• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Rockets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

That's just constant... not just end of the game.   We run a motion offense.  In the first half, we move and dominate.   Then we just get lax.

I think it's the 'prevent offense' where we are running time off the clock. Not a fan since it slows our pace and we become stagnant. If we do this we need to score efficiency and not turn the ball over. We struggle against the trap because the players don't move - too much standing around. Needs work.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it's the 'prevent offense' where we are running time off the clock. Not a fan since it slows our pace and we become stagnant. If we do this we need to score efficiency and not turn the ball over. We struggle against the trap because the players don't move - too much standing around. Needs work.

Yeah.  the problem is that we're not really built to go away from the motion.   That's what I mean when I talk about us falling back into old habits.   We see the motion works.  We move, we score.  Then we come out and try to be a Inside out team.  We're not that.  I love Clint but he's not a strong enough inside scorer for us to be an inside out team.  Moreover, we overrely on the three in my opinion.   It is in those times that I would like to see us go back to trying to crush the inside.  The DJ midrangers.  The Dre Drives.   The Bogi moving with and without the ball.   It kills a team when you have been beating the bejesus out of them and then you come back with fundamental scoring.   It's not pretty but it's effective.  I watched the Spurs do it for years.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

The last time a Hawk was this dominant for a month was when Nique was here. It is mind boggling how great Trae has been over the last month. 

I was thinking about Trae's chances of being player of the Week...  But if he's not.. I guess that's OK... He may not get the video game numbers that Giannis or Randle can get. 

The real question is.. Is he the best PG playing for the month of December?

• Like 3

Why do we pull Bogie for Bey late in the games?

My thinking is, Bey is the strongest Hawk on the entire roster.  He just doesn't get run over.  Less than any other Hawk.  Late in the 4th quarter most NBA teams revert to bully ball.  Which Hawk do you want to face the bully?  My answer, Bey....

:smug:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Why do we pull Bogie for Bey late in the games?

My thinking is, Bey is the strongest Hawk on the entire roster.  He just doesn't get run over.  Less than any other Hawk.  Late in the 4th quarter most NBA teams revert to bully ball.  Which Hawk do you want to face the bully?  My answer, Bey....

:smug:

I like Bey as a body.  I like him mid and in and battling at the rim.  Although he hit that 3 at the end…and found his shot again in the DET game…he still makes me nervous when he squares up from deep.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marvin24Williams said:

The usual suspects with a negative plus minus

Hunter

Murray

Capela

Don't believe them when people dismiss +/-.

Plus/Minus tells a story from game to game, but most important, about lineup groupings.

This particular grouping has been ( - ) for the year.

What's more disturbing though, is that the Trae - Murray - Hunter grouping has been an even more ( - ) on the year.

Those 3 in particular, must find a way to mesh with each other on the court.

image.thumb.png.f07dccbcbf68c1a16ee83d41eae41f0c.png

Not a surprise that one of our best 3-man lineups sees Trae surrounded by 2 confident 3 point shooters.  This makes Trae most lethal with the passing, when he's leading the 2nd unit.

image.thumb.png.ef54290ea4add62502efa4b9ac2f36a6.png

Understanding numbers and how analytics tell a story, is a great thing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Shouldn't this be an ejection?  And a fine.

If it was reversed, and that was Trae, it would have been a flagrant 2 and he would’ve been gone.  

Also seems like the refs are passing around a memo to each other saying to give him the hard way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's why +/- is limited. CC was a monster in the first half. Then he played most of the 3rd quarter when we lost the lead and that was on everyone. OO had a monster 4th and finished the game.

+/- is a player/team lineup metric.

Capela was ( -14 ) in his last 2 times on the floor last night.  Hawks closed the 2nd quarter poorly, then began the 3rd quarter poorly.

So although he may have done some good things in that 2nd quarter, his presence on the floor in the 3rd quarter killed him.

Meanwhile, Okongwu was ( +9 ) in the 4th quarter alone, and a big reason why we made that run.   I'm glad that Quin finally kept a group in a game that was working, and gave them extended minutes.

image.thumb.png.c2636328369e64ac368c8d383cce2657.png

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

The same is true with DJ.  DJ was cooking in the first half.  With Hot Grease.  +/- tells the wrong story. 

That is why you don't trust +/-.  It doesn't tell you the truth. 

This is why I only care about large volume +\- and not about single game numbers.  It is a stat with a lot of noise and needs to be in context and with a large sample to be useful, imo.  But it does offer some insights with that context.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae's post game presser on things they need to do better..........."when I get trapped, they've gotta come to the ball so there isn't such a big gap".

After about the 6th time down the floor late in the 4th…turnover, miss, shot clock, etc…I kept telling myself, Quinn is going to put in some ball handlers any second now…………..yep……..annnnny second here.  

Edited by Chrimturn
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, AHF said:

@Spud2nique nothing says "video game" like the idea that Bogi scores 46 points, Trae gets 40 assists (and 5 steals), and OO gets 24 rebounds (and 4 blocks) all in the same game.  But I definitely want to be watching if the Hawks pull that off!

😂 First, the Hawks Mookie dime record of 23 went down, then Scotty Skiles 33 year old 30 dimes DOOOOWNED!!

@Sothron I think I got this level down, but seriously when you move up a level the computer won’t let you win. I’m stuck in between a level that I seem to have graduated from but the next one is mission impossible. 😞 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

@Spud2nique turned down the difficulty and is comp stomping now (and actually hitting 3s)

😂 I definitely got the 3 pointer down, I was having trouble with timing or something. I swear though, try all star level, I’m not sure what you are supposed to do to win on that level? 😂 

• Haha 1

Ever since Trae has made it a point to "shoot the Bomb", his 3 point shooting has skyrocketed.  The best thing is that, unlike in previous years, these shots are being assisted at a very high rate.  This means that Trae is catching and shooting, or just taking one dribble on a lot of these attempts.

image.thumb.png.eb25ca35b59654ef73f1fdf1f2c0a104.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is why I only care about large volume +\- and not about single game numbers.  It is a stat with a lot of noise and needs to be in context and with a large sample to be useful, imo.  But it does offer some insights with that context.

The single game +/- tells a cumulative story though.

You can see exactly what happens in a game when a certain person, or personnel groupings, are on the floor together.

It has a lot more value than people give it credit for.