Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics -- GAME 5

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, hawkman said:

Don't bother trying to explain when people are being disingenuous. We have posters on this site who are low key salty about Trae willing the team to a road win against the #2 seed because they don't like him. 

You're dammm right I don't like when he gets smothered in the paint of chooses to shoot 30+ footer instead of passing the rock for a team mate with a clearly much better shot. 

But of course, we won because of his superb shots in the 4th. I'm thankful for that, even though I would rather have him looking for his team mates a little bit more.  

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You do know that almost ALL superstar players are selfish to a point, because they believe in their ability.

What would you have liked to seen?  Bey, who has never been in the playoffs before, take late game winning shots?  How about Hunter?  JC?  Bogi?  All of those players may be capable of making game winning type shots at the end.  But you talk as if Trae has never done this before.  He knows what to do at the end of games.

Game winner in Game 5 vs the Knicks to eliminate them.

10 points in the final 5 minutes of Game 7 in Philly, after having a horrible shooting night

Game winner vs Miami in Game 3 last year.

Game winner last night vs Boston in Game 5.

LOL . . you talk about he almost threw the game away.  The man had 38 points and 13 assists . . zero turnovers in the 2nd half.  He played above average defense most of the night.  And he made the plays that we needed to make to win games.

And yet you still have mixed feelings about him?  LOL.

LOL you act like I'm talking about the last shot?... I'm talking about the entire game, man.  

I fully acknowledged we only won because of his last shot (which I thought it was a good shot, we could still have grabbed the rebound even if he missed). You guys just can't hear any honest criticism about the way he played for three full quarters, but I get it.

Ice Trae can do no wrong. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I actually think that Clint is more of a liability than Trae and maybe even Murray now.

At this point I think OO and Clint need to get their minutes switched. CC is still really valuable with his rebounding, but OO might already be the better player. Still very foul prone, but probably better overall.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

At this point I think OO and Clint need to get their minutes switched. CC is still really valuable with his rebounding, but OO might already be the better player. Still very foul prone, but probably better overall.

In this series, OO may be better getting more minutes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

You don't need to be infuriated about my feelings. I respect yours and it's ok. 

Trae took 33 shots and got a few times to the line in 44 minutes. You can't say that's not selfish. There's no other word for that. And yes it somehow worked, when many of us were already accepting defeat. 

Granted it worked VERY well in the 4th, still had a somewhat inefficient FG% but in the end the Hawks won, kudos to Trae (IN THE 4TH) and ALL IS FORGIVEN. We survived, against all odds.  

Honestly, there's absolutely nothing in my post to be infuriated about. Trae just chose to take all of DJ's shots and it worked out in the end, great for the Hawks. Let's just be happy about it and wait for Thursday night. 

Geez. It looks like some of you guys are rooting for Trae only, and not for the team. 🙄

Yeaaaah......no.  This is still a ridiculously stupid take to say that Trae played selfishly and we "somehow won" as if they just stumbled into a win accidently.  

The infuriating part is knowing that you and others would have happily criticized him for not being a winning player had he passed it to a teammate and said teammate missed the shot.  Bottom line is, Trae can't win with some fans.  Pass the ball and lose and he's a losing player. Take that shot and win and he's selfish.  Hell, we've even had someone say that when he doesn't shoot he's "throwing a tantrum."  There's literally no way he can win with some supposed Hawks fans.    

• Like 4

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:

It's more than just the winning shot though:

3 point shot to get within 3

Steal from Smart

3 point shot to tie the game

4 clutch freethrows

3 point shot for the win - this doesn't happen without the stuff prior.

All true, and all in the 4th. Every little thing went perfect for Trae in the 4th and despite of all of you guys thinking I didn't love, I sure did. I already said his 4th quarter was great, I just can't say the same for the entire game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’ve listened to so many takes on last nights games from the pundits and podcasts.  They all sound the same.  Not really giving Trae his props, like immediately bringing up his flaws after a compliment.  

One phrase they almost all said, “Celtics were playing with their food”.  It’s like they are given a script.  

Yep.  It's like the 5 stages of grief.

1. Deny that Hawks and / or Trae did anything special
  2. Get angry at how the Celtics blew the game
  3. Bargain by stating continually that Celtics will win Game 6
  4. Depression: to follow Game 6 loss
  5. Acceptance that Hawks might actually be a decent team going into Game 7

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeaaaah......no.  This is still a ridiculously stupid take to say that Trae played selfishly and we "somehow won" as if they just stumbled into a win accidently.  

The infuriating part is knowing that you and others would have happily criticized him for not being a winning player had he passed it to a teammate and said teammate missed the shot.  Bottom line is, Trae can't win with some fans.  Pass the ball and lose and he's a losing player. Take that shot and win and he's selfish.  Hell, we've even had someone say that when he doesn't shoot he's "throwing a tantrum."  There's literally no way he can win with some supposed Hawks fans.    

Well, you need to acknowledge all of the times when he did the same and failed miserably. Thank goodness those where in the regular season and not in the playoffs. Still it worked. Somehow. Against the odds. 

And I didn't say he was selfish because of the last shot. That shot was his, no doubt. Some of the other 32 (!) could have gone to team mates with better shots. That's all. But as always some just refuse to accept it.