• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: heat at Hawks

lethalweapon3

When Clint is available think Bruno will be ok backing up JC at power forward for up to fifteen minutes or so. Not thinking he is 100% yet. Bam has gotten really, really good this year and he has always been physical anyway. Matchups will be better for us when Clint can give us even some limited minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I gotta say...Bruno looked like he forgot how to play basketball over

the break. C'mon son - get it together!

There was one possession the big boys Bruno and Bam were bumping each other all the way down so I yelled....

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!!!!!!

Im pretty sure all my neighbors hate me.

• Haha 2

.... and furthermore ...

You know what else I can't stand.  This idea that Bam is a point-whatever 'cause he brings the ball up all the time.  Clearly a talented player, but wake me up when someone actually puts a loose press on or somebody picks him up past halfcourt.  Same with Jokic.  That crap is cute when there's no pressure.

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

.... and furthermore ...

You know what else I can't stand.  This idea that Bam is a point-whatever 'cause he brings the ball up all the time.  Clearly a talented player, but wake me up when someone actually puts a loose press on or somebody picks him up past halfcourt.  Same with Jokic.  That crap is cute when there's no pressure.

They aren't point guards.  Big men with some valuable skills usually associated with points.  Nobody should confuse the two.  But it really isn't important from a roster construction that either guy fill the roll to beat a press or extended pressure.  They don't need to do that to have a very positive impact on their team's offense.

This seems like more of a "media shorthand" issue than an issue with their games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

.... and furthermore ...

I'd like to see Cam or Hunter apply some pressure. Hopefully next season.:spiteful:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thomas said:

When Clint is available think Bruno will be ok backing up JC at power forward for up to fifteen minutes or so. Not thinking he is 100% yet. Bam has gotten really, really good this year and he has always been physical anyway. Matchups will be better for us when Clint can give us even some limited minutes. 

Skal gonna get those mins at PF when he gets healthy. Bruno needs mins in the G League. His BBIQ is way too low. Doesn't roll had to the rim. Has he ever caught an alley? Slow off his feet to jump. He needs to get his mind up to NBA speed. Nothing wrong with developing him there 

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I gotta say...Bruno looked like he forgot how to play basketball over the break. C'mon son - get it together!

There's a distinct difference between hi-top fade Bruno

Image result for bruno fernando atlanta

. . and platted up Bruno

While Hi-top Bruno isn't bad, he's a little inconsistent.   Platted Bruno, on the other hand, looked smaller, but sleeker and more skilled.

The thing with Fernando is this.  He needs to play, and be able to play through his mistakes, just like how Cam and Deandre played through their rough patches. 

A lot of people are in love with Dedmon right now, but don't look at his offensive stats.  Bruno, from a per 36 standpoint, is a tick above Dedmon.  And Dedmon's offensive BPM is the worst on the team The obvious difference between the two ( and especially between Jones ), is Dedmon's defensive impact, which is the best Defensive BPM on the team.

Here's a hot take. 

Come the start of next season, don't be surprised if Bruno is the 1st big off the bench ahead of Dedmon.  Skill wise, Bruno still has more offensive skill than Dedmon and has the potential to be a better defensive player, with the way he can laterally move.  Next summer will make or break him as a player.  If he comes back with an improved outside shot, Dedmon won't be the 6th man, he'll be the 10th man.  And Bruno should get his 20 min/game to do work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There's a distinct difference between hi-top fade Bruno

. . and platted up Bruno

While Hi-top Bruno isn't bad, he's a little inconsistent.   Platted Bruno, on the other hand, looked smaller, but sleeker and more skilled.

The thing with Fernando is this.  He needs to play, and be able to play through his mistakes, just like how Cam and Deandre played through their rough patches. 

A lot of people are in love with Dedmon right now, but don't look at his offensive stats.  Bruno, from a per 36 standpoint, is a tick above Dedmon.  And Dedmon's offensive BPM is the worst on the team The obvious difference between the two ( and especially between Jones ), is Dedmon's defensive impact, which is the best Defensive BPM on the team.

