Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics -- GAME 5

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here's @HawkLove0 thoughts on Squawk posters being hard on Hawks players from way back in 2015....but yet, here we are.  Interesting, very interesting.

There's some serious PI work in unearthing a post like that. 

2015??? This lady bird must be keeping tabs on every 'sus' squawk poster. 🧐

🤐🤐🤐😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here's @HawkLove0 thoughts on Squawk posters being hard on Hawks players from way back in 2015....but yet, here we are.  Interesting, very interesting.

Geez, how much does a person have to hate life to come to a site to try and stamp out other folks happiness? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So your conclusion is that Boston just went cold rather than Hawk good defense

It's interesting that the Hawks defensive stand took place at the same time that they started hitting shots consistently. 

You know.. offense helping the defense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I'll say it...

We've been giving JJ the biggest pass. 

He's been our worse shooter on the floor.  His defense has been raggedy. Yet, we are ready to turn over the keys to him.  I say.. NOT Yet. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Fine. He gets all of the criticism because the vast majority of the fan base believes he has the tools to do much better when he plays poorly. Getting smothered on the paint every other possession when you're down 10 will get some fans pissed off. 

But I can see now 'selfish' was a bad word. That's on me, my bad. 

Liked this.  Should have finished catching up before posting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

For me, it is a very fair statement to question whether that kind of approach from Trae is bad for the team over the long haul just like you could question Kobe going iso.  There are games where that is needed but I actually agree it isn’t how you regularly want to play.  But the use of the word “selfish” carried a much bigger connotation and it’s one I haven’t seen an indication of from Coach Quin.  If Snyder is telling him not to shoot and he is shooting to boost his own stats and ego then I’m good with the use of that word.  But if Quin is encouraging him to take control then I think use of that word is highly inappropriate where criticism of that strategy would be fair game without calling the player selfish.

Yeah. But all indications from Quin are that he's encouraging all the guys to shoot as much as possible. And with Trae, to be aggressive with his shot. There's been zero indications that Trae is going against what Quin is coaching. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agree or disagree?

Disagree completely. We traded Kevin to avoid the luxury tax. We resigned Bogi because of our dearth of shooting, and because he didn't have much trade value. Kevin had an excellent year, the best of his career. I'm not big on the idea that a handful of playoff games is the end all be all of a player, either good or bad.

53 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Disagree completely. We traded Kevin to avoid the luxury tax. We resigned Bogi because of our dearth of shooting, and because he didn't have much trade value. Kevin had an excellent year, the best of his career. I'm not big on the idea that a handful of playoff games is the end all be all of a player, either good or bad.

Kevin had an excellent season.  Here are his current playoff numbers:

5 games - 25 mpg

9 pts - 4.2 rebs - 1.6 asst 

38.5% FG - 16% 3FG - 50% FT

7.3 PER - ( -0.01 ) WS/48 - ( -4.3 ) BPM

These numbers are worse than what he put up with us in the Miami series last playoffs.

I'll always have love for Kevin. Amd his Game 7 performance vs Philly makes him a Hawks legend. But there's a reason outside of finances why we chose to part ways with him.

As a shooter, you must be better than what he's showing now. If he doesn't watch himself, he'll be coming off the bench next season with Keegan Murray taking half of his minutes.

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Kevin had an excellent season.  Here are his current playoff numbers:

5 games - 25 mpg

9 pts - 4.2 rebs - 1.6 asst 

38.5% FG - 16% 3FG - 50% FT

7.3 PER - ( -0.01 ) WS/48 - ( -4.3 ) BPM

These numbers are worse than what he put up with us in the Miami series last playoffs.

I'll always have love for Kevin. Amd his Game 7 performance vs Philly makes him a Hawks legend. But there's a reason outside of finances why we chose to part ways with him.

As a shooter, you must be better than what he's showing now. If he doesn't watch himself, he'll be coming off the bench next season with Keegan Murray taking half of his minutes.

So this playoff series should define Kevin as a player? That's like saying last year's playoff series with Miami should define Trae. Come on Clyde, you're better than that. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah. But all indications from Quin are that he's encouraging all the guys to shoot as much as possible. And with Trae, to be aggressive with his shot. There's been zero indications that Trae is going against what Quin is coaching. 

Fully agree.  I do hope Quin has a new approach to end game offense in mind for next year.  I don't want to see a bunch of iso ball unless we are isolating favorable matchups for good shots.  Generic iso play is generally not very efficient.  

Hope that is part of a larger overhaul where there are more preset actions; more cutting, intentional movement and screens off the ball; etc.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Fully agree.  I do hope Quin has a new approach to end game offense in mind for next year.  I don't want to see a bunch of iso ball unless we are isolating favorable matchups for good shots.  Generic iso play is generally not very efficient.  

Hope that is part of a larger overhaul where there are more preset actions; more cutting, intentional movement and screens off the ball; etc.  

This is what killed the Bucks against Miami last night.

• Like 1