• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics -- GAME 5

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

All true, and all in the 4th. Every little thing went perfect for Trae in the 4th and despite of all of you guys thinking I didn't love, I sure did. I already said his 4th quarter was great, I just can't say the same for the entire game.

Very True, he wasn't perfect/great the entire game, but it wasn't because of 'selfishness' - that's my main issue with your comment. 

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And to think that some of the most ardent Trae Young I mean Hawk Fans did not think this team could stop the Celtics when needed.  Shame, Shame Shame!

Some people feel no shame in spite of being WRONG.  Know what I mean?  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

No. One. Said. That.  

Really?

Defensively, we have given them some very wide open looks often... but that's not what's killing us.. what's killing us is times when we just don't score.  @Peoriabird believes that we can magically play better defense and it will lead us to winning.   No.. Boston has too many weapons for that.   I would have agreed with him until I saw Marcus Smart nailing 3 pters. consistently... and let me not mention Derrick White.   And they still have Moose on the bench.    No.. we're going to have to play perfectly on offense.  No dumb fouls... and execute.

So instead of double teaming Tatum you just do what exactly?  Let Hunter play him 1-1 and foul out in the 2nd quarter? Put JC on him?  Or JJ?   And how does any of that stop Boston - the 2nd best offense in the regular season and top 5 shooting team in the NBA - from scoring at will against our undersized and overmatched, non-defensive playing players??  

So your whole plan to win is for a team that is historically terrible at defense to play better defense in the playoffs against an elite offensive team that has more depth and quality than the Hawks?  And THAT'S more plausible to you than asking a team that has been elite on offense all year to shoot a little better?  They are already creating high quality looks.  Just make them.  That's decidedly more plausible than asking this team to defend at the necessary level to shut down boston.  Which is exactly what you'd have to do if you are going with an all defensive lineup.  

6 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Well, you need to acknowledge all of the times when he did the same and failed miserably.

Trae had 25+ FGA 10 times this year:

1. 15-32/5-10/ 42 pts / 1.31 pts per att
  2. 10-28/2-5/ 22 pts / 0.79 ppa
  3. 13-28/4-10/ 44 pts / 1.57 ppa
  4. 12-27/4-11/ 35 pts / 1.30 ppa
  5. 9-26/2-9/ 34 pts / 1.31 ppa
  6. 12-26/1-5/ 34 pts / 1.31 ppa 
  7. 11-26/2-6/ 31 pts / 1.19 ppa
  8. 9-25/2-8/ 28 pts / 1.12 ppa
  9. 12-25/2-7/ 33 pts / 1.32 ppa
  10. 15-25/1-4/ 41 pts / 1.64 ppa

He sucked in the 3 bolded games.  Acknowledged.  

Now you need to acknowledge that you don't like Trae and are just looking for reasons to complain about him even when he's literally the reason the TEAM won.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

No. One. Said. That.  

There is more

It would be great if they could clamp down and hold Boston to 100 points or something.  Get stops late in the game.  But I think the likelihood of them doing something like that is a whole lot less than them just hitting their open shots.  And again, they've done it before. There is precedence for these same players making shots.  It's been inconsistent for sure and that's what's maddening about this team.  But every one of them is capable of going out and shooting 40% from 3pt.  And that's what it will likely take to win.  

Back to the defense....how many clutch, contested 3s has Tatum hit this series?  Every time they need one he hits it.  Do you think there's anything the Hawks can do to stop it?  Do you think there's anything the Hawks can do to slow Tatum down if you don't want them to double him?  The doubles allow an open shooter.  And Boston hits their open shots.  How many wide open corner 3s has Smart hit?  What about White or Brogdon or Horford?  

We can just hope they all miss and have off nights, which is certainly possible.  But that doesn't seem like a prudent strategy to me.  I'm not sure we have any evidence that anyone on this team can be a lockdown defender against 5 guys on the court that can all shoot and make plays. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

No. One. Said. That.  

Even more from someone

I'm saying that expecting the defense to carry the team is a fool's errand. It's much more likely that the offense can play better than they have (by hitting open shots) than it is that the defense miraculously transforms into something capable of stopping or slowing an elite offense. 

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Really?

Defensively, we have given them some very wide open looks often... but that's not what's killing us.. what's killing us is times when we just don't score.  @Peoriabird believes that we can magically play better defense and it will lead us to winning.   No.. Boston has too many weapons for that.   I would have agreed with him until I saw Marcus Smart nailing 3 pters. consistently... and let me not mention Derrick White.   And they still have Moose on the bench.    No.. we're going to have to play perfectly on offense.  No dumb fouls... and execute.

So instead of double teaming Tatum you just do what exactly?  Let Hunter play him 1-1 and foul out in the 2nd quarter? Put JC on him?  Or JJ?   And how does any of that stop Boston - the 2nd best offense in the regular season and top 5 shooting team in the NBA - from scoring at will against our undersized and overmatched, non-defensive playing players??  

So your whole plan to win is for a team that is historically terrible at defense to play better defense in the playoffs against an elite offensive team that has more depth and quality than the Hawks?  And THAT'S more plausible to you than asking a team that has been elite on offense all year to shoot a little better?  They are already creating high quality looks.  Just make them.  That's decidedly more plausible than asking this team to defend at the necessary level to shut down boston.  Which is exactly what you'd have to do if you are going with an all defensive lineup.  

