• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

39 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The source cleared me to reveal the name of the superstar.

It is Giannis. 

I am not saying it is going to happen but it is being discussed and it depends on if Giannis wants to come to Atlanta. This is from my source and from @NBASupes source. 

It also leaves the option to trade for BI and the team would look roughly something like:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

The longer  version of what I've heard can come down to three options for our roster:

The above option, the "Push All The Chips In" is what I call it. We will be a  good team, no question, but with a scary future with no firsts for a long time.

2nd Option:

We trade Murray and AJ  to NO for BI and the Lakers 2025 unprotected first

We keep Trae. We do NOT trade for Giannis. We use the #1 pick on Sarr.

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

We blow it all up. SAS have offered 4, 8 and all our picks back for Trae. We move him. We keep the #1 pick. We move Murray not to the Pelicans but to the Pistons or another team I've been told not to mention that has picks/young guys.

Roster would be:

(this is my postulating at possible draft results)

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Hunter/#8 pick in this draft

Sarr/OO

We have all our picks back as well as picks and young guys from moving Murray to either the Pistons or mystery team.

Which option do you guys and gal prefer? I think the 3rd option is the best one but the 2nd option is more safe. The first option MIGHT win us a title...but then we'll be in purgatory for years with no draft picks.

If someone can make a poll with these three options, please do so, you have my blessing. These are the three big scenarios the Hawks FO is discussing now and in the upcoming time to the draft.

I'm all about winning a title. So, I vote for pushing in the chips and trading for Giannis. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

It is Giannis. 

I am not saying it is going to happen but it is being discussed and it depends on if Giannis wants to come to Atlanta. This is from my source and from @NBASupes source. 

It also leaves the option to trade for BI and the team would look roughly something like:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

The longer  version of what I've heard can come down to three options for our roster:

The above option, the "Push All The Chips In" is what I call it. We will be a  good team, no question, but with a scary future with no firsts for a long time.

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

We blow it all up. SAS have offered 4, 8 and all our picks back for Trae. We move him. We keep the #1 pick. We move Murray not to the Pelicans but to the Pistons or another team I've been told not to mention that has picks/young guys.

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

We have all our picks back as well as picks and young guys from moving Murray to either the Pistons or mystery team.

Which option do you guys and gal prefer? I think the 3rd option is the best one but the 2nd option is more safe. The first option MIGHT win us a title...but then we'll be in purgatory for years with no draft picks.

If someone can make a poll with these three options, please do so, you have my blessing. These are the three big scenarios the Hawks FO is discussing now and in the upcoming time to the draft.

Amazing to have this intel.  I put most of the clues together already, and made my case for Giannis.  Especially if we get a pick from New Orleans.  

Our draft capital is replenished for the most part after the 2027 draft plus we’d still have Trae and Giannis.  Any gaps on the roster are covered by ring chasers until then.  It would be the first time I can remember where we would consistently be in contender status.   Although I get the fear that we risk becoming Phoenix if chemistry is totally off.  A valid attempt at a ring is the whole point, let’s take the shot.  

I like the other two options as well as I’ve kind of bought into Sarr.  

Just hope Ressler isn’t the devil everyone thinks he is and makes a mess of whichever direction we go.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

Thanks, Sothron. This is great insight.

What causes us to choose one scenario over the other? Is the biggest swing factor Trae's desire to be here? Or Tony's desire to play the LT? Or maybe Landry's risk tolerance for a massive swing? All are obviously necessities for scenario 1, but I am curious as to what the biggest internal sticking point right now.

Appreciate your intel as always. Makes being a Hawks fan a lot more fun when they continue to underperform on the court.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

Which would Snyder prefer?  Do we believe he is a championship coach?  Would Snyder stick around for Option 3?  Is there an option for Trae to go somewhere other than SA?

Did you leave Gueye out of the first option on purpose? 

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

Option #1 offers the best chance at the Championship, assuming everyone remains healthy. However, it limits trades and exceptions due to lack of control over draft picks for an extended period and definitely places you in the second apron. This approach has been tried before without success, and there's no assurance Tony will pay the tax.

Option #2 is a hybrid of options one and three. As @Sothron mentioned, it's a safer choice, but it's uncertain if Trae would be content with this, knowing he might not accept it, and additional pieces are still needed.

Option #3 is the rebuild model. However, for every successful Oklahoma City, there's a struggling Detroit, and for every Houston, there's a Washington. Choosing this path requires patience and a commitment to doing things correctly.

I wouldn't want to be in Mr. Fields' position, as he must make a decision that could alter the franchise's direction forever. Personally, I favor Option #1, but it sacrifices the long-term plan for a win-now approach, which often fails. Option #2 seems overly cautious and might upset Trae, leading to his departure as a free agent. Therefore, my choice would be Option #3; while it may be challenging in the short term, it offers draft capital and quality players essential for building the team properly. Additionally, with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the potential for expansion on the horizon, we will have the opportunity to sculpt this roster and construct a team for both the present and the future.

