• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Wizards at Hawks (Manic Monday)

lethalweapon3

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I know a lot of my talk was about Trae, but this is the reason the game was even remotely close. 

Can't let that happen.  

That's God awful.

The more guys we get back the worse the bench plays it seems.

Good thing is that come playoff time, you only need 8 guys really. Your starting 5, plus a backup at guard, wing and big. No need to go full on bench 5 unit unless its a blowout or foul trouble.

Trae, Bogi, Dre, JC, Clint, Kev, Gallo, Lou. That's the main squad.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I would take it all back if I could.

I heard him interviewed a while back and it was the most insightful interview I'd heard in a long time.  Maybe the NBAtv or studio dynamic compels him to talk in sound bites rather than elaborate like he did in the interview I heard?

I loved him on Open Court, he has the best stories on the panels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That's God awful.

The more guys we get back the worse the bench plays it seems.

Good thing is that come playoff time, you only need 8 guys really. Your starting 5, plus a backup at guard, wing and big. No need to go full on bench 5 unit unless its a blowout or foul trouble.

Trae, Bogi, Dre, JC, Clint, Kev, Gallo, Lou. That's the main squad.

One reason is that Lou has been complete ass lately. When Lou scores like 15 to 20 points that gives us a huge shot in the arm. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I would take it all back if I could.

I heard him interviewed a while back and it was the most insightful interview I'd heard in a long time.  Maybe the NBAtv or studio dynamic compels him to talk in sound bites rather than elaborate like he did in the interview I heard?

He might be good in other settings. But you would be surprised how contrived these TV things are. Some of the opinions are practically scripted. It's live TV so the producers don't like to leave things to chance.

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He could get spot up threes and come off screens if he wanted, but he's shown no desire to do so.

That's not the point Ray is speaking on.  Trae just had a decent game and Chris comes out talking about his 3 point shooting.  I mean I did it, but it's funny how Chris is always taking jabs at the team as a beat writer.  He's a New York Fan, I mean he is pretty objective.  I just don't believe right after a solid game is the time to start a new narrative about how Trae Young isn't very good.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

One reason is that Lou has been complete ass lately. When Lou scores like 15 to 20 points that gives us a huge shot in the arm. 

You know what, I agree, but it hit me that he seems to play worse as the main ball handler. So when we take Kev off the 2nd unit that leaves Lou to create for everyone and he doesnt get the same space or rhythm.

I think if we are in a situation where Kev has to start for whatever reason, they need to let BG get backup PG minutes to take the ball pressure off of Lou. When Kev is with the second unit, it's another story for Lou. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, marco102 said:

That's not the point Ray is speaking on.  Trae just had a decent game and Chris comes out talking about his 3 point shooting.  I mean I did it, but it's funny how Chris is always taking jabs at the team as a beat writer.  He's a New York Fan, I mean he is pretty objective.  I just don't believe right after a solid game is the time to start a new narrative about how Trae Young isn't very good.

You want to be a superstar, the bar is set high. For years LeBron had to hear about his three point shooting, Giannis has to hear about his three point shooting. It's a huge part of the game, and it's fair to criticize when those threes arent falling over a significant stretch of time. I dont think Chris pointing that out is out of line or unfair. 

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Right. Rae was saying don't let them create another narrative, which they love to do with Trae. It's just one goalpast after another.

He's shooting poorly from three for several months now, it's a valid concern and it's fair to point it out. Is it unfair to point out Giannis's poor three point shooting? People bring that up all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You want to be a superstar, the bar is set high. For years LeBron had to hear about his three point shooting, Giannis has to hear about his three point shooting. It's a huge part of the game, and it's fair to criticize when those threes arent falling over a significant stretch of time. I dont Chris pointing that out is out of line or unfair. 

Mention  Trae Young in the same breath as LBJ or Giannis on any message board and watch the narratives come pouring in.

So you don't think the Media has created a negative narrative around Trae Young? 

Like when he was getting to the foul line.  Did you not see NBA Twitter go in on him so much so that refs stop giving him calls? 

Or they said he was a stat padder and the Hawks couldn't win with him.  He's the worst defensive player ever...etc.

These aren't fan talking points these were over arching narratives put out by national writers and they just  used their platforms to down play how good Trae is.

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He's shooting poorly from three for several months now, it's a valid concern and it's fair to point it out. Is it unfair to point out Giannis's poor three point shooting? People bring that up all the time.

They also think Giannis is great regardless.  Trae Young isn't seen as great by a lot of people just because of the narratives pushed by the media.

I should add that sure it's okay to bring up the concern, but it's the timing of it. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Mention  Trae Young in the same breath as LBJ or Giannis on any message board and watch the narratives come pouring in.

So you don't think the Media has created a negative narrative around Trae Young? 

Like when he was getting to the foul line.  Did you not see NBA Twitter go in on him so much so that refs stop giving him calls? 

Or they said he was a stat padder and the Hawks couldn't win with him.  He's the worst defensive player ever...etc.

These aren't fan talking points these were over arching narratives put out by national writers and they just  used their platforms to down play how good Trae is.

They also think Giannis is great regardless.  Trae Young isn't seen as great by a lot of people just because of the narratives pushed by the media.

I should add that sure it's okay to bring up the concern, but it's the timing of it. 

I'm concerned about it a little bit, but not to criticize Trae or nitpick. But just because when Trae is hitting his threes, that is such a back breaker for the other team, and it's a big part of his game. I have basically accepted we are playing NYN round 1, we are going to need some Trae threes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae is still developing his game, he's gonna make mistakes, he will learn, for all his TOs ( he had 5 in the 1st half, 1 in the 2nd half) and missed shots etc, he's not above criticism when it is warranted, ........but  We almost lost this game because we gave up 45 point in the 4th quarter.  The bench almost lost this game within the first 4 minutes of the 4th quarter, from a 17 point lead to end the 3rd to a 4 point lead with 7:55 left in the 4th when Trae returned.

You still like Solomon Hill getting minutes? Dude gave us 0 points in 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, willthepureshooter said:

You still like Solomon Hill getting minutes? Dude gave us 0 points in 10 minutes.

If we could get Cam back we would effectively retire Solo. Trae, Bogi, Dre, JC, Capela starting unit.

Second unit, Lou/Dunn, Kev, Cam, Gallo, OO. 

27 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Teams leave Giannis open from three. Teams used to sag off of Lebron from 3.

Trae can shoot. Nobody is leaving him open from three. No matter what the percentages say, no matter how lethal his lane floater is, or his propensity to draw touch fouls from outside the three point line, teams will not leave Trae open from deep. He struggles because he rarely gets clean looks. When left wide open Trae knocks down shots at an elite level. Giannis can't do that, Lebron couldn't. Trae is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Teams leave Giannis open from three. Teams used to sag off of Lebron from 3.

Trae can shoot. Nobody is leaving him open from three. No matter what the percentages say, no matter how lethal his lane floater is, or his propensity to draw touch fouls from outside the three point line, teams will not leave Trae open from deep. He struggles because he rarely gets clean looks. When left wide open Trae knocks down shots at an elite level. Giannis can't do that, Lebron couldn't. Trae is different.

Well whatever reason, he's had trouble knocking them down lately. He has still been playing great though.

Hawks fans let's recognize that we have never had players that can easily go for 35-40 pts. And he does it with 9-12 ast. Like have we ever had a player that puts up these numbers. No. We finally have a superstar, let's treat him like one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1