• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ben Simmons A Hawk? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Diesel

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Simmons is 6'10" in shoes I believe so saying he's 6'11" isn't much of a STRETCH.

I'm here all week, folks. 

But speaking of Simmons to emphasize @Diesel post earlier: he's right. Simmons should never have been used as a PG when it became clear he can't shoot. He should be used as a power forward in the low post that can be a secondary distributor or fast break creator. He can definitely score around the basket. Why not build that skill up more by making him a low post player? Who the hell in today's game can guard the low post well? 

The only problem with that is Simmons. He before said he only wants to play PG. If someone can convince him to play PF/C I think his game would skyrocket. 

FWIW, Ben Simmons apparently is the exact same height with and without shoes as John Collins.

6'8.25 without, 6'9.5 with shoes. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/2016-nba-draft-combine-measurements/

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2017-18

GetFileAttachment?id=AAMkADdjNDFjMmY0LTYyMTMtNDlmNC1hY2MzLTBhZTViOGJmZmIyMQBGAAAAAAA9i01KJgoET6Y%2FT%2FqVR0PnBwBfj5PtUT9QRYxwAsxPvGo6AAAAAAEMAABfj5PtUT9QRYxwAsxPvGo6AAOKlzodAAABEgAQAAhUq7DRjktBgFVCadHr%2Fd8%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=UcHsATlHMk6I2qBkRxtt51AEonN6h9kI7aQhMHt-I5YOjhhPeZ6el9HugH0Rd7NNgrCUpMsNTiM.&isImagePreview=True

One gets a pass as a 6'11 PG, the other gets listed as a 6'9 PF.

Imagine that

8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

IMG_6315.PNG.b8bbbdcfdaac49c543f7ce4688b77981.PNG

I tried to cheat the system and shortcut that last photo attachment. But this is what it should have shown.

Twinsies!

I’m marking them both 6’10 and calling it a day 👏 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Would be the best fit for him too. But Denver isn’t giving Murray or Porter for him.

Yes that's the problem. The problem is if Ben insists on playing PG you are going to handicap your team with a non shooting PG as your main ballhandler. That simply repeats the same problem he has in Philly. He needs a position change to PF but I don't think Ben is smart enough to buy into it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Sothron said:

Yes that's the problem. The problem is if Ben insists on playing PG you are going to handicap your team with a non shooting PG as your main ballhandler. That simply repeats the same problem he has in Philly. He needs a position change to PF but I don't think Ben is smart enough to buy into it.

I'm not sure there is a low enough temperature to reflect how cold Ben would get in a meeting with a prospective team where they were trying to sell him on not being a PG and playing inside like Philly did when they pitched him playing on the interior when Embiid came off the floor.  He wants to be the primary ball player bring the ball up the court for his team while not being a volume scorer and while being a liability from the free throw line and the perimeter.  That is a very tough needle to thread.  

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm not sure there is a low enough temperature to reflect how cold Ben would get in a meeting with a prospective team where they were trying to sell him on not being a PG and playing inside like Philly did when they pitched him playing on the interior when Embiid came off the floor.  He wants to be the primary ball player bring the ball up the court for his team while not being a volume scorer and while being a liability from the free throw line and the perimeter.  That is a very tough needle to thread.  

And that's my main issue with Ben. It isn't his lack of shooting or free throw ability. The NBA has several HOF players that couldn't shoot beyond the paint or were bad free throw shooters. But those guys weren't point guards and primary ball handlers. He needs to be moved to PF. Brent Brown, the Sixers former coach, tried to get him to do it and experimented with it. It worked. 

Ben is going to handicap his own career with his pride. You said it is a very tough needle to thread for him to remain the player he is as the point guard and the primary ball handler. I will go one step further. It is impossible to win a title with  it. Frankly the Sixers are lucky to win any playoff games with it.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

And that's my main issue with Ben. It isn't his lack of shooting or free throw ability. The NBA has several HOF players that couldn't shoot beyond the paint or were bad free throw shooters. But those guys weren't point guards and primary ball handlers. He needs to be moved to PF. Brent Brown, the Sixers former coach, tried to get him to do it and experimented with it. It worked. 

Ben is going to handicap his own career with his pride. You said it is a very tough needle to thread for him to remain the player he is as the point guard and the primary ball handler. I will go one step further. It is impossible to win a title with  it. Frankly the Sixers are lucky to win any playoff games with it.  

We Hawks fans know how it goes when an ultra talented player with major flaws decides he will refuse to do anything other than play to his weaknesses on offense.  There are some major Smoove red flags with the current status quo with Simmons right now.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Sothron said:

IF Brooklyn could trick Philly to take Kyrie for Simmons, Brooklyn could play Simmons at the PG position.... and just let him play PG in the low post. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Diesel said:

IF Brooklyn could trick Philly to take Kyrie for Simmons, Brooklyn could play Simmons at the PG position.... and just let him play PG in the low post. 

That could actually work. Harden is the main ball handler and Ben gets to go hog wild in the low post or rim running off Harden/KD passes. On defense Simmons guards the best guard or wing player. That's actually a really good fit for Ben.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

That could actually work. Harden is the main ball handler and Ben gets to go hog wild in the low post or rim running off Harden/KD passes. On defense Simmons guards the best guard or wing player. That's actually a really good fit for Ben.

That could work if Ben is ok not being the primary balldhandler, not taking the ball over midcourt and operating out of the post.  What you just described sounds a lot like “Simmons shouldn’t be PG, he should be playing near the basket on offense.”

• Like 1