• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

52 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I still dont see why the Spurs would effectively reverse the trade— if theyre that low on some of these young guys maybe we should be concerned?  Or are they afraid Wemby isnt going to put hp with losing for very long?

They already got the prize they wanted, #1 pick.  It’s a good signal to his market that the old team wants him back.  Murray is still young enough to grow with that Spurs team.  

• Like 1

Spurs are easily our best trade option. Sitting at 14-21 with a lot of uncertainty about our future, those 2 unprotected picks and that pick swap are the most valuable assets we could get back in a trade BY FAR.

Even if you want to put another star around Trae, which should be the goal, getting those picks back is the easiest way to do that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Spurs are easily our best trade option. Sitting at 14-21 with a lot of uncertainty about our future, those 2 unprotected picks and that pick swap are the most valuable assets we could get back in a trade BY FAR.

Even if you want to put another star around Trae, which should be the goal, getting those picks back is the easiest way to do that.

If we made a trade for our own picks back, that signals to everyone we are rebuilding, not retooling.  Why else would we rather have our own picks than someone elses?  If the FO doesn't even believe in the roster, how can they expect fans to?  Angling for our own picks is a very bad signal imo and would validate @JayBirdHawk's concerns

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If we made a trade for our own picks back, that signals to everyone we are rebuilding, not retooling.  Why else would we rather have our own picks than someone elses?  If the FO doesn't even believe in the roster, how can they expect fans to?  Angling for our own picks is a very bad signal imo and would validate @JayBirdHawk's concerns

I’m not saying we have to keep those picks if we get them back. I’d hope we’d use them to get a star. But I haven’t seen a single credible rumored trade yet for DJM that makes us better.

So if we’re going to trade him, at least get the most value possible back. And those picks are probably it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, TheBigETrain said:

This would be a great outcome for Atlanta.  All their picks back and 26 swap back plus a Vassell homecoming for Murray.

Send them Mills back too for Graham/Cedi

That will never happen. I wish it did though. 

• Like 1

I think the key to all of this is how ATL's front office views Kobe Bufkin. Size wise, the are the same. Kobe was also know for being a defensive guard in college. If he can score efficiently (as he has been doing in his recent G-League stint), then trading DJ makes a ton of sense. Use the draft capital to get another proven all-star somewhere down the line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, tomac said:

I think the key to all of this is how ATL's front office views Kobe Bufkin. Size wise, the are the same. Kobe was also know for being a defensive guard in college. If he can score efficiently (as he has been doing in his recent G-League stint), then trading DJ makes a ton of sense. Use the draft capital to get another proven all-star somewhere down the line.

Kobe sucks...if we don't get a star beside Trae that can win...then Trae is gone.he won't redign..so front office better get some help now..picks are unless..unless u turn them in a 3 or 4 team trade with djm

18 hours ago, Diesel said:

You have to rightly define what pieces don't fit though.  We're doing what all Hawks fans do.. Just blame the next person in line.  NO worries, next year, it will be JJ. 

This team has talented people, but the flaws are numerous:

-You have a backcourt that is small and both are ball dominant players. It's a problem. It appears that the players understand it Aldo. Which is why Murray wants out.

-You have a center that is not very big and can't do anything on the offensive end but score around the rim. Cap still rebounds and blocks shots, but with Trae you need a big man that offers more versatility. Someone that can move better away from the rim.

-Softness. This team has almost zero toughness. 

-Outside of JJ and OO to some degree, this team really lacks versatility. The athleticism is not that great either.

-Bench depth isn't good. 

I suspect the team wants to keep Trae, JJ and OO...So...

Trae

?????

JJ

OO

????

I would like to see the Hawks grab a SG with size, good defense and shooting ability. Some decent ball handling without needing to dominate the ball. One that will do much of their scoring from the outside. What is needed was a better defending and more offensive minded Kevin Huerter at SG. One that's more of a 17-19PPG player 

The center spot might be tougher.

I'm not convinced that OO is going to much better as a starter, but I doubt management agrees with me. It is what it is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Spurs aren't giving us our picks back. Don't be one of those delusional fans. They got us by the short hairs and they know it.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

-You have a center that is not very big and can't do anything on the offensive end but score around the rim. Cap still rebounds and blocks shots, but with Trae you need a big man that offers more versatility. Someone that can move better away from the rim.

I'm going to come back to your overall point in a second, but wanted to push on this specific point...

