• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can anyone pinpoint why this team is so much better?

MarylandHawk

• Premium Member

We know the obvious that Nate is a better coach and we have some some quality veteran additions but there is something else that makes this team special and I can’t quite put my finger on it. We went 4 and 1 at the start of the season with one type of line up, after Pierce was fired we went 8 and 1 with a different line up. Then Trae gets hurt and we go 4 and 1. When I was ready to say it was Clint, the he gets hurt and we win. Is anybody else seeing something that is a common thread here?  Could it be Kevin Heurter? Solo luck? They have played the most games. I know it is a combination of everything but it feels like I am missing something. 

• Premium Member

I feel like this team still hasn’t reached their peak. I heard someone mention they have a Patriots style way of allowing the next man up to succeed.  Having everyone understand their roles and know where their shots are coming from must be a significant factor. 

• Like 1

Agree with both the Nate can close out games well and a healthy Bogi can close out well statements. We couldn't hit a three last year but we definitely can this year so will add some key shooting from deep by Snell as well. Healthy Trae , Bogi and Snell can really put that deep range pressure on and when Trae goes off the floor now it is not automatically the end for us anymore. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

A big part of this entire thing is the concept of "Team."  Our Hawk players have now became not just a group of NBA players together, they are "The Atlanta Hawk Team !!"

:hi:

This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually look to win shares to get a simple take on what’s what since my eyes agree most of the time.  Off the top of my head I can’t think of a front court duo with the shares that Clint (.204/ 48) and The Baptist (.172) have.  Trae’s FT attempts and their physicality inside (notably the offesnive board work) are the foundations for this team, the three point shooting and great combo abilities in guys like Dre, Kevin, and Bogi to play both ends with multiple roles secondary.  

All the injuries aside, Schlenk has just done an excellent job with fits here.  Had Dunn been healthy we would be seeing a great fit duo with he and Trae.  Schlenk gets a pass for the Rondo signing after flipping him for Lemon Pepper.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

I think our team was just too young and inexperienced to run the type of "create it yourself" offense that we had in place early in the year.  We have a very specific game plan in place that melds the pieces together and nobody seems to be out to "get theirs."  This has been a good synergy of a GM drafting with a team vision in mind and the coach executing that vision.

As was stated, we are truly a team now.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Schlenk gets a pass for the Rondo signing after flipping him for Lemon Pepper.

And for me not just a pass but kudos for quickly undoing an obvious mistake rather than trying to force it.  He did that with LP too as soon as he could.  It'll be interesting to see when any of 'his' draft picks get moved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I usually look to win shares to get a simple take on what’s what since my eyes agree most of the time.  Off the top of my head I can’t think of a front court duo with the shares that Clint (.204/ 48) and The Baptist (.172) have.  Trae’s FT attempts and their physicality inside (notably the offesnive board work) are the foundations for this team, the three point shooting and great combo abilities in guys like Dre, Kevin, and Bogi to play both ends with multiple roles secondary.  

All the injuries aside, Schlenk has just done an excellent job with fits here.  Had Dunn been healthy we would be seeing a great fit duo with he and Trae.  Schlenk gets a pass for the Rondo signing after flipping him for Lemon Pepper.

But... Lemon Pepper is awful

• Moderators
Just now, capstone21 said:

Lou is a great scorer but I don't like him as our playmaker ... I wish Dunn had been healthy or we had another point guard that could pick that role up and let Lou just roam and score.

Yeah.  He's trying to hard to facilitate but i gotta think Nate is going to straighten that out.   

I think the coaching change is probably less the reason than that team is just playing better. Teams need time to jell. Everytime we played bad it was CLP's fault, now everytime we play good it's because of Nate's genius. I don't buy that for a second. Nate was on the staff during those games. People act he was brought in from the outside. He's done a great job, but our turnaround is multi-factorial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I think the coaching change is probably less the reason than that team is just playing better. Teams need time to jell. Everytime we played bad it was CLP's fault, now everytime we play good it's because of Nate's genius. I don't buy that for a second. Nate was on the staff during those games. People act he was brought in from the outside. He's done a great job, but our turnaround is multi-factorial. 

I agree with your premise but can't discount the disgruntled attitude of the players under LP.   You can blame whoever but that's an obvious fact. 

• Like 3