when players start whining about refs -- last thing you want is a team full of guys with an external locus of control. 

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/id/35746914/country/us/redirected/true

What we were talking about earlier is exactly what happened in that Lakers comeback game (soft calls for Lakers when they were down big and no calls for Mavs).  Players have to learn to ignore that though which is what the link above is referring to -- I do feel like Trae has gotten better over the course of the past two years about complaining to officials but Luka is still incredulous after every call or noncall lol

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I do feel like Trae has gotten better over the course of the past two years about complaining to officials but Luka is still incredulous after every call or noncall lol

That might be true but they're hand in hand in the most techs ranking.

image.png

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Hmm...  Nate was cursed for not using a 10 man rotation....

It's always bothered me that people have been equating an expanded rotation with good coaching.  The Chauncey Billups Pistons would rotate 7.  Only McDyess and Lyndsey Hunter would come off the bench.  

I think what people are actually saying when they want a bigger rotation is their favorite pet project isn't getting PT.  Since they fantasize about them becoming a key player, it's the coach's fault that it isn't happening.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

On here? No.  I don't really share every small thought I have nor am I looking for credit for any kind of predictions -- just noting an observation for discussion.

I feel like this board has become a mix of two things: people trying to prove they were right about stuff and people vehemently defending everything Hawks-related, or more recently, Trae-related.  Most discussion is polarized and anything with nuance or without "proof" is dismissed with comments like this one, instead of participating or furthering discussion.

I predicted you were going to say this at the beginning of the season.   😅

• Haha 3