So you're saying that if Dikembe Mutombo in his prime were on our team that he wouldn't work?  A lot of people down on Clint because he's 6'10 and doesn't shoot from outside.   I don't think that's the problem.   You're right that our overall construct needs a lot of tuning.   I don't know if it's coarse tuning or fine tuning, but it's tuning.    What I can't agree with is that Clint is a problem.  I think Clint solves way more problems than he causes.   He misses the occasional bunny.. but he has one of the highest FG% and True FG% in the league.   He is a top 10 rebounder and I think he's still top 15 in bpg.  He has even improved his FT% by a lot.   He's not an issue.  

Or major issues are 3 and 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

This team has talented people, but the flaws are numerous:

-You have a backcourt that is small and both are ball dominant players. It's a problem. It appears that the players understand it Aldo. Which is why Murray wants out.

-Softness. This team has almost zero toughness. 

-Outside of JJ and OO to some degree, this team really lacks versatility. The athleticism is not that great either.

-Bench depth isn't good. 

I suspect the team wants to keep Trae, JJ and OO...So...

Trae

?????

JJ

OO

????

I would like to see the Hawks grab a SG with size, good defense and shooting ability. Some decent ball handling without needing to dominate the ball. One that will do much of their scoring from the outside. What is needed was a better defending and more offensive minded Kevin Huerter at SG. One that's more of a 17-19PPG player 

The center spot might be tougher.

I'm not convinced that OO is going to much better as a starter, but I doubt management agrees with me. It is what it is.

If we ignore the problems we have a 3 and 4.. then changing the 2 and looking for a bigger defensive 2 is another way to go about it.   Then I guess a guy like Grimes is your answer.   I mean, he's about 6'5 and he plays good defense.  At that point, however, you're asking Trae to carry a lot.   And you still have the major malfunction at the 3 and the 4. 

This is what we're doing...

hqdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm going to come back to your overall point in a second, but wanted to push on this specific point...

So you're saying that if Dikembe Mutombo in his prime were on our team that he wouldn't work?  A lot of people down on Clint because he's 6'10 and doesn't shoot from outside.   I don't think that's the problem.   You're right that our overall construct needs a lot of tuning.   I don't know if it's coarse tuning or fine tuning, but it's tuning.    What I can't agree with is that Clint is a problem.  I think Clint solves way more problems than he causes.   He misses the occasional bunny.. but he has one of the highest FG% and True FG% in the league.   He is a top 10 rebounder and I think he's still top 15 in bpg.  He has even improved his FT% by a lot.   He's not an issue.  

Or major issues are 3 and 4. 

Clint is fine..but I still like to have a center that can atleast shoot 16 footers and spread the floor more..he is the only center we have.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Getting Siakam is a waste of time ... he is leaving at end of season so we are left with nothing.

For those with Rose Colored sunglasses that always seem to think players are going to sign here as free agents.  They are not.  We need to acquire players that will either grow and help us or help us right now with the intention of continuing to help us.

Well, he leaves this summer and we are left with FAcy money.   I have my whole diagram of how it can work in the other thread.  He allows us to get out of some contracts and look at picking up a FA (I think) I would have to get @JayBirdHawk to go over the nimbers...

My action plan would be let him walk and pick up Claxton and a cheap contract for Harris and trade CC.

49 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Getting Siakam is a waste of time ... he is leaving at end of season so we are left with nothing.

For those with Rose Colored sunglasses that always seem to think players are going to sign here as free agents.  They are not.  We need to acquire players that will either grow and help us or help us right now with the intention of continuing to help us.

It all depends on what Siakam places as a priority.

Hawks can offer him the 5th year, and a hell of a lot more money, due to us having his Bird Rights.

On the Hawks, he's the undisputed 2nd option on the team, with ample opportunity to be the 1st option at times.

If he goes to Philly, he's playing 3rd fiddle to Embiid and Maxey

If he goes to Sacramento, he's playing 3rd fiddle to Fox and Sabonis

If he goes to Dallas, he's playing 3rd fiddle to Luka and Kyrie

He COULD stay in Toronto, but it looks like he'd be at minimum 2nd fiddle there too, if not 3rd behind RJ Barrett.

Only the Hawks could give him a lot of floor usage, in order for him to put up big numbers.

So it depends on what he wants.  We might be the only team that will give him that Max deal.  But he has to commit to us to get it.  We won't have a chance to give him that if he leaves.

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

I feel like it doesn't need to be said but I will say it now:

the team is going to take the best offer for Murray or any other Hawk. We may not like the return as fans but they are not taking pennies on the dollar or doing a fire sale of players. There's real bidding between teams for our players. 

Wouldn't a bidding war suggest that the deal won't happen until the trade deadline?  That way they can extract maximum value for any player traded?  

That would kind of go against the thought that we would trade DJM as soon as he's allowed to be traded. 

• Like 1