• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

As we await the Hawks final regular season's game Sunday night, the Atlanta Dream, our own WNBA team, opens their regular season tonight at College Park.  That's where our G League will play when things return to somewhat normal.

It's been so long since our Hawks have been in the playoffs.  And, with only one game remaining, we don't even know who or where we will be playing.  Whoever and wherever, it exciting!

GO ATLANTA !!!!!!!!!!

:sun:

• Like 3

Had not noticed until today, but the Wizards have a realistic chance at the #7 seed.  They play Cleveland next and Charlotte plays NYK. 

A win against Cleveland followed by a Charlotte loss puts them at a tie in the standings with Charlotte.  Then their season finale is at home vs Charlotte. 

They can pass Charlotte in the season finale for the #8 seed as long as the Pacers lose to the Lakers on Saturday. 

Then the Wizards play Boston for the #7 seed.   

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Had not noticed until today, but the Wizards have a realistic chance at the #7 seed.  They play Cleveland next and Charlotte plays NYK. 

A win against Cleveland followed by a Charlotte loss puts them at a tie in the standings with Charlotte.  Then their season finale is at home vs Charlotte. 

They can pass Charlotte in the season finale for the #8 seed as long as the Pacers lose to the Lakers on Saturday. 

Then the Wizards play Boston for the #7 seed.   

Would love to see Wizards and Boston playing for the 7 seed.   Go Wiz!

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Would love to see Boston lose their way out of the play in tournament.  Do you think that would get Stephens and Ainge fired?

I don't. but Ainge probably should be soon mainly because i think teams don't want to trade with him.  But i have no real knowledge to base it on.  Stephens doesn't deserve to be fired imo.  He's pretty good but that roster is way overrated.

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't. but Ainge probably should be soon mainly because i think teams don't want to trade with him.  But i have no real knowledge to base it on.  Stephens doesn't deserve to be fired imo.  He's pretty good but that roster is way overrated.

I think an argument could be made that both deserve to be fired but, if I understand the dynamic there, neither will be.  I think BOS's problem is strAinge and Stevens are too buddy-buddy with the owner.

For Stevens, it seems clear he's lost the team to some degree.  Once that happens, it's tough to get it back.

For strAinge, the lack of talented depth on that team is criminal considering the supposed 'warchest' of assets he had to work with over the recent years.  Sure they 'hit' on Smart, Brown and Tatum but they've had a plethora of picks including lotto picks and a large percentage of those guys aren't even in the league.

A large portion of their current bench, including guys in the rotation, are not NBA-caliber players and don't appear to be developing at any large rate.  That's inexcusable and also falls on Stevens.  I see something in Nesmith and, to a lesser degree, Pritchard.  Who else on that team would you take?

Ojuleye, Williams, Langford, Fall, Kornet, Edwards, Waters - you can make a decent enough case that only Kornet could land a job on another roster and he's not great shakes.

On top of that, the Theis trade signified them punting on the season at the deadline which is egregious considering what their expectations were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

On top of that, the Theis trade signified them punting on the season at the deadline which is egregious considering what their expectations were.

That's what did it for me.  They lost Theis and ended up cutting Mo Wagner. Their fanbase thought it was smart because Williams is emerging and Theis was expiring, but, they got much worse in the process. An already thin roster came out of the deadline with Evan Fournier and a developmental big, and sent out experienced vets in Teague and Theis. And they did this because they needed more shot creation from the wing after letting Hayward walk. 

Its been a disastrous offseason and trade deadline from their front office, and they really botched  building around their young core.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Would love to see Boston lose their way out of the play in tournament.  Do you think that would get Stephens and Ainge fired?

Not me.  I want them in the 8 seed vs Philly.  I think they'd get embarrassed and then still not have any chance in the lotto to get a high pick.  IF the greenies are bounced from the playoffs, I'd bet money they end up with a top 3 pick in the "random lottery".  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Scalabrine stays slighting Trae at every opportunity.  I remember him saying he's just not that good in his second year.  Then Trae went and destroyed Boston and he changed it to, yeah, he's a great offensive player, but you know that defense.  Now it's he's a bad teammate. 

