• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I agree with everything except the roster construction being a failure (just my opinion).  There is no right roster construction around Trae with the way he plays ball.  The second problem I have as far as roster construction is the Hawks not going into the luxury tax to keep Gallinari and Huerter.  They were the better shooters that have to be around Trae than what the Hawks currently have.  Hunter and Collins are best suited for mid range to post up game.  Everything else you said I agree with, especially the highlighted part.

Some of our problems are fixable imo

As long as they get rid of 2 of the 3 starters: Collins,Capela,Hunter

In that order of getting rid of. 

You simply compound any problem you have, by starting 2 players who can't dribble, pass, or create their own shot, even a layup......

and the third guy has the motor of a 1980 Pinto on its last legs.... smh

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Atlanta gotta choose between DJ or Trae. This pairing ain't gonna work. Too small, while Murray is capable of playing off the ball on offense, he's struggles at defending 2s full time. Not athletic enough or big enough. 

I know Hunter haters think I am a Hunter lover but I just understand the game a lot more than you do. If you can give me a realistic upgrade where the cost isn't insane, I would move him asap but he's a lot less replaceable and his position just lacks extreme depth and it's critical in the modern NBA. Unless you can find his replacement, stfu. Idiots like some on here suggesting Bey as a starting 3 over Dre needs to get slapped asap and banned from all logical conversations. Low BBIQ idiots with horrendous opinions. 

JC gotta go but everyone knows that already. The question is, who wants him. It's clear he's the odd man out and he been worse under Quin than he was under Nate. 

Clint plays a key role. He's kind of hard to replace but we must upgrade his position but that's looking hard to do as well as it is for Dre. We gotta be extremely aggressive. We need an offensive stud who can play the 5. We don't spam as much as we used to but we still need to have a nice 1/5 option especially if we keep Trae. 

I don't really have no issues with the bench. All of them are fine with me. Just don't see anyone that can be pushed to the starting 5 and not create new problems. That's the case for ALL of them. OO included who's the best of the bunch. 

It was Bey over JC not Dre.. For me anyhow..

Edited by terrell

7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok. I just remember everyone being on board for the most part. I do recall some wanting Don Mitch more and others saying Don Mitch was too small? :er: Sure he’s smaller in heigh but he’s a lil tank. Dude has a better than Dwade type build to his body. 

I was on board with Murray and still am. I think the postseason being a new Murray. At this point we gotta get there first though.

That was ME and a few others wanting Mitchell but we were told Murray was the better fit because he was taller I guess.. lol

Mitchell plays way bigger than his height..

Murray could still work out for us. If they decide to move on from Trae, we're good.. lol

But those 2 together? I agree with Supes on that.. It aint gonna work..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, terrell said:

Some of our problems are fixable imo

As long as they get rid of 2 of the 3 starters: Collins,Capela,Hunter

In that order of getting rid of. 

You simply compound any problem you have, by starting 2 players who can't dribble, pass, or create their own shot, even a layup......

and the third guy has the motor of a 1980 Pinto on its last legs.... smh

Go back to the playoff series vs the Heat wherein Hunter was the best player on the Hawks.  I'm ignoring the 3 point shots he made (which he made a lot).  The key in that series is Trae was forced to give the ball up and make Hunter the de jure number 1 option.  Hunter was able to get into a rhythm where he didn't have to wonder if he was gonna receive the ball when he made his cuts.  Is Hunter gonna go Kawhi Leonard or DeMar DeRozan in the mid range and get to the rim?  No, but he has the ability and height to make one or two quick moves and get a solid shot from mid range.  He can be a height mismatch in a lot of games.

Collins has a similar game on offense. You CAN post Collins.  I prefer Hunter though because of his  man up defense and ability to play the passing lanes on defense.  Capela can go.  What he brings I feel the Hawks can replace.  I would keep Hunter and shop Capela and Collins for a scoring center or scoring forward who can hit consistent 3 point shots.  Wait, Gallineri is with the Celtics now, lmao.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, terrell said:

That was ME and a few others wanting Mitchell but we were told Murray was the better fit because he was taller I guess.. lol

Mitchell plays way bigger than his height..

Murray could still work out for us. If they decide to move on from Trae, we're good.. lol

But those 2 together? I agree with Supes on that.. It aint gonna work..

I hate to keep kicking the same tires, but WHO in the entire NBA would work next to Trae?  If Trae moved while off the ball, this is a different conversation.  The problem is if he isn't the one bringing it up or running the "play",  he doesn't move. If he is running the show, the shooting guard isn't gonna find a consistent rhythm which is probably one of the reasons you see the Hawks take Trae out of the game and transfer the point guard duties over to Murray before benching him.  Its a weird rotation, lmao

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I hate to keep kicking the same tires, but WHO in the entire NBA would work next to Trae?  If Trae moved while off the ball, this is a different conversation.  The problem is if he isn't the one bringing it up or running the "play",  he doesn't move. If he is running the show, the shooting guard isn't gonna find a consistent rhythm which is probably one of the reasons you see the Hawks take Trae out of the game and transfer the point guard duties over to Murray before benching him.  Its a weird rotation, lmao

No wing or perimeter player. I've been saying this for years. Trae is extremely big man reliant. That's why I don't mind Hunter, he's not that important offensively. Defense is what matters. We need our best offensive players to be 4 and 5. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Go back to the playoff series vs the Heat wherein Hunter was the best player on the Hawks.  I'm ignoring the 3 point shots he made (which he made a lot).  The key in that series is Trae was forced to give the ball up and make Hunter the de jure number 1 option.  Hunter was able to get into a rhythm where he didn't have to wonder if he was gonna receive the ball when he made his cuts.  Is Hunter gonna go Kawhi Leonard or DeMar DeRozan in the mid range and get to the rim?  No, but he has the ability and height to make one or two quick moves and get a solid shot from mid range.  He can be a height mismatch in a lot of games.

