My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

In a package for Ben, my best offer would be Gallo, Cam, and JJ. 

If you wait for JJ to develop he will probably be Simmons light. I don't think his passing would be as good, but everything else would be just as good and much better shooter.  

Well the defense may not be as good, but Ben wasn't a good defender when he came in either.

Just now, marco102 said:

If you wait for JJ to develop he will probably be Simmons light. I don't think his passing would be as good, but everything else would be just as good and much better shooter.  

Well the defense may not be as good, but Ben wasn't a good defender when he came in either.

My thinking is that JJ would be effectively blocked with the presence of Simmons, JC, OO, Clint, etc. with no real avenue of seeking the court with us. At least in Philly he'll get that opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

My thinking is that JJ would be effectively blocked with the presence of Simmons, JC, OO, Clint, etc. with no real avenue of seeking the court with us. At least in Philly he'll get that opportunity. 

Oh my thinking was not to trade for Simmons...😆 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Slash into what with Capela sitting at the dunker spot? The pick and roll wouldn't work with Trae and Capela either because no one is guarding Ben on the perimeter. Show me a team that won the championship in the last 10 years with a three that could only slash to the basket and is one of the worst free throw shooters in the league.

This ain't the 90s and rather people realize it or not, defensive schemes are much better today than they were then.

I say all that but still am intrigued by Simmons.

JC is essentially functioning as a wing on offense, every time he camps out in the corner, or runs pick and pop with a guard out on the wing.

103 of Collins 386 shots this season has come from 3 point range ( 26.7%  of his attempts ), with 80% of his shots being assisted on. So a guy like Collins might flourish even more with a 2nd facilitator on the floor like Simmons in the lineup.

This may not be the 90s, but not too many 6-10 guys move like Simmons, and can guard all 5 positions. 

Bogi - Hunter - Delon - 1st rd pick . . . for Simmons . . . gets the deal done.

Simmons becomes our starting SF, and our PG with the 2nd unit ( if you want to play him in that role )Starters

Starters

Trae - Cam - Simmons - Collins - Capela

Bench

Lou - Huerter - Simmons ( playing point forward ) - Gallo - Okongwu

Or you can call up the kids.

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Oh my thinking was not to trade for Simmons...😆 

Yeah Simmons wouldn't be my first choice. That would be Jaylen Brown, but I think he could work with us if he's willing to play a Draymond role here.

44 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He fixes our defense, but causes so many problems offensively.

I think he'd fix a lot of issues with the 2nd unit offense, while strengthening our starter's defense.

On this squad, I don't think it would be extremely vital for Simmons to average 16 points.  But if he turned into Draymond Green from a facilitator/defensive impact standpoint, that would be much more valuable to the Hawks.

Honestly, the Sixers and Doc Rivers panicked in our playoff series.  From a "who had the lead the most" perspective, the Sixers were the better team.  If they were to keep it all the way real, it wasn't Simmons who failed them.  It was their role players and Rivers playing his version of "all bench" lineups, that failed the Sixers. Ben was just the easiest target because of his FT shooting woes, and his unwillingness to shoot the ball in general.

Jaylen Brown to Hawks SI one here.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/07/celtics-hawks-trade-proposal-jaylen-brown-deandre-hunter-kevin-huerter

The Hawks get Jaylen Brown. The Celtics get De’Andre Hunter, Kevin Huerter, Jalen Johnson and two unprotected first-round picks.

Edited by Spud2nique

46 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Sounds good in theory till you realize Trae sucks without the ball and just stands around like John Wall

You can teach him how to move.  The Hawks ran a beautiful elevator play to free Trae for an open 3 in that Portland game.  This is what Golden State does for Curry all the time, so I was surprised as hell when we actually did it for Trae.

Go to 2:36 in the video.  Trae, Okongwu and Gallo ran the play perfectly, with Delon throwing the pass to Trae at the top of the arc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He can defend the 3 ( which is actually what we really need ), and rebound from that position.

On offense, he can play the 4, with Collins handling the perimeter shooting. 

In the middle of games, you could see a lineup like this out on the floor with the 2nd unit

• Delon
  • Cam
  • Simmons
  • Okongwu
  • Dieng

In a lineup like this, Cam is your #1 offensive option, while Simmons is your facilitator at the top of the key, ala Draymond Green.  Ben may not shoot the ball, but he can definitely drive it to the basket and score.  You'd have a spot up shooter in Dieng at the 5 spot.  You'd have a lob/post threat with Okongwu at the 4 spot.  And you'd have Delon playing off the ball for a shooting/slashing threat.

And a lineup like this is EXTREMELY large with Simmons, OO, Dieng, and Cam all 6 - 8 and over. 

If Cam could score the ball as the #1 option with the bench,  that's a damn good defensive group for a 2nd unit.