Keep grasping at straws Scals.

That screeching sound is the goal posts continuously moving.  Give him a break though.  He's just upset that his Seeeees took three swings at trying to find another Trae Young and have come up snake eyes so far.

Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters, and the Pritchard kid are all homeless man's Trae Youngs.

The only thing cuter than his Trae jealousy are the Nix fans that hate the way Trae plays but are all gaga over the Quickley kid ... who's another poor a** man's Trae.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, kg01 said:

That screeching sound is the goal posts continuously moving.  Give him a break though.  He's just upset that his Seeeees took three swings at trying to find another Trae Young and have come up snake eyes so far.

Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters, and the Pritchard kid are all homeless man's Trae Youngs.

The only thing cuter than his Trae jealousy are the Nix fans that hate the way Trae plays but are all gaga over the Quickley kid ... who's another poor a** man's Trae.

I've been really surprised with how well Quickly has played.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Scalabrine stays slighting Trae at every opportunity.  I remember him saying he's just not that good in his second year.  Then Trae went and destroyed Boston and he changed it to, yeah, he's a great offensive player, but you know that defense.  Now it's he's a bad teammate. 

Keep grasping at straws Scals.

I listen to NBA Radio, Scala is typical Boston. Hating on Trae, being a bunch of pussies, etc. While we got rick kamla who loves Trae with AD. I like them a lot better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Scalabrine said they jettisoned Theis to minimize luxury tax, not because of confidence in Williams, which makes it even more egregious.

Want to hear something even more blood-boiling?  Scalabrine was discussing Hawks and Isola was trying to explain how dangerous Trae is, etc(in a good way).  Scalabrine explains that he's hearing some bad things about Trae as a teammate - IOW a regurgitation of the stuff that came out last year via "sources" aka Evan Turner.

Wanna guess who probably fed Scalabrine that outdated nonsense?  Guess what organization Turner now works(sic) for?  Evan Turner is trassh, man.  Complete trassh.

Turner didn't like Trae. He was sour grapes from the start. Thanks a lot Baze.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I listen to NBA Radio, Scala is typical Boston. Hating on Trae, being a bunch of pussies, etc. While we got rick kamla who loves Trae with AD. I like them a lot better. 

Kamla is actually a legit NBA fan. Most local sports talk radio guys literally know nothing about the NBA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I love Rick being on national Radio giving the Hawks attention.  The first three shows many not bring up the Hawks, but Rick finds a way to give the Hawks some airtime in a positive light. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Turner is total garbage.  I knew he was a garbage player but the egregious level of unprofessionalism that came with him fell even below my low bar for him.  The only team that didn't just burn money with him was the Celtics.  They deserve each other.  

The is the one mark against Travis...trading for this punch face creep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

Trae Young is averaging 33 points and nine assists over his last three games. The Hawks have won five of their last six and clinched a top-six seed on Wednesday. Atlanta is no joke. Since Nate McMillan took over for Lloyd Pierce on March 2, the Hawks are plus-4.9 per 100 possessions in Young's minutes, the exact same mark as the Mavs in Luka Doncic's minutes and the Nuggets in Nikola Jokic's minutes. 

Young still isn't a consistent 3-point shooter. He's six for his last 30 from deep and is shooting under 35 percent for the season. But he's reined in his attempts, from 9.5 per game last season to 6.4 this season, and has particularly curbed his early shot-clock bombs. Young is a master at getting into the paint. His floater is basically indefensible. He has the annoyingly effective knack for getting to the free-throw line, where he's made 40 straight and 99 of his last 102 attempts. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-star-power-index-bradley-beals-twitter-tirade-one-for-the-ages-trae-young-has-hawks-humming/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1