• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets (7 PM EST) -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

29 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We went on the magical run in 2021 AFTER we lost Hunter for the majority of the season. We dusted the Knicks with him, but our offense never really vibed. We upset the Sixers and went toe to toe with the Bucks WITHOUT Hunter.

His name is constantly on our lowest performing 5-man units.

I understand his talent and potential, but every version of the Hawks with Hunter in the lineup have under- achieved.

He may be that dude deep down, but it’s just not happening with us for whatever reason.

Hawks all time record with Deandre Hunter in the lineup: 94-113, .454%
Hunter out of the lineup: 55-46, .545%

People are fooled by his on ball defense which is decent. He is absolutely awful on off ball defense and his offense just does not mesh with what Trae wants to do. I don't hate Hunter but I do think it's time he's moved. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

People are fooled by his on ball defense which is decent. He is absolutely awful on off ball defense and his offense just does not mesh with what Trae wants to do. I don't hate Hunter but I do think it's time he's moved. 

I bet we play better with him out of the equation.

I’ll get blasted for this but we he wastes so many player minutes that it adds up over time.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

I have been labelled and accept that I am a Hunter Hater.. and this is it.  Very Little rebounds, Very little Assists, Offense every 37 games.   In essence, he stays in front of his man and he gets credit for being this great defensive player but he offers nothing tangible.  No steals, not rebounds, no Blocks, no take aways.    The defense is good but it doesn't make up for the shortcoming elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I bet we play better with him out of the equation.

I’ll get blasted for this but we he wastes so many player minutes that it adds up over time.

I think he's due some off the bench minutes. 

JJ and Bey are just dogs out there and it's hard to miss. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marvin24Williams said:

[] Hunter was our only wing defender in the right place time and time again and was protecting our other players like Bey who was constantly in the wrong position. Something we didn't see as much last year with JC even though he had his issues defensively as well. 

I would love to sit down with some of you guys and watch the games with you to see what you are watching. My guess is you are ball watching. [insults deleted]

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

[] Hunter was our only wing defender in the right place time and time again and was protecting our other players like Bey who was constantly in the wrong position. Something we didn't see as much last year with JC even though he had his issues defensively as well. 

I would love to sit down with some of you guys and watch the games with you to see what you are watching. My guess is you are ball watching. [insults deleted]

Supes saying that is like saying Bogi is in the right spots defensively which usually is the case… doesn’t make what we say not true

just because you are in the right place doesn’t not make you an overrated defender.

if he was in the right place at the right time constantly why does he continuously be a part of bad spurts of plus/minus.

but alas continue your Hunter defense tour

16 hours ago, Sothron said:

The only outside shooters I truly believe in are good on this team are Bogi and AJ. Trae, DJM are average (talking about three point shooting not mid range let me be clear), Hunter is average and Jalen is bad. Young guys have a chance to improve. 

One of the reasons I wish we would trade for KAT. A true three level scorer who is elite on offense would see this team's floor raise so much.

Speaking of shooting, despite Siakam's dismal 5 - 17 FG performance on Wednesday night, he was 3 - 5 from 3 point range.

image.gif.fad057aa90866b0926f839e1f9230f14.gif

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Supes saying that is like saying Bogi is in the right spots defensively which usually is the case… doesn’t make what we say not true

just because you are in the right place doesn’t not make you an overrated defender.

if he was in the right place at the right time constantly why does he continuously be a part of bad spurts of plus/minus.

but alas continue your Hunter defense tour

That's not even close to the same. Hunter can actually defend. Bogi still gets hunted on 1v1 actions and still listed as a liability on scouting reports. 

This whole, I don't like the way Hunter looks but when you watch the film, you don't see many negative plays is why I really don't listen much to you guys. The JJ love offensively is well deserved from Wednesday and in the preseason. Defensively, he's getting praised by some and was absolutely getting picked on by Charlotte off the ball. They saw that his awareness was low and he was the one to pick on. It was worst when it wad Bey and JJ. It was like watching dumb and dumber. That said, they are new to everything we are doing. It will take time and they both got the activity part of what we want to do down which is a good thing. 

I watched the playback and I didn't see many negative plays from Dre and I charged him for one of the negative plays that was key, the corner stepback from Miller was partly created by Hayward because with 7 seconds left, Dre overpersuited, leading to a kick out to a guard, can't remember but I think it was Rozier, all of our defenders wrongfully aggressively closed out, leading to a pass to Miller who with 2 seconds hit a stepback 3 which was soul crushing. That possession was labeled the 1st game changer for me. The 2nd and 3rd was on Trae and Murray/Capela. 

So this item that Hunter is perfect or close is foolish but this item that he's not doing anything is why you guys are looked down on by me. When you say stuff like, he's not doing anything off the ball, that's just flat out wrong and awful. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Speaking of shooting, despite Siakam's dismal 5 - 17 FG performance on Wednesday night, he was 3 - 5 from 3 point range.

image.gif.fad057aa90866b0926f839e1f9230f14.gif

I watched some of that game.   Siakim is a hindrance to that team.  For a long time I have had no love for Dennis.  Well, Dennis has found a good home for his game.  He has made Scottie better.  He has made Precious better.  It felt like Siakim was playing selfish ball on an unselfish team.   He did get one nice assist but he could have had 12 of those things.  He is what we thought he was...a high usage player.  Right now, he's the wrong guy to put with Trae and DJ. 

If I was choosing I would take KAT over Siakim.  Easily.

If I was choosing, I would bring Antman home.   This guy is a-freakin-mazing.   The Gobert trade was Horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@TheNorthCydeRises.....you get your wish of Dre at the 2.

Thoughts 🎤 ?

Dre isn't the difference maker here.

Bey-JJ-OO is a problem for other teams... I want to see those guys get 30 mins a night..

It's getting to be so obvious that this is the lineup we need but Quin gonna wait at the last minute to make this regular because of CC and Dre's feelings

WE NEED THE TRAE-SG-BEY-JJ-OO LINEUP STARTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON QUIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@TheNorthCydeRises.....you get your wish of Dre at the 2.

Thoughts 🎤 ?

I believe the success of lineups will vary based on matchups.   I don't think we can become too enamoured with any one set right now.  However, that mix should get more PT together.  Still Dre is not a 2.   I think Bogi at the 2 could have done just as well if not better.   The thing is matchup, the size of Dre could match up better with LaMelo.   But that won't always be the case or the need. 

12 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Hunter is a better scoring Ty Corbin. That's about it.

Extremely bad Hunter takes on here are equaling the extremely bad Trae takes on RealGM. [Insults removed]

Corbin played nothing like Hunter. He was a playmaking wing and that drive and do nothing else. Couldn't shoot a lick. Defensively, he was good for his era. Could guard twos and threes. If there is a player of recent who reminded me of Corbin was Marty Collins. Marty just couldn't defend as well. Corbin was a tad more athletic than him and stronger. Corbin was strong whereas Collins was fluffy and not the strongest. 

Hunter is a three level scorer, has elite defensive versatility, high BBIQ. Man, ya'll talk about this man like he's buns but he's good and consistently good. What Trae is to RealGM is what Hunter is to HS. Unnatural hate, it doesn't make any sense. 

• Thanks 1

If I never seen Trae and read RealGM as a Basketball fan, I would think Trae is a worse Monta Ellis. 

If I never Dre and read HS as a Basketball fan, I would think Hunter was a wing verison of Lawrence Funderburke. Just look the part but out there not really doing shit. 

In reality, Dre is a legit good. In reality, Trae is a legit offensive juggernaut. [Insults removed]