• Like 4

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

Is there any scenario where we can trade for Giannis and keep Sarr?  Could we transfer the Lakers unprotected 1st in the Flagg draft to Mil instead of our 1st this year?  I would do that. Trade DJ and OO to NOP for Ingram/Daniels/Lakers pick with the pick moving to Bucks as part of Giannis deal.  

We could have a roster of:

Trae / Kobe

Bogi / Daniels

Ingram / Vit

Giannis / Mo

Sarr / Bruno

Would leave a black hole at center so we'd need to add some vet depth.  

• Like 4

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

I understand JJ would be a part of a Giannis trade but is there a reason you left him off the roster in options #2 and #3? Him being on the team is a huge swing of opinion if you ask me and why I am hesitant on trading for Giannis. I like JJ being part of any new core moving forward.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

Why is everyone thinking some big trade is going to go down and we are going to make wholesale changes to this team?  That's most likely not going to happen.

Because the insiders are telling us that these changes are being discussed. Their intel is driving the dialogue. Many of us do not wake up wanting to blow up the roster. Myself included.

Also.....for Option 3, what players come back from SA to match Trae's salary?  They have a lot of low salary players.  Trading Trae for picks doesn't work so we'd need salary back.  

If we traded Trae for Keldon Johnson and Zach Collins (plus all the picks), that works.  

It wouldn't HAVE to be a complete rebuild.  You'd still have:

DJM / Kobe

Bogi / AJ / Vit

KJ / Hunter / Bey

JJ / Mo

OO / Clint / Collins

Plus 1, 4, and 8 this year plus all our picks in future years.  Draft Sarr, Shepherd and Ron Holland or take Topic instead of Shepherd.  I don't know the picks, but this isn't a horrible roster.  It wouldn't necessarily mean a complete rebuild.  We'd need JJ, Sarr, or one of the draft picks to emerge into a star.  

3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

If Giannis is so available and if SA is really offering all that for Trae, why wouldn’t SA just do the trade for Giannis themselves?

San Antonio doesn't have Trae Young to feed Giannis lobs all day.  Giannis has a say in this, too. 

Also, Milwaukee might prefer getting Sarr and Jalen over anything San Antonio has to offer.  We have an expiring contract in Capela as well.  

All parties have to want to do the deal.  You have to think from Giannis perspective.  

40 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Is there any scenario where we can trade for Giannis and keep Sarr?  Could we transfer the Lakers unprotected 1st in the Flagg draft to Mil instead of our 1st this year?  I would do that. Trade DJ and OO to NOP for Ingram/Daniels/Lakers pick with the pick moving to Bucks as part of Giannis deal.  

We could have a roster of:

Trae / Kobe

Bogi / Daniels

Ingram / Vit

Giannis / Mo

Sarr / Bruno

Would leave a black hole at center so we'd need to add some vet depth.  

This is best case scenario 

• Like 1

Thanks @Sothron!

Man, that’s tough. IDK. 
I could potentially get behind any of these scenarios, but I could also see all of them blowing up in our faces. 

My first choice would be any scenario that would allow us to keep Trae, JJ and draft Sarr.

I don’t think #1 as listed is enough to win a championship. Maybe room to work around the edges to raise the overall roster to get there, but that’s putting a lot of faith in both the FO to get it done AND in Ressler to spend big on the roster to bring in the necessary players. I don’t have a lot of faith in Ressler allowing the FO to do what needs to be done. 

Complete reset is a 50/50 crap shoot that we won’t know if it works out for a few years. And it’s putting A LOT of faith in the FO scouting department. 

Dear Landry & Korver:
giphy.gif.aa9923b27ff9df59d2c2c00c6994f338.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is Giannis. 

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

2nd Option:

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

Roster would be:

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Sarr/OO

I would go with an altered third option:  it's missing Jalen Johnson in the lineup for starters, but if we trade Trae, I'd rather for it to be for quality rotation players and picks rather than young prospects and picks, so I'm not a fan of a San Antonio trade.  Do it with another team like Orlando or New Orleans.  And I definitely would not want to dump Murray just because we trade Trae-- the whole allure of doing a soft rebuild would be having DJ's vet leadership in the locker room, establishing the culture for the young players to grow and thrive.

If the first option is "Push All The Chips In", the second option should be "Keep Filling Seats and Qualifying For The Play In".  Second option sucks in my opinion.  Least favorite.  First option is exciting and I'll be here for it but I still think my preference is a slightly altered third option.  Straight up tanking for Cooper Flagg is just awful, really bad.  Loser option, literally and figuratively.  It takes immense luck to get the #1 pick, even if you are terrible-- 86% chance you do not get it with one of the worst 4 records.  Not to mention the habits you have to try to unwind of losing basketball.

• Like 1