• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, kg01 said:

We're just having a discussion, no need to try and hurt my feelings.

Those metrics are available to everyone in a league that consistently overpays mediocre players and that supposedly values 'winning' analytics like what you're quoting.  Yet he couldn't get more than $3.5mil?  The guy is ok, not much more than that.

And being an upgrade over Rondo isn't the question.  It's more like, is he an upgrade over Dunn who's supposed to be our backup point.

So now people are as good as their contracts? 

Mcconnel has more win shares the last three years than Dunn and Rondo combined, averages 11-8 on 50% shooting and 2 steals per game for his career per 36 mins. He has easily been a top5 player for the Pacers this year on a per win share basis, but your logic is Dunn was a better signing because... we paid him more money?

We paid Danilo, Bogdon, Rondo and Dunn a combined  50 million + this year and they have given us1.6 win shares while Pacers paid McConnel 3 million for 2 win shares and we are the smart ones?

LMAO. Ok. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The right play is the right play.  It doesn't matter whether he passes or shoots.  If it is the right play, It is the right play and he should be encourage to make the right play

You are taking the "right play" quote out of context.  It was explained to you very thoroughly that the poster didn't mean it in the way you are using it.  But by all means continue to have fun with that.

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Mcconnel has more win shares the last three years than Dunn and Rondo combined, averages 11-8 on 50% shooting and 2 steals per game for his career per 36 mins. He has easily been a top5 player for the Pacers this year on a per win share basis, but your logic is Dunn was a better signing because... we paid him more money?

We paid Danilo, Bogdon, Rondo and Dunn a combined  50 million + this year and they have given us1.6 win shares while Pacers paid McConnel 3 million for 2 win shares and we are the smart ones?

LMAO. Ok. 

I advocated for McConnell the contract before this one.  He is a great value player.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I advocated for McConnell the contract before this one.  He is a great value player.

A lot of us were hoping for that signing, it was a huge need and he was the obvious best value available. I think it was the infamous "we won't spend our money on bad contracts" free agency where we thought rolling out Alex Len at starting C was a great idea.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Hawks have tried to get McConnell for the last three years and have failed 

They must not have tried very hard yo lol. 

The notion we missed on McConnell because we were penny pinching, and then turn around the next season and spend 40 million on two backup players makes my head hurt.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

They must not have tried very hard yo lol. 

The notion we missed on McConnell because we were penny pinching, and then turn around the next season and spend 40 million on two backup players makes my head hurt.

He wanted to start and Indy values him

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Regardless you would think a couple of extra million would have him tripping over himself to sign, no player of his tier is just gonna walk away from a better contract. 

TS gave him the best offer

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Stand down, supes.  These dudes want McConnell over Trae apparently.  Faced with the idea that the guy wanted to start and that the Hawks made the best offer, they're still not satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Stand down, supes.  These dudes want McConnell over Trae apparently.  Faced with the idea that the guy wanted to start and that the Hawks made the best offer, they're still not satisfied.

McConnell has never started in Indy lol. So, if Indy lied to him about starting why did he resign? 

47 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

LMAO. Ok. 

Yeah I'm not doing the heavy analytic thing.  If you think TJ freaking McConnell elevates our team more than all those guys combined, I'm not sure what to tell you.

McConnell is an ok player, nothing more.

12 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Contracts are not how you evaluate a player. Some guys are over paid, some guys are underpaid. A lot of that is timing, and how you played in your contract year, the overall market, etc. Let's see what McConnell gets this summer, guarantee you he gets a nice raise.

You know it's not that simple.

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

McConnell has never started in Indy lol. So, if Indy lied to him about starting why did he resign

Because he had so many better options since he's such a sought-after player?

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He wanted to start and Indy values him

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He has not started anywhere over the last two contracts.  On his prior contract he earned ~$1.5M per year (we paid Lin $13M for half a season and gave up a first round pick to do that). 

This year he is earning $3.5M per while we are paying Rondo $7.5M per.

I'm not losing sleep over McConnell by any means but I refuse to believe we couldn't have landed him.  

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nice strawman. We are advocating for him as the back up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has not started anywhere over the last two contracts.  On his prior contract he earned ~$1.5M per year (we paid Lin $13M for half a season and gave up a first round pick to do that). 

This year he is earning $3.5M per while we are paying Rondo $7.5M per.

I'm not losing sleep over McConnell by any means but I refuse to believe we couldn't have landed him.  

Rondo was massively overpaid and from I was told, McConnell wasn't offered stupid money. Rondo value to Atlanta is bigger than production 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

You are taking the "right play" quote out of context.  It was explained to you very thoroughly that the poster didn't mean it in the way you are using it.  But by all means continue to have fun with that.

I actually didn't name anyone in particular when I made the initial statement regarding Trae father's comment.  A certain poster identified himself as the culprit. Not me. If he agreed with Trae's father, he would have said so and move on. But he didn't.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Interesting times  - discussing TJ McConnell, intersting times indeed.

Hey, when I think dudes that single-handedly shift the fortunes of franchises, I think TJ freaking McConnell.  Who's next?  Caleb Martin?

This site has a loooooong history of anointing middling players for no other reason than they happen to play for some other team and people try to go out of their way to appear they're not homers.  It's comical.  Its why guys like Bol Bol continue to have a following here despite 'average as cold grits' actual play.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I actually didn't name anyone in particular when I made the initial statement regarding Trae father's comment.  A certain poster identified himself as the culprit. Not me. If he agreed with Trae's father, he would have said so and move on. But he didn't.

It isn't hard to see why given that you have harped on that poster over and over about that very quote and your post echoed the same viewpoint you expressed in the same discussion you'd already had with him.

He responded to you using the quote from Trae's father to parrot your earlier talking point that you directed at him.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

It isn't hard to see why given that you have harped on that poster over and over about that very quote and your post echoed the same viewpoint you expressed in the same discussion you'd already had with him.

He responded to you using the quote from Trae's father to parrot your earlier talking point that you directed at him.

The reason he didn't agree with Trae's father is that he truly feels like should take the all of the shots unless he is in trouble and not trust his teammates. He wants him to be an Iverson type point guard.  He has said it in many post and you know this but you keep covering for him why?