• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Bulls -- At Long Last, The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Lots of Twitter love going out for the rookie, I see.

And Kong can't get on the floor fast enough for me, so that those of us who were all-in on Haliburton can feel some reassurance.

Yea, as much as I wanted Hali & he will be a winning player for them for years to come. Barring a trade (Huerter), he wouldn't see the floor. Where I previously thought this pick was a luxury it really is a need because we don't have a player like Onyeka. Having a big who can guard both the paint & perimeter will be invaluable to this team, not to mention his offensive polish. Great situation to learn under Capela as well, Schlenk hit a homerun IMO.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Carmine said:

Yea, as much as I wanted Hali & he will be a winning player for them for years to come. Barring a trade (Huerter), he wouldn't see the floor. Where I previously thought this pick was a luxury it really is a need because we don't have a player like Onyeka. Having a big who can guard both the paint & perimeter will be invaluable to this team, not to mention his offensive polish. Great situation to learn under Capela as well, Schlenk hit a homerun IMO.

It is going to be interesting to see how Gwu develops but more importantly how quickly. Particularly his shooting. Per Kirschner latest:

I thought their interior defense with Clint Capela out with Achilles soreness was weak, and if it wasn’t for the Bulls blowing numerous easy looks, this could have been a different game. The Hawks started Gallinari at the five and Collins at the four. The offense that pairing presents is the equivalent of pointing a flamethrower at an open gas tank. The spacing on the floor is most ideal when a five can shoot the way Gallinari can. It’s also the reason Capela’s starting role likely will be overtaken if first-round pick Onyeka Okongwu can eventually space the floor. We’re not there yet, but a spacing five who can defend at a high level is the perfect center for a team built around Young.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If @AHF doesn't put an end to these ignorant comments I will. 

No call for personal shots here.  Peo is on this board because he wants to see the team succeed.  We are all hardcore fans here so let’s remember that even if someone doesn’t have a positive outlook on an individual player, coach or GM.

Don’t use Hawks victories or losses to go after each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

No call for personal shots here.  Peo is on this board because he wants to see the team succeed.  We are all hardcore fans here so let’s remember that even if someone doesn’t have a positive outlook on an individual player, coach or GM.

Don’t use Hawks victories or losses to go after each other.

Thank you

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It is going to be interesting to see how Gwu develops but more importantly how quickly. Particularly his shooting. Per Kirschner latest:

Very excited to see this. Schlenk loves his shooters & we know he aint taking a Jaxson Hayes redux at #6.

36 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Non shooting bigs is not where the game is at. Capela is a high level role player for us, which is fine. There are nights when we will need him very much, depending on the match up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Thank you

Come on, peo.

Anyways, let's discuss something we can all agree on.  Man do the bulls look bad.  What's their plan?

Lauri and WCJr look terrible, for the most part.  Lavine is simply not a winning player.  Coby has an ill-defined role, to put it mildly.

Williams looked pretty good, not great.

Like, what are they?  I read folks suggesting the Bulls were in the mix with the Hawks, wizards, etc for a playoff spot.  How?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Non shooting bigs is not where the game is at. Capela is a high level role player for us, which is fine. There are nights when we will need him very much, depending on the match up.

That's what being deep is. We don't have to be married to a particular lineup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carmine said:

Based on rookie play so far, I still think we have the chance to have the best player in the class.................

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, terrell said:

Based on rookie play so far, I still think we have the chance to have the best player in the class.................

Quite possibly, I was watching Wiseman on Tues. and he looked very smooth/mobile. Especially considering his lack of an offseason & no preseason games. However, he doesn't seem to have the quick twitch/agility Onyeka has & looks like a pure 5 to me. Onyeka can definitely bring a lot to the table and has more value because he can play & guard multiple positions. Kid says he looks up to Bam, if he even comes close to that they might as well hand deliver us the trophy.

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Come on, peo.

Anyways, let's discuss something we can all agree on.  Man do the bulls look bad.  What's their plan?

Lauri and WCJr look terrible, for the most part.  Lavine is simply not a winning player.  Coby has an ill-defined role, to put it mildly.

Williams looked pretty good, not great.

Like, what are they?  I read folks suggesting the Bulls were in the mix with the Hawks, wizards, etc for a playoff spot.  How?

I'm sensitive to takes like this after Trae went through the gauntlet of "empty stats",  "can't win",  "not a team/winning player".... BUT I do think that might be true for Lavine.  He doesn't really make his teammates better and it doesn't feel like he cares or tries to.  It could definitely be a coaching/development gap but this is his 7th(?) year in the league now, so I do feel like he has to take responsibility at some point.  I teeter back and forth on guys like Lavine though because some teams are just bad -- organization/coaching/drafting/talent -- and 1 guy can't change that, no matter how good they are.

I'm just happy it feels like we're coming out of the other side of that tunnel and I'm grateful.  A lot of games left but I definitely feel optimistic after that first game.  80+ in a half is insane but the defensive effort is what really makes me happy.  Trae diving for balls, getting in the pass lanes, Cam getting steals, JC stripping for a steal (recorded as a block i guess), etc.  You can tell the guys are truly much more engaged on that end of the floor, which is really encouraging.

• Like 1