• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

This was disgusting. 

Disgusting because if Trae ain't scoring, we ain't scoring.

Forget the defense on Bridges.. he was on one.  The problem was that we couldn't score with them... that Third... was that time to put in the third string. 

When everything is all said and done, I hope we bring in a pure scorer.   Somebody who gets buckets. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrell said:

As long as he's making Ressler $ he aint going anywhere.. But yeah.

Bingo and Trae has taken advantage of that.  Its a perfect match for what is happening.  I was aware of it way back when they switched Luka out for Trae.  It was pure marketing.  I'm not saying this because of any Luka agenda, I'm saying this because the switch didn't make sense for a new GM to make at that time (which was later confirmed in the Travis Schlenk demotion fiasco).   This is more than Trae though because the entire roster has some issues, but it will not be resolved with Trae being the focal point. 

His supporters look at the numbers and ignore or aren't aware that stats don't tell the full story.  Its WHEN and HOW you get baskets and assists in basketball.  Larry Bird for instance, would go entire stretches of the game where he was taking mainly two point shots.  He would stop the other team from making runs with 3 point shots that were taken at strategic points to break them.  Jordan did the same.  Jordan got assists out of the triangle offense that made Pippen and the other players around him better.  Trae's assists don't make anybody around him better.  His offense is also streaky, which you pointed out.  Streaky street ball that doesn't make his team mates better.  Russell Westbrook was a walking triple double and made none of his team mates better.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

This was disgusting. 

Disgusting because if Trae ain't scoring, we ain't scoring.

Forget the defense on Bridges.. he was on one.  The problem was that we couldn't score with them... that Third... was that time to put in the third string. 

When everything is all said and done, I hope we bring in a pure scorer.   Somebody who gets buckets. 

Boy, sure look like we missed someone out there that you are always hating on...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Trae is disinterested if he isn't the focal point of the offense which is why I agree he can't be the number 1.  Notice that when he was running the pick and rolls, floaters and logo 3s under Pierce and McMillan last season and the season before, his game was better.  Once he is asked to be a distributing point guard that averages 20 points instead of 27 points, he is disinterested. 

I honestly believe Trae could be the best pure point guard in the league IF HE WANTED TO, but he doesn't wanna play as a pure point guard.  This causes other players to be out of rhythm a lot and not used in spaces that are more attuned to their abilities.  Don't get me started on his shot selection.  It doesn't matter who the head coach is or who you bring in as players, you have to force Trae into being a point guard or move him off the ball and if he doesn't buy in, ship him.  He isn't the only problem with this team, but he is the core piece that has to be changed.

For Trae to be a "pure PG", that means that some other people would have to make a high number of shots.

Who do you suggest that player be?

Who on this team is going to be our 23 - 25 ppg scorer, if Trae is playing a "pure PG" that averages 20 ppg?

If you want him to be Chris Paul, you need to team him up with a high level scorer.

So who is going to take up the scoring slack?  And how many assists is Trae going to average in that role?  He's already dropping 10 dimes a game.  How many can he average with this squad, if he's just playing a "pure PG" role?

Direct and specific answers please.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrell said:

I know youre gonna defend Trae no matter what.. That's cool...

Ill be here to eat crow when we're a real contender every year with him as our #1 guy....

But I just dont see it..

I agreed that he needs a #1 guy beside him.

On this team, if he isn't the #1, we don't have one.

We barely have a #3.

So on this squad, as is . . . Trae has to shoot, and shoot often.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agreed that he needs a #1 guy beside him.

On this team, if he isn't the #1, we don't have one.

We barely have a #3.

So on this squad, as is . . . Trae has to shoot, and shoot often.

That #1 guy can't be a 2 or 3. That's the problem. It has to be a big and one that also excels at the PnR. Those are extremely hard to find

• Moderators

Man, I’m glad I didn’t end up watching this one.  Just reading this thread and perusing the box score was painful enough.  

I wish we could somehow have ended up with Bridges.  He is really good.  Basically what Id like to see Hunter turn into except they are nearly the same age and have never been close in the metrics.  Would love to see them both on the floor together even more.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So if the Hawks go back to the shoot it Trae offense then how does Murray fit with him?

Murray will get his shots with the 2nd unit.  Murray shouldn't be taking over 14 shots a game anyway.  Right now, he's averaging 18 shots and scoring 20.5 points.  Trae's shot attempts are now below 20 ( 19.3 per game ) and he's scoring 26.5 points.

Trae should be getting 5 shots a quarter at minimum. And some of those shots he will draw fouls on, which puts him at the FT line, or gets us closer for us to be in the bonus.

You want this guy scoring AND assisting at a high clip.  Our players haven't proved that they're consistent enough to take on a greater offensive burden.  So they should continue to play off Trae, with Trae being the offensive engine . . no matter how good or bad that engine is.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Man, I’m glad I didn’t end up watching this one.  Just reading this thread and perusing the box score was painful enough.  

I wish we could somehow have ended up with Bridges.  He is really good.  Basically what Id like to see Hunter turn into except they are nearly the same age and have never been close in the metrics.  Would love to see them both on the floor together even more.

Mikal was my main guy in his draft class along with Bagley. Bagley looking like a major miss but Mikal been special.