• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

19 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Nah, he always barely ever missed before the injury too lol. I think he has like 8 consecutive seasons of shooting over 50% from the field and a TS% of over 64%. Still, amazing he really hasn't missed a beat.

I never doubted it. His game has never been athleticism based. All length and pure skill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cwell said:

I never doubted it. His game has never been athleticism based. All length and pure skill

Actually, at the draft combine, Durant was shockingly slow when he was timed. Also he couldn't lift 185 lbs even one time. But basketball isn't football. Strength and speed are nice, but they aren't essential. It's all about length and skill, like you said.

A win woulda been nice but wouldn't have changed the lessons from this game. Just like the first game, couldn't get any stops. IDK what you can do when KD Kyrie and Harden are playing well, because one of them is gonna be going at Trae every possession.

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I dont understand the 15 minute restriction on Gallo. We need his shooting. With Bogi out, he should be getting no less than 25 minutes a night, even 30. 

You do realize the minute restriction isn't based on how much we need him on the court, right?

If Sabonis ends up being banged up all reg. season then limited in the playoffs because they decided to push him out there in a meaningless game, then what?

• Like 3

Might be a trap game. Trae will probably go 3-19 shooting and Beal will score 50.

Just so you don't think I'm picking on you, I will say I'm also worried the WAS game might be a trap for us.

We seem to struggle (play down?) vs these rag-tag teams with a bunch of nobodies.  I don't worry about us vs the big dogs.  But vs the Charlottes, Clevelands, Orlandos, of the world?  It's a lotta ....

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47h27xx0tgo8vhdvl9s96

• Like 4

TOUGH LOSS, BUT.....

What most consider the top team in the east had to go to overtime to beat Atlanta!

Coming off an injury and not playing for so long, our center just ran out of steam in the second of a back to back game.  Strangely enough, none of our back up centers didn't get time.  What's wrong with Onyeka Okongwu?  Agent 0017 was drafted #6, was injured, healed, played a little, hasn't been seen or heard from since.  Nathan Knight appeared briefly.  Now, can't get in.  Bruno, ditto.

Hawks are still fighting injuries.  Minute restrictions on many and it shows.  

Haliburton would have been nice as a backup for Trae.  I hope Agent 0017 comes on and proves that he was worthy of being drafted instead.  We could have used some help for Capela in the 2nd game of that back to back.  

Young Hawks growing up right before our eyes.  We forget how young we are as we watch.  And, we will continue to grow.

:sun:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

TOUGH LOSS, BUT.....

What most consider the top team in the east had to go to overtime to beat Atlanta!

Coming off an injury and not playing for so long, our center just ran out of steam in the second of a back to back game.  Strangely enough, none of our back up centers didn't get time.  What's wrong with Onyeka Okongwu?  Agent 0017 was drafted #6, was injured, healed, played a little, hasn't been seen or heard from since.  Nathan Knight appeared briefly.  Now, can't get in.  Bruno, ditto.

Hawks are still fighting injuries.  Minute restrictions on many and it shows.  

Haliburton would have been nice as a backup for Trae.  I hope Agent 0017 comes on and proves that he was worthy of being drafted instead.  We could have used some help for Capela in the 2nd game of that back to back.  

Young Hawks growing up right before our eyes.  We forget how young we are as we watch.  And, we will continue to grow.

:sun:

I'll beat that Haliburton drum with you.  You know the solid, defensive minded SG who doesn't need that ball that we discussed a couple days ago?  It could have been Hali.  Though I do want to see a healthy Dunn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Just so you don't think I'm picking on you, I will say I'm also worried the WAS game might be a trap for us.

We seem to struggle (play down?) vs these rag-tag teams with a bunch of nobodies.  I don't worry about us vs the big dogs.  But vs the Charlottes, Clevelands, Orlandos, of the world?  It's a lotta ....

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47h27xx0tgo8vhdvl9s96

Charlotte,Cleveland way better teams than Wiz...But yeah..

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

You do realize the minute restriction isn't based on how much we need him on the court, right?

If Sabonis ends up being banged up all reg. season then limited in the playoffs because they decided to push him out there in a meaningless game, then what?

Nah, they believe in old school toughness and resilience. We believe in coddling and babying.

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I personally think LP likes playing small because it is easier to run a 5 out offense, then run a play to get a good shot when Clint is out there. Lazy offense..

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

For the record, I thought Young played a decent floor game yesterday. He did miss some shots he really shouldn't have though.

Yup, took care of the ball, did a good job of running the sets and controlling the tempo. His passing is still off though for whatever reason, he was so much sharper last year with his passes especially in the pick and roll. Maybe it's defenses adjusting and him loosing faith in his floater which has failed him that is leading him to force a lot of balls where they absolutely shouldn't be forced. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup, took care of the ball, did a good job of running the sets and controlling the tempo. His passing is still off though for whatever reason, he was so much sharper last year with his passes especially in the pick and roll. Maybe it's defenses adjusting and him loosing faith in his floater which has failed him that is leading him to force a lot of balls where they absolutely shouldn't be forced. 

His floater is so important. Really that's the key shot, because the threat of it draws the defense to close in, leaving one of our bigs open underneath. Without it Trae is in trouble quick frankly. Teams will let him take 30 footers all day, they aren't worried about that.

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The PnR was just him and JC last year. That was the offense.

It's different, this year, more nuance to the offense the spacing is different, Cap will always be close to the backet meaning he has an additional defender to contend with, sometimes the timing with him and Cap is off, still learning each other, sometimes he looks unsure if he's taking a floater or passing to Cap. He has more player options on offense to figure out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Actually, at the draft combine, Durant was shockingly slow when he was timed. Also he couldn't lift 185 lbs even one time. But basketball isn't football. Strength and speed are nice, but they aren't essential. It's all about length and skill, like you said.

Also has more to do with basketball players never actually training for those those type of drills unlike football players who prepare for the combine starting in Pop Warner. 

36 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

For strength, sure. But speed is honestly mostly genetic. 

I’m saying if you’ve never actually ran a cone drill in your life, you’re going to be awkward going through it for the first time, at full speed, with 50 people watching you with stopwatches.  NBA scouts don’t look at the combine as a true indication of your actual speed, agility, strength, and certainly not ability. 

For the NFL the combine can make or break your bank account regardless of any amount of game tape so guys train for that from a very young age.  No one looked at Durant’s combine and expected the next Peja Stojakovic.

• Like 2