If this is our starting group

• Trae
  • Huerter
  • Simmons
  • Collins
  • Capela

. . you still have 3 shooters out on the floor in Trae, Huerter, and Collins.  You have 3 lob threats in Capela, Collins, and Simmons.  And you have the secondary playmaker in Simmons who could free up Trae and Huerter for open looks from 3, while still keeping Capela and Collins as offensive threats.

If Simmons fell into our laps, and we had to give up Bogi + Hunter + 1st + filler ( if needed ), that's a risk I'm willing to take if I'm Schlenk.

I also think that move makes Philly extremely dangerous in the East, which may backfire on us.  But that move definitely makes us better all around.  But the key to our success is if Cam could continue to develop into a high scoring and more efficient scorer.

Simmons might be our Draymond Green, and transform the trajectory of the team.

I think the experiment playing Simmons next to guys that can’t shoot or are better operating in the post area like embiid is over with.

schlenk coming from the warriors organization really understands how important spacing is so if Simmons can’t have space then I just don’t see it working offensively IF Capela is in the starting lineup. Defensively yes it works great no matter who’s out there with Simmons, he can guard 1-5 really. 

Last I agree with the draymond green comment…I’ve longed believe schlenk looks at Ben in that way, that style of play and if Ben accepts it , it can really transcend his career.

the most exciting thing about Simmons is looking at him in the draymond green role and that would be for any and all teams. He accepts that and we are talking about a highly possible HOF player.

• Like 2

Also, if Simmons is added to this team, that gives us another person to guard either Durant or Giannis . . . which are the biggest reasons why the Hawks won't reach the NBA Finals, even if we're healthy.

This team as constructed is NOT a NBA Finals contender, even if healthy, unless a few of these guys dramatically improve between now and the playoffs.

Pull the trigger Travis.  Talk to Philly and see if we can get Ben Simmons here.  Take the risk and see if it works.   It'll make us bigger, faster, and stronger.  Tell them we have 2 wings that can help them ( take their pick ), and a defensive SG masquerading as a PG that we can give them + a 1st round pick. 

Arnold Do It Now GIFs | Tenor

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Jaylen Brown to Hawks SI one here.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/07/celtics-hawks-trade-proposal-jaylen-brown-deandre-hunter-kevin-huerter

The Hawks get Jaylen Brown. The Celtics get De’Andre Hunter, Kevin Huerter, Jalen Johnson and two unprotected first-round picks.

Omfg!  I like him but he ain't prime Kawhi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Also, if Simmons is added to this team, that gives us another person to guard either Durant or Giannis . . . which are the biggest reasons why the Hawks won't reach the NBA Finals, even if we're healthy.

This team as constructed is NOT a NBA Finals contender, even if healthy, unless a few of these guys dramatically improve between now and the playoffs.

Pull the trigger Travis.  Talk to Philly and see if we can get Ben Simmons here.  Take the risk and see if it works.   It'll make us bigger, faster, and stronger.  Tell them we have 2 wings that can help them ( take their pick ), and a defensive SG masquerading as a PG that we can give them + a 1st round pick. 

Arnold Do It Now GIFs | Tenor

Lol no one can guard Durant or Giannis…not even Simmons though I can admit he’s an elite defender.

46 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Not so much.  Pippen played Point forward with less shooters than We would have with Simmons.  With Simmons, we would have 3 3 pt shooters on the floor with him.  That means two things... when he has the ball, lanes will open.  And he's so big and long that you have to get somebody on him...else he drives.  It's not much different than what was going on in Philly.  He had lesser shooters and a better big man playing with him.  Lesser shooters in that He had Curry as the best shooter but Tobias was not automatic but good and whoever the flavor of the day at PG.   I think JC > Harris.  Trae > PG .  and Other shooter < Curry.   Plus, Trae can actually have the ball and PNR with everybody else when he wants to do so. 

You and I are aligned.  I think Simmons could absolutely work here in a point forward role.  He might even be willing to take a backseat to Trae as a starter, and just be an energy guy.   If Nate was smart, Simmons would be the floor leader when Trae is out of the game, to keep the offense flowing to the shooters, while looking to drive to the basket for his own shot.

42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't Simmons shoot like 34% from the FT line last post season?  Pass!

Simmons is EXACTLY the person you'd love on this team, because he rebounds, defends, and makes people better.  And he's big ( 6 - 10 ), and would keep most of our lineups big, which would improve our rebounding and defense overall.  The Smurf lineups should disappear, if we had Simmons, unless Nate just insisted on having 4 shooting threats on the floor.

Teams normally deploy the "hack-a-Simmons" strategy if they're down by 5 - 10 points in the 4th.   Simmons is a career 60% FT shooter, which in most cases, is more than serviceable enough to keep him engaged in games.  Especially when he's only taking like 4 - 5 FTs a game. 

Doc Rivers doesn't get enough blame last year for blowing two HUGE leads in that series.  Simmons get the brunt of the blame because he failed in the critical times.  But Doc is really the one who failed that team.  His all-bench lineups were absolutely atrocious, and enabled us to get back into both of those games in which we were getting destroyed in.