• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks -- GAME 4

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

You have guys who have fallen in love with perpetual mediocrity and Draft lottery parties talking about trading Trae for Siakim.  Siakim is no Centerpiece.  Ask Toronto. What has he done in Toronto since Kawhi left?  Yet... this is who some want to trade Trae for...   GTFOH.

I call this piece.... "Since you've been gone."..

image.png

You only read what you want to read.   As I said, I am not gung ho on getting Siakam, I was just pointing out it would be nice if we could get someone of value for him.  If Trae shows that he can grow up and make this team a winner, I am happy to have him here.  However, he has shown a great deal of immaturity for someone of his experience level, and that has been a disappointment.  I hope he doesn't get Snyder fired.  Trae already doesn't pay attention in time out huddles, and it's only been a few weeks.  

42 minutes ago, Watchman said:

You only read what you want to read.   As I said, I am not gung ho on getting Siakam, I was just pointing out it would be nice if we could get someone of value for him.  If Trae shows that he can grow up and make this team a winner, I am happy to have him here.  However, he has shown a great deal of immaturity for someone of his experience level, and that has been a disappointment.  I hope he doesn't get Snyder fired.  Trae already doesn't pay attention in time out huddles, and it's only been a few weeks.  

You are literally just making stuff up now. So far in this thread you've said:

Trae doesn't pay attention in the huddle

Trae is selfish and immature

No star wants to play with Trae

Trae pouts when asked to share the ball

Can't win a title with him

Not a single statement do you know to be true. Just making ish up. SMDH

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was wonderful to watch from Hunter, BTW.  DH put the pain on the Celtics for not scheming for him.  It is a shame that JC and CC couldn't match a fraction of his productivity.  Was like playing 3 on 5 on offense with our starters vs their starters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

You are literally just making stuff up now. So far in this thread you've said:

Trae doesn't pay attention in the huddle

Trae is selfish and immature

No star wants to play with Trae

Trae pouts when asked to share the ball

Can't win a title with him

Not a single statement do you know to be true. Just making ish up. SMDH

Maybe you should pay attention to him in time outs. See for yourself.

Yes, it's perfectly normal when talked to about spreading the ball around to completely stop shooting altogether.  That's a temper tantrum whether you admit it or not.

Where are the stars lining up to play alongside Trae?  "Most overrated" doesn't sound too encouraging.

So far, getting further and further away from a title.

Doesn't sound like making things up to me.  Perhaps you should pay attention to things going on around our team.

Edited by Watchman

24 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Maybe you should pay attention to him in time outs. See for yourself.

Yes, it's perfectly normal when talked to about spreading the ball around to completely stop shooting altogether.  That's a temper tantrum whether you admit it or not.

Where are the stars lining up to play alongside Trae?  "Most overrated" doesn't sound too encouraging.

So far, getting further and further away from a title.

Doesn't sound like making things up to me.  Perhaps you should pay attention to things going on around our team.

No, you are clearly reading what you want to into certain situations. Ie...just making stuff up. 

I've seen Quin and Trae talking routinely every game. I've seen him engaged in the huddle. 

As for refusing to shoot....what game did he play regular minutes and have no shots? I don't think that's ever happens. So wrong again. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

I brought this up in the 25 game challenge thread, and I'm going to say this again about Hunter.  Whatever he's going to be, he requires the ball in his hands to prove that he can be it.  That task is more difficult playing 3rd behind Trae and DJM (especially in the previous offense).  Maybe he shines with more ball movement or if he's stretching the defense with the long ball.  Maybe. 

As it were, the ideal environment for him isn't playing behind two ball-dominant iso ballers.  Not unless he can maintain this level of production/aggressiveness that we see every 5 games or so and he can command touches as a #2.  Otherwise, Dre is better served in a system where he can get more {meaningful} touches and we are better served with a sniper/3nD in his slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

I brought this up in the 25 game challenge thread, and I'm going to say this again about Hunter.  Whatever he's going to be, he requires the ball in his hands to prove that he can be it.  That task is more difficult playing 3rd behind Trae and DJM (especially in the previous offense).  Maybe he shines with more ball movement or if he's stretching the defense with the long ball.  Maybe. 

As it were, the ideal environment for him isn't playing behind two ball-dominant iso ballers.  Not unless he can maintain this level of production/aggressiveness that we see every 5 games or so and he can command touches as a #2.  Otherwise, Dre is better served in a system where he can get more {meaningful} touches and we are better served with a sniper/3nD in his slot.

This. Does Hunter produce, ya sure, he gets minutes he will put up numbers… but at what cost. I’m not wanting to feature him like that as a scorer every game, he’s wildly inconsistent and it feels like fool’s gold when he scores, feels like the other team wants to trap us like that on purpose and have Dre be the secondary scorer.

