• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

• Moderators
On 4/11/2023 at 10:34 AM, shakes said:

I'm gonna start referring to you two as KG2Spud since you're essentially Siamese twins around here.

Also dude that's not the preferred nomenclature.  Conjoined twins please.

And that's not the issue!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I dont disagree with what you're saying but I think this way of thinking is wrong.  Not a shot at you because the whole basketball world probably agrees with you.  I just hate the way "analytics" makes people think nowadays.

Players can't worry about analytics while playing.  They have to do what they have to do to try and win.  There are times when a  "bad/inefficient" shot is the only shot available in a possession.  There are times when the other 4 dudes on the floor got the deer/headlights look.  We saw one time, in particular, where we literally didn't have a play ready for the situation we were in.  No one knows how many other times that was the case as we were running offense(sic).  But all that gets recorded, from an analytic standpoint, is that the player made an "inefficient" result essentially.

There's no way for "analytics" to fully capture what's going on yet the basketball world has chosen to anoint these made up numbers to tell them what to think.

I'm not saying they're useless, I'm saying they're a tool.  At this point, the tool has become like AI that's taken over the world.

(not)Sorry for the rant.

I generally agree with your sentiment.  Trae needs to take the shots because the team has not evidenced an ability to win consistently without him being the guy - and for him part of being the guy is the gravity that volume creates.

To me Trae's inefficiency and ability to win in the playoffs is a product of the teams roster construction (combination of shot-creation, spacing and defense) and how other teams play defense against the Hawks and Trae.  

Teams with strong defenses seem willing on most nights to trade shots with the Hawks with the idea being they will out efficiency the Hawks (in part because the Hawks defense is not the effective).  They also dare anyone other than Trae to beat them.  That strategy, as we have seen, does not work when the Hawks are dropping shots but in a 7 game series teams are expecting this to work more often then not.

The Hawks need to solve those issues if they want to advance in the playoffs.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I dont disagree with what you're saying but I think this way of thinking is wrong.  Not a shot at you because the whole basketball world probably agrees with you.  I just hate the way "analytics" makes people think nowadays.

Players can't worry about analytics while playing.  They have to do what they have to do to try and win.  There are times when a  "bad/inefficient" shot is the only shot available in a possession.  There are times when the other 4 dudes on the floor got the deer/headlights look.  We saw one time, in particular, where we literally didn't have a play ready for the situation we were in.  No one knows how many other times that was the case as we were running offense(sic).  But all that gets recorded, from an analytic standpoint, is that the player made an "inefficient" result essentially.

There's no way for "analytics" to fully capture what's going on yet the basketball world has chosen to anoint these made up numbers to tell them what to think.

I'm not saying they're useless, I'm saying they're a tool.  At this point, the tool has become like AI that's taken over the world.

(not)Sorry for the rant.

Game A:  11-20 (4-7) for 30 pts on 20 shots  (55% FG / 57% 3pt)

Game B:  14-33 (5-13) for 38 pts on 33 shots (42% FG / 39% 3pt)

Both from Trae.  In the playoffs. Game A they lost. Game B they won.  Game B is the better game.  Dems just the fax.

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We've seen countless examples of the fact that when Trae is the focal point of the offense and the main distributor we can do great things.  That one Miami series they just dared everyone else to beat them and no one could do it.  We overcorrected though.  We don't need 2 point guards.  You don't need 2 point guards when you have the best one in the league already.  You just need guys who can shoot or even better pass, dribble, shoot so you can't double and triple Trae. 

Trae plus shooters will give you all the offense you could ever need to win a game.  The issue is finding the shooters that also play defense at a level that can make up for Trae's deficiencies on that end.  I heard Glen Willis talk about the number 1 need for this team - if they do nothing else this offseason - is finding a POA defender for the backcourt.  I'm starting to agree with that.  Maybe they can try to trade Clint for that guy and live with the shooters they have?  

Bogi: 40.6% on 6.7 att per game

Bey: 40.0% on 5.0 att per game

AJ: 39.0% on 2.8 att per game

Dre: 35.0% on 4.3 att per game

DJM: 34.5% on 3.1 att per game

JC:  29.2% on 3.4 att per game (but last 3 seasons he was 38.8% on 3.4 att per game

Those numbers aren't horrible and are plenty good enough to build an effective offense.  They just have to be willing to shoot when open and be confident to make their shots.  And doing so should help Trae get more open shots as well which will hopefully get him back up to something respectable.  

This year:  33.5% on 6.3 att per game

Prev 3 years: 36.4% on 7.9 att per game

They may not lead the NBA in 3pt shooting but if they have 7 rotation players that can shoot between 35% -40% on decent volume, they will be fine offensively.  

They just need to address the POA defense.  That HAS to be better than this year.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 4

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Trae plus shooters will give you all the offense you could ever need to win a game.  The issue is finding the shooters that also play defense at a level that can make up for Trae's deficiencies on that end.  I heard Glen Willis talk about the number 1 need for this team - if they do nothing else this offseason - is finding a POA defender for the backcourt.  I'm starting to agree with that.  Maybe they can try to trade Clint for that guy and live with the shooters they have?  

Bogi: 40.6% on 6.7 att per game

Bey: 40.0% on 5.0 att per game

AJ: 39.0% on 2.8 att per game

Dre: 35.0% on 4.3 att per game

DJM: 34.5% on 3.1 att per game

JC:  29.2% on 3.4 att per game (but last 3 seasons he was 38.8% on 3.4 att per game

Those numbers aren't horrible and are plenty good enough to build an effective offense.  They just have to be willing to shoot when open and be confident to make their shots.  And doing so should help Trae get more open shots as well which will hopefully get him back up to something respectable.  

This year:  33.5% on 6.3 att per game

Prev 3 years: 36.4% on 7.9 att per game

They may not lead the NBA in 3pt shooting but if they have 7 rotation players that can shoot between 35% -40% on decent volume, they will be fine offensively.  

They just need to address the POA defense.  That HAS to be better than this year.  

Agree and as you pointed out on that Hawks list there is only one plus defender there. 

I really want an honest explanation for this…why is Trae young hated so much by the nba media? Like obviously I had a feeling he wouldn’t make all nba this year but they made all kinds of exceptions last year for him to make 3rd team…it’s so weird. The media has had this hate for him for years. Can anyone explain this? Like he’s the only player who’s actively hated like this

• Like 1
  • Sad 1