• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Rockets

lethalweapon3

Just got back from my friend’s (the Rocket 🚀) fan’s House (no put Danuel). I had one eye 👁 on Gallo, Knight (wow) and Trae and the other eye 👁 on 3 kids and a dog! Hawks won and I learned how to draw ✍🏽 a Nintendo Switch from a father/son on YouTube after the game. 😃 

Great times for us Hawks fans! 

Made it close at the end but we are apparently a 4th quarter type team.

Nate 7-1, love it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Some of us believe intensely that, in general, fans just inherently under-appreciate the value of high-caliber defensive talent... and inherently over-appreciate the value of high-caliber offensive talent.

This team desperately needs a competent, good-enough defensive asset backing up Capela before playoff time if there is any real interest in trying to win a single playoff series.

• Premium Member

LP gets fired and the Hawks proceed to immediately go on a 6 win run; 4th quarter meltdowns are gone, thank goodneess.

Cam gets hurt and the Hawks win 7 of 10 games he couldn't play.

This one was a scare, but Collins dominated every time he was on the court. Max player? I don't think so for now, but with Clint hurt he is the one who's bringing ATL the wins.  

Cam is absolutely expendable in my opinion and should only play garbage time minutes if Tony's health is ok. Let's see whether Reddish can play under Nate, but I don't want to see him getting any meaningful minutes ahead of Tony.

Nathan Knight is playing well and could be a good reserve for years to come. All he needs is to build confidence. These two last games were just fine. IMHO he's a way better player than OO right now. And he DOES make FTs. It looks to me OO might have been a wasted pick, I really don't like what I see when he's on the court. It's early, but I wouldn't be opposed to trade him if possible. 

Can we make it 7 in a row? GO HAWKS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

LP gets fired and the Hawks proceed to immediately go on a 6 win run; 4th quarter meltdowns are gone, thank goodneess.

Cam gets hurt and the Hawks win 7 of 10 games he couldn't play.

This one was a scare, but Collins dominated every time he was on the court. Max player? I don't think so for now, but with Clint hurt he is the one who's bringing ATL the wins.  

Cam is absolutely expendable in my opinion and should only play garbage time minutes if Tony's health is ok. Let's see whether Reddish can play under Nate, but I don't want to see him getting any meaningful minutes ahead of Tony.

Nathan Knight is playing well and could be a good reserve for years to come. All he needs is to build confidence. These two last games were just fine. IMHO he's a way better player than OO right now. And he DOES make FTs. It looks to me OO might have been a wasted pick, I really don't like what I see when he's on the court. It's early, but I wouldn't be opposed to trade him if possible. 

Can we make it 7 in a row? GO HAWKS!

Yup, Heurter has locked down the starting wing position IMO. He has been solid, and even become a competent defender the last several games. When Hunter comes back and Snell moves to the bench we will have very solid starting lineup and a bench lineup of Rondo, Bogi, Snell, Gallo and Nathan Knight, which is potentially fantastic. Cam should get those Solo minutes around 10-14 per game. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Don't be clownish. Cam wasn't losing us games. LP was. He's been a net neutral performer. This Cam hate is getting out of hand due to his injury 

Well, let's see him under Nate. It could be that he gets better on offense, but I'm not as confident as you are. I think we should keep things just as they are.

Cam must earn his minutes, just like Snell did. 

In my book, Cam is Josh Smith 2.0. 🤢

• Premium Member
Just now, BrazilianHawk said:

Well, let's see him under Nate. It could be that he gets better on offense, but I'm not as confident as you are. I think we should keep things just as they are.

Cam must earn his minutes, just like Snell did. 

Cam was playing 30 mpg and had a TS of 48%.... that would make Bembry blush. His role should certainly be diminished especially with Tony Snell playing ligthts out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

They were all up in his grill all game, swallowed the whistle in the second half. Damn near had to be tackled to get a foul call down the stretch.

I guess I'm not the only one who hates Trae's shenanigans.

Honestly, if I was a ref I'm not sure I'd call some of the fouls that put him on the line. 

Finally realizing that Knight can help this team is one of the best things that could of happened in this win streak.  I truly think he only lacks defensive awareness and that's something that can be improved fairly easily.  I did like that when he was switched on Oiadpo that he was able to stay in front of him and forced him into a difficult shot (he made it though).  He should have Hills guaranteed contract but I digress...

Rondo seems to be playing much better for a few reasons. There seems to be a much larger focus on communication on defense and that plays into Rondo's strength. Also, Snell's amazing shooting, combined with Gallo and the threat of Bogi (I know he's still not himself but you still can't leave him open) allows the lanes to be less congested.  Actually having an offensive philosophy outside high pick and roll helps a ton too (looking at you LP).

Trae was getting fouled A LOT and it wasn't getting called. These refs were freaking awful man. I mean it got really bad there for a min.  The good thing was that we were able to surge without Trae's offense, which is a sign of growth.

Good win to keep the confidence going. We just need to figure out how to get out of this ridiculous stretch of west coast games somewhere near .500. Teams are still sleeping on us and might see the Hawks still has a game that they can rest their starters on and that might help. Hunter and Dunn seem to be extremely close to returning to the court which is also promising.

If we can make it out of this stretch, I think we will be playoff bound. It remains to be seen if we are legit but we definitely have a punchers chance with the defense we have been shown to possess during this win streak. I'm starting to believe in this team again because it looks like they want to win and I'm all for it...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

Sobriety = good.

Critical thought = good.

The willingness/capacity to acknowledge positive and negative = good.

Understanding the accomplishment as well as the context of the accomplishment = good.

Balanced conclusions = good.

The appreciation for progress/accomplishment as well as the appreciation for plausible challenges to success that remain = good.

(And yeah... the converse of all that... "not so good"... in some more extreme cases, "bad.")

I don't make those rules. And/but I'm also not resistant to them, or try not to be.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Snell is shooting absolutely lights out and it's amazing to see, but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest he deserves Cam's minutes... Snell isn't creating his own shots and when we start to play teams with locked-in defenses, he's not going to get these open looks to make, and he's not shooting contested shots (part of why his % is so high).  With that said, we absolutely need Cam on the defensive end.  He's head and shoulders above Snell and that is where we will win ball games.  You can miss a lot of shots and win if you are holding teams to <20 a quarter.

Add in the context that Cam has been playing injured and he's young/impressionable and been without a real coach, and I think we need to be a little more patient.  I'm not suggesting he has to play 35 min/game but he should absolutely be getting 20-25+