I agree with the system, with Trae we need a dude that spots up and bangs home catch and shoot 3’s at a high rate. With Dre, it’s iso Dre and it completely takes the rest of the team’s focus away.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What the heck is wrong with OO? He's been invisible for much of the series.

I don't want to hear it's a matchup thing. 

He needs to show up. I was expecting it at home during the last 2 games but nothing. We have better bigs than Boston (CC OO JC>WilliamsIII Hor GrantWill) but they have outplayed us this far.

OO is best in helter skelter mode of a fast pace game where he offensive boards and runs the court.

We need to run and spread the court and HIT SHOTS and most importantly make the 3’s harder for them. It’s like a layup for them stepping into 3’s, our perimeter defense is horrid.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

This. Does Hunter produce, ya sure, he gets minutes he will put up numbers… but at what cost. I’m not wanting to feature him like that as a scorer every game, he’s wildly inconsistent and it feels like fool’s gold when he scores, feels like the other team wants to trap us like that on purpose and have Dre be the secondary scorer.

I agree with the system, with Trae we need a dude that spots up and bangs home catch and shoot 3’s at a high rate. With Dre, it’s iso Dre and it completely takes the rest of the team’s focus away.

You hit the nail on the head here.

I watched game 4 and realized that Boston is leaving Hunter wide open.   I think Mazzulla recognizes what many of us recognizes about Dre..

1. He hesitates. 
  2.  He rarely puts the ball on the floor. 
  3. He's not a willing passer. 
  4. He's not a great ball handler, he will fumble the ball if he's made to dribble more than 3 to 4 steps. 
  5. He doesn't shoot a good percentage with a hand in his face or with somebody running at him. 

With those 4 things, you have the makings of a great guy to leave wide open.  It's the same thing that Miami did last year.  In Game 4 here and Game 5 against Miami, Dre played beyond the 5 points.  He caught and released with no hesitation.   A time or two, he put the ball on the floor.  He shot a good percentage with a person running out at him. 

Dre' has to be consistent with this.  Consistent and Confident. 

This is why many of us gravitated to Bey.   On Offense, Bey has none of these drawbacks.   He's streaky though.   But the one thing I wish that Dre' would learn from Bey is that if your shot ain't falling, take the ball inside.  If you drive in from the corner, a switching defense like Boston will probably end up fouling you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Where are the playoff numbers that support this mumbo jumbo nonsense about Bey being better at anything vs Deandre Hunter? Y'all keep saying it but the eye test and the numbers do not support anything you are saying about Bey. The only thing Dre has not done in the playoffs is consistently hit his 3's. Other than that what are you guys talking about? He is shooting 61% from 2 while grabbing 6 rebounds per game. He is diminishing Tatum's efficiency. He is leading the team in on off +/-. My god...what is it with you people???

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Wretch said:

Otherwise, Dre is better served in a system where he can get more {meaningful} touches and we are better served with a sniper/3nD in his slot.

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense, quicker decision making will also help.  Helps keep the defense honest.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Wretch said:

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense. Help keep the defense honest.

No one is doing that on this Hawks team so why the different standard for Dre vs all othe Hawk player? Should they all be required to hit 50% of their open 3's including Trae Young?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Where are the playoff numbers that support this mumbo jumbo nonsense about Bey being better at anything vs Deandre Hunter? Y'all keep saying it but the eye test and the numbers do not support anything you are saying about Bey. The only thing Dre has not done in the playoffs is consistently hit his 3's. Other than that what are you guys talking about? He is shooting 61% from 2 while grabbing 6 rebounds per game. He is diminishing Tatum's efficiency. He is leading the team in on off +/-. My god...what is it with you people???

Numbers??

If you're referring to my statement.   I said Bey is Streaky.. but the one thing that Dre' can learn from Bey is how to pass up the 3 pt shot when the shot is not falling and drive.   I don't know what "Stat" you would want to see for that or if there is one.. but...

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/04/23/0042200114/180/22f86489-5770-045d-79f3-93648b8feccf_1280x720.mp4

This is what I'm talking about.   And we've seen him do this since he's been here. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense. Help keep the defense honest.

No one is doing that on this Hawks team so why the different standard for Dre vs all othe Hawk player? Should they all be required to hit 50% of their open 3's including Trae Young?

If Dre and JC are going to continue to jack up Three point shots, they need to hit them.   Boston is pretty much leaving them open.  When the other team can start doing run outs when they see you about to shoot the three, it means that they have the expectation that you will miss.   For JC and Dre' this was immediately obvious because first they were pretty much unguarded.. then the man that did the run out continued up the court for a break away score. 

• Premium Member

I don't know what "Stat" you would want to see for that or if there is one.. but...

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/04/23/0042200114/180/22f86489-5770-045d-79f3-93648b8feccf_1280x720.mp4

This is what I'm talking about.   And we've seen him do this since he's been here. 

So you show 1 play which you think proves your point about Bey being better than Dre and that's your entire argument???  Am I in the Twilight zone?