Here's a hot take. 

Come the start of next season, don't be surprised if Bruno is the 1st big off the bench ahead of Dedmon.  Skill wise, Bruno still has more offensive skill than Dedmon and has the potential to be a better defensive player, with the way he can laterally move.  Next summer will make or break him as a player.  If he comes back with an improved outside shot, Dedmon won't be the 6th man, he'll be the 10th man.  And Bruno should get his 20 min/game to do work.

Naw. It's one thing to make this statement and we are talking Jones and to a lesser degree Len but not Dedmon. He looks superior to Bruno and to be frank, he is. While I like him to continuing getting mins, College Park should be his home for the next year and a half when Capela is back. Year 3, I want to see him balling as the backup to Capela. I don't care about metrics when Dedmon is good when he's a Hawk. 

I can't believe you even wrote this. There is literally a popl of 2 who would like to see Dedmon on the bench for Bruno right now. Most of us fans don't enjoy seeing Bruno get bigger mins right now and all of us for the most part would rather see Dedmon. It's not even close. 

Edited by NBASupes

When we traded for Dedmon - He had a -.6 WAR. One of the worst in the NBA for a vet and the worse than Treveon Graham or Jeff Teague who both had negatives when we traded for them. For example, both Len and Parker have positive WARs. Dedmon had one of the worst offensive RAPTORs in the NBA. For his mins and higher, the worst period! 

Since he's been a Hawk, his offensive Raptor has improved, not by much but it has improved. His defensive Raptor has massively improved and his WAR is a .2. That's +.8 improvement. Please note, Dedmon has only played in 4 GAMES!!!! If he had a +.2 each game for 82 games. His WAR would be a +16.4. To say Dedmon hasn't been massive for us is FOOLISHNESS and to insist that Bruno should get those minutes should be a bannable offense. @TheNorthCydeRises, I know you love Bruno, hell, I was high on him too in the draft and still is but come on son, really? 

Edited by NBASupes

11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The next level for them, is for all 3 of these guys to put up these kinds of numbers at the same time, more often.

As great as last night's win was, the elephant in the room is that Trae, once again, had to have a MONSTER GAME, in order for the Hawks to pull out a victory.  I pointed this out before the All-Star break, when people on here were talking about Trae's "empty stats" and playing "hero ball".  We needed every bit of that 50 point performance from him.

The Hawks are 9 - 6 when Trae scores 38 points or more.   And they're 11 - 7 when Trae makes 5 or more threes.  

Trae's ability to make 3 pointers, specifically the deep ones, opens up the entire court for everyone else. It especially helps Reddish and Hunter, because it either gives them a ton of open looks on the perimeter, or it enables them to go one on one and try to take their man ( or a big ) off the dribble.

When teams start to trap Trae again, his teammates must be able to make them pay for doing it.  So far this season, Trae's "hero ball" has been necessary in order for the Hawks to win.

The rebounding and turnovers are still hurting us. The Heat had 15 offensive rebounds and we had 16 turnovers. That is at least double the number of offensive rebounds we should be giving up.

Edited by Buzzard

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Naw. It's one thing to make this statement and we are talking Jones and to a lesser degree Len but not Dedmon. He looks superior to Bruno and to be frank, he is. While I like him to continuing getting mins, College Park should be his home for the next year and a half when Capela is back. Year 3, I want to see him balling as the backup to Capela. I don't care about metrics when Dedmon is good when he's a Hawk. 

I can't believe you even wrote this. There is literally a popl of 2 who would like to see Dedmon on the bench for Bruno right now. Most of us fans don't enjoy seeing Bruno get bigger mins right now and all of us for the most part would rather see Dedmon. It's not even close. 

I didn't say bench Dedmon right now for Bruno.   But next year, Bruno will be ahead of Dedmon. 

LP should still be playing big lineups, until Hunter can physically prove that he can handle playing the 4, and Collins can handle playing the 5.  Dedmon helps defensively this year, so of course he should be ahead of Bruno.

It'll flip next season.