Yes really. If you actually quote the whole of what I said, I also said we could win if Boston suddenly goes cold.  Which they did. NO ONE SAID THiS: 

16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:
  16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And to think that some of the most ardent Trae Young I mean Hawk Fans did not think this team could stop the Celtics when needed.  Shame, Shame Shame!

Setting aside your idiotic assertion that we aren't Hawk fans, you continually (deliberately I presume) twist what is said. You are an out and out LIAR.  When @Dieseland I said the above, we were talking about full game strategy.  I specifically said the Hawks didn't have it in them to consistently defend them.  The Celtics shot 53% from the Field.  How is that stopping them?  They did, however, all of a sudden shoot only 31.6% from 3pt which is EXACTLY. WHAT. I. SAID. COULD. HAPPEN.  They went cold from 3pt. It happens.  Unless you are asserting that the Hawks all of a sudden defended the 3 ball last night (which they didn't do any better than any other time this series).  

Yes, the Hawks got stops late in the game.  Yes, that was, in part, due to good plays by Hunter and Trae on two steals.  But they also had Jaylen Brown throw the ball out of bounds.  They also had missed shots that they typically make.  To sit here and try to say that the Hawks can now defend Boston consistently based on that is utterly disingenuous.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Yes really. If you actually quote the whole of what I said, I also said we could win if Boston suddenly goes cold.  Which they did. NO ONE SAID THiS: 

Setting aside your idiotic assertion that we aren't Hawk fans, you continually (deliberately I presume) twist what is said. You are an out and out LIAR.  When @Dieseland I said the above, we were talking about full game strategy.  I specifically said the Hawks didn't have it in them to consistently defend them.  The Celtics shot 53% from the Field.  How is that stopping them?  They did, however, all of a sudden shoot only 31.6% from 3pt which is EXACTLY. WHAT. I. SAID. COULD. HAPPEN.  They went cold from 3pt. It happens.  Unless you are asserting that the Hawks all of a sudden defended the 3 ball last night (which they didn't do any better than any other time this series).  

Yes, the Hawks got stops late in the game.  Yes, that was, in part, due to good plays by Hunter and Trae on two steals.  But they also had Jaylen Brown throw the ball out of bounds.  They also had missed shots that they typically make.  To sit here and try to say that the Hawks can now defend Boston consistently based on that is utterly disingenuous.  

So your conclusion is that Boston just went cold rather than Hawk good defense

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Comment read, but hidden. There are no Pinocchios in here. Carry on! ~lw3

Am I?

23 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

All I know is that when I made the statement that I think hitting shots is a great thing and if the Hawks hit all of their shot, it would be great but we know that is just lunacy because they are even a good shooting team even if they do manage to hit 50% of their shot, they still have to get stops and got push back...just saying

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Am I?

Absolutely. 100%.  

To answer your last question:  it was a combination of both. Over the last 4:47, the Celtics had 4 missed shots (shots they typically have made in this series) and 3 stellar defensive plays: the double that ended up a Dre steal, the Trae steal, and the OO block.  

But I'm done.  Not going to engage in your nonsense any longer.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, thecampster said:

It only took 17 hours before we devolved into hate and spite...well done.

They used to wait until the Hawks lost to spam all of the agenda driven debates. Now even after the biggest win of the season it's like this. SMH.

• Sad 2

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

But I'm done.  Not going to engage in your nonsense any longer.  

Because there is no defense!  Its in black and white in your own words!  You thought they could not play defense and they did!  You thought it would have to be a shoot out and it wasn't.  It was more of a slug fest down the stretch.  It wasn't about the Celtics missing open or makable shots, It was about the Hawks defense. But I know your little ego won't allow you to admit when you are wrong. I get it

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, terrell said:

Hawks have officially overachieved this postseason imo...

We were supposed to be swept.

Instead, we've at least created doubt in Boston's Championship aspirations....

Obviously, getting Game 6 at home gives us hope of doing more..

Murray coming back pissed off should help. lol

Don’t forget we were supposed to lose to Miami who crushed Trae and had him all figured out.  The law of the mid means we can’t be under 50%. So our odds of winning it all are still pretty great. Lol 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

You don't need to be infuriated about my feelings. I respect yours and it's ok. 

Trae took 33 shots and got a few times to the line in 44 minutes. You can't say that's not selfish. There's no other word for that. And yes it somehow worked, when many of us were already accepting defeat. 

Granted it worked VERY well in the 4th, still had a somewhat inefficient FG% but in the end the Hawks won, kudos to Trae (IN THE 4TH) and ALL IS FORGIVEN. We survived, against all odds.  

Honestly, there's absolutely nothing in my post to be infuriated about. Trae just chose to take all of DJ's shots and it worked out in the end, great for the Hawks. Let's just be happy about it and wait for Thursday night. 

Geez. It looks like some of you guys are rooting for Trae only, and not for the team. 🙄

Selfish means doing things the coach is telling you not to do and making choices that lessen the team's odds of winning for your individual glory.  Anybody think Trae passing the ball 16 times instead of shooting gets us the win?  Anyone think Quin is yelling "WTF are you doing Trae?!?" because Trae won't follow the gameplan?  No.  Sometimes your best odds are riding your star and that was Game 5.  Not selfish to shoot when the team needs you to shoulder that kind of scoring responsibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1