Collins has a similar game on offense.  I prefer Hunter though because of his  man up defense and ability to play the passing lanes on defense.  Capela can go.  What he brings I feel the Hawks can replace.  I would keep Hunter and shop Capela and Collins for a scoring center or scoring forward who can hit consistent 3 point shots.  Wait, Gallineri is with the Celtics now, lmao.

That's why I had Dre 3rd on the list.. lol

I've always said the frontcourt is our biggest problem..

But not our ONLY problem..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No wing or perimeter player. I've been saying this for years. Trae is extremely big man reliant. That's why I don't mind Hunter, he's not that important offensively. Defense is what matters. We need our best offensive players to be 4 and 5. 

Tony Snell like player would work..

Any come to mind? lol

34 minutes ago, terrell said:

Any come to mind? lol

Prime Snell would have been perfect in the RS. The issue is you have to have some self creation in the playoffs no matter who you are. So he would be a liability then

Prime Danny Green would be the perfect 2 next to Trae 

Edited by NBASupes

28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Prime Snell would have been perfect in the RS. The issue is you have to have some self creation in the playoffs no matter who you are. So he would be a liability then

Prime Danny Green would be the perfect 2 next to Trae 

Could Dre play the 2? lol

Trade CC and a young player or pick for OG

JC/Murray for KAT

Trae/Dre/OG/OO/KAT

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Any come to mind? lol

It would never happen, but the only big guy in the NBA that could possibly win a title playing the two man game with Trae is Joel Embiid because of Embiid's outside scoring ability.  You can pick and pop with Embiid instead of picking and rolling and keep the entire offense alive.  Embiid can either score directly after popping out OR kick back over to Trae or find a cutting man in the paint. You are essentially running your offense through Embiid and forcing Trae out to the wings as a secondary scorer.  

In the clip below,  the first half shows how the pick and pop is a option with Embiid instead of rolling to the rim after every pick:

Edited by Hawkmoor

On 4/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, Hawkmoor said:

Collins has a similar game on offense. You CAN post Collins.  I prefer Hunter though because of his  man up defense and ability to play the passing lanes on defense.  Capela can go.  What he brings I feel the Hawks can replace.  I would keep Hunter and shop Capela and Collins for a scoring center or scoring forward who can hit consistent 3 point shots.  Wait, Gallineri is with the Celtics now, lmao.

Yup!….Folks mind as well get over it. Trae is not going anywhere. We are going to have to have to get a scoring big next to Trae to take a step forward and that’s going to be Ayton for us.

Hunter + Okungwu + Ayton front court will be good for us. Snyder will then have to play with the minutes and pull either Trae or Murray out early to put in AJ or Bogi. At this point Synder has to really grind down on his best lineups! 

There’s ways to get better fit on the court with a capela for Ayton trade. It will open everything up for us and keep roster depth for next season. Synder has the ability and creativity to play the best guys together but he need his staff in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JTB said:

Yup!….Folks mind as well get over it. Trae is not going anywhere. We are going to have to have to get a scoring big next to Trae to take a step forward and that’s going to be Ayton for us.

Hunter + Okungwu + Ayton front court will be good for us. Snyder will then have to play with the minutes and pull either Trae or Murray out early to put in AJ or Bogi. At this point Synder has to really grind down on his best lineups! 

There’s ways to get better fit on the court with a capela for Ayton trade. It will open everything up for us and keep roster depth for next season. Synder has the ability and creativity to play the best guys together but he need his staff in place.

You are correct.  Keeping Capela forces the Hawks into trying to decide whether they want to be a pick and roll team or a more wide open spacing offense.   Ayton is a better fit. Its one of the reasons I cited Embiid as the perfect fit for Trae (though it wouldn't happen) because Embiid can pick and pop instead of picking and rolling which keeps the entire offense alive.  The Hawks current offense is either Trae lofting logo 3s,  Trae or Murray going one against the entire defense,  Trae picking and rolling to Capela or Collins; and a mess.  The entire thing is wishy washy and inconsistent. A shooting big keeps the entire offense alive, especially if he has good passing ability.  

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Packfill said:

I am fully on board with trading CC and JC but I think both are substantially devalued as trade assets at this point so I am not sure what meaningful asset they could return in a trade without the Hawks including a sweetener (pick or young prospect). 

I think for capela even though hawk fans may see his defense dropping off…. Capela still has the defensive reputation and it’s a known fact that CP3 loves capela so I see value in phx for capela.

Collins value has dropped and I think the best we can get back is either a draft pick or a high impact role player who fits with Trae.

Personally I think the hawks need to get what they can to improve where they can  because shooting for the stars and ending up with the same is all too often a thing for our Atlanta Hawks.

• Like 2