• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And as I've told all of you going on 2 years now, Trae shoots BETTER on 30+ threes, than he shoots from 3 overall.  Why?  Because he shoots his deep 3s in rhythm and is more set when he shoots that shot.  A lot of his closer 3s are rushed or even the tougher step back 3s.

It's crazy that everyone LOVES when Lillard takes the deep 3, but sees the deep 3 from Trae as one of the weakest parts of his game.

Men lie. Women lie. But the numbers don't lie.  Even if you don't like it.

https://nbacourtoptix.nba.com/en/metrics/shooting

image.thumb.png.b72b70f9f0a2ea74b8521f07f79a350e.png

Not to mention he catches the defense off guard and is usually wide open from there. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And as I've told all of you going on 2 years now, Trae shoots BETTER on 30+ threes, than he shoots from 3 overall.  Why?  Because he shoots his deep 3s in rhythm and is more set when he shoots that shot.  A lot of his closer 3s are rushed or even the tougher step back 3s.

It's crazy that everyone LOVES when Lillard takes the deep 3, but sees the deep 3 from Trae as one of the weakest parts of his game.

Men lie. Women lie. But the numbers don't lie.  Even if you don't like it.

https://nbacourtoptix.nba.com/en/metrics/shooting

image.thumb.png.b72b70f9f0a2ea74b8521f07f79a350e.png

The only pushback I'll give is that I don't think this is a particularly good shot for any of these people.  Trae shooting 34.8% is pretty great give the distance but Trae needs to shoot better than that from 3pt range overall to be a real contributor from that distance.  The TS% on those attempts is .522% which is pretty bad.  If you are also taking those shots early in the clock before you have run the offense (which should be generating scoring opportunities at a much higher efficiency than .522% TS%) than you are foregoing better offense for worse shot.

The real question is what taking this shot opens up for Trae and for other players.  If it leads to guards coming out farther on him which gives him more space to drive and more space for the rest of the team, etc. and ultimately leads to other good shots than it may be worth it.  You likewise need to figure in the outcomes from the misses (i.e., does that lead to fast break chances for opponents when they catch the rebound?  do the bounces off those long shots lead to more offensive rebounds for the Hawks?, etc.)

But in isolation, that isn't a good shot for Dame, Trae, Steph, or any of these guys.

3 hours ago, Wretch said:

Not to mention he catches the defense off guard and is usually wide open from there. 

Yeah. It's a rhythm shot for him.  I despised that shot in his rookie year, because it seemed as if he wasn't making any of them.  But the more I watched him, the more I understood why he needed to take that shot. 

(1) Because he needs space to get off his 3-ball, because he's not a rise up jumpshooter like Dame is.

(2) It's a confidence booster for him that seems to get his entire game going

I understand why people hate the shot.  Only a few people in the world can even make it with any sort of consistency. But it's actually a good shot for him.  The biggest issue for me is WHEN should he take the shot.  He'll take it at any time in the game, even when getting an easier 2 would be the best shot for that particular possession.

Then again, that bomb he made in Boston during the playoffs was a shot that very few expected, mainly because we were down by 1.  But he took the shot in which he'd be the most open. And that was the bomb.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yeah. It's a rhythm shot for him.  I despised that shot in his rookie year, because it seemed as if he wasn't making any of them.  But the more I watched him, the more I understood why he needed to take that shot. 

(1) Because he needs space to get off his 3-ball, because he's not a rise up jumpshooter like Dame is.

(2) It's a confidence booster for him that seems to get his entire game going

I understand why people hate the shot.  Only a few people in the world can even make it with any sort of consistency. But it's actually a good shot for him.  The biggest issue for me is WHEN should he take the shot.  He'll take it at any time in the game, even when getting an easier 2 would be the best shot for that particular possession.

Then again, that bomb he made in Boston during the playoffs was a shot that very few expected, mainly because we were down by 1.  But he took the shot in which he'd be the most open. And that was the bomb.

I agree.  It's all about the timing/circumstance.  Some of these are STEP BACK 3's with a hand in his face.  Obviously we need to look for better shots when we can, but if he can get that shot wide open I'm honestly ok.  More confident than a step back AT the 3pt line.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Trae Young on Luka Doncic comparisons: 'Once I win a championship, it'll even open up more eyes to what I've really done'

i_46_c4_b1_trae-young.png?w=190

Despite all the not-so-pleasing talks surrounding him and the comparisons with Doncic, Young emphasized that he’s not bothered by it. He also shared that while the narratives surrounding him and Luka are not good, they actually have a good relationship. “I don’t even stress over it no more. I know the real ones get it. I feel like for me, once I win a championship, it’ll even open up more eyes to what I’ve really done. Especially to some of my peers that I’m compared with,” Young explained. “To be honest with you, I have no hate towards nobody, especially Luka. We talk all the time. We got a lot of love for each other, a lot of respect for each other. There’s different agendas, and the way people look at certain people is different. To be honest, I don’t get caught up into it.”

On 6/27/2023 at 7:29 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

If Trae was a Celtic he would be ranked 3rd in the league overall by Bill Simmons the moron.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Here's his interview with Draymond.  His best interview ever, to be honest.  Draymond is very good in this element.  Outside of Taylor Rooks, he's maybe the best interviewer in the game right now.

That was a great listen!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Here's his interview with Draymond.  His best interview ever, to be honest.  Draymond is very good in this element.  Outside of Taylor Rooks, he's maybe the best interviewer in the game right now.

Forget KAT. Forget Siakam. Hawks trading for Draymond confirmed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Predicting the Next Wave of NBA Stars to Request a Trade

1. Luka Dončić, Dallas Mavericks

2. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers

3. Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls

4. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves

5. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

zgwkeu5msgtvcniq9x5b.jpg
Adam Hagy/NBAE via Getty Images

Trade winds have swirled in close proximity to Trae Young for a while now.

Last December, rival executives wondered aloud whether the prolific point guard would be "the next player on a rookie max extension to request a trade if the team doesn't make inroads come postseason time," per B/R's Chris Haynes. Then in April, The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor reported that the Atlanta Hawks front office had been given the green light "to do whatever it wants with the roster," including trading Young.

Atlanta's second consecutive first-round exit couldn't have done anything to quiet any trade talks. The Hawks have had trouble finding their footing since their Eastern Conference Finals breakthrough in 2021, and that's rarely a situation that lends itself to stability.

Atlanta is attempting to retool on the fly. In the last calendar year, the franchise has paid a fortune to acquire Dejounte Murray (three firsts and a first-round pick swap), changed head coaches (Nate McMillan out, Quin Snyder in) and let go of longtime rumor-mill resident John Collins for dirt cheap (Rudy Gay and a future second-rounder).

And the Hawks may not be done. They've been trying to pave a path to Pascal Siakam, but no trade hasn't happened yet. If one ever does, the cost figures to be significant, and since Siakam is on an expiring deal, it might only be for a rental.

If that's not the answer, though, what is? The Hawks have some intriguing young players, but is Young ready to wait for their development? More importantly, is he sold on Murray as his co-star? Both work best with the ball in their hands, and neither had a great shooting season in 2022-23.

Atlanta's outlook is somewhere between murky and mediocre. It takes gobs of optimism and a hearty helping of imagination to picture the Hawks crashing the championship conversation this coming season. If Atlanta has wondered whether this mix is right, it's reasonable to assume Young could be having the same thoughts.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10082996-predicting-the-next-wave-of-nba-stars-to-request-a-trade

• Haha 3