• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

STAND PAT!!!!!!

Spud2nique

This is the depth that we thought we had coming into the season.  I'm disappointed that we couldn't weather the injuries and illnesses better; thought we were better built than anyone to handle that.  But it's coming together now.  The second unit minus Cam is a joy to behold at the moment.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 1/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, benhillboy said:

Delon is holding down 5th in defensive plays per foul and 11th in assist to turn.  Tyus Jones leading the league in both wtf.  Along with Gary Payton Jr. these three BU guards contribute to winning so freaking much.

Delon now with a chunky +10 rating.  Playing together with OO is just floor game madness.  So hard for the opposing team to go on a run with the tools they bring in screening, rolling, movement, drawing fouls, offensive rebounding, walling off drives, blocks, and steals.  And if it were 20 years ago Delon would definitely be in the three point contest lol.

Delon has been ballin'. He is finding his niche and playing with more aggresiveness and confidence on offense. His defense has been excellent all year and continues to be so. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, txsting said:

This is the depth that we thought we had coming into the season.  I'm disappointed that we couldn't weather the injuries and illnesses better; thought we were better built than anyone to handle that.  But it's coming together now.  The second unit minus Cam is a joy to behold at the moment.

We are pretty delicate when it comes to lineups and team chemistry which I hope we outgrow as our core gets older. Double edge sword though cause when things are working we are one of the best teams in the league.

I do not want to panic and chip away at our core, we need to ride out this roster and coaching staff for a few more years to see when they peak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swanlee said:

I do not want to panic and chip away at our core, we need to ride out this roster and coaching staff for a few more years to see when they peak.

The problem with waiting is you've signed everyone to big contracts, then you have no cap and a bunch of overpaid players on bad contracts.  Also, you are a perpetual 4-6 seed and you don't have high enough draft picks to improve.  At least management had the wisdom to trade Cam before it was too late.  

I actually think we have the right mix to make a move in the next 18 months.  We have some bigger and desirable contracts, promising young players on rookie contracts, and a bit of draft capital though not much.  The problem is the play in games are hurting availability of talent, 2/3 of the league has a shot at the playoffs. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The problem with waiting is you've signed everyone to big contracts, then you have no cap and a bunch of overpaid players on bad contracts.  Also, you are a perpetual 4-6 seed and you don't have high enough draft picks to improve.  At least management had the wisdom to trade Cam before it was too late.  

I actually think we have the right mix to make a move in the next 18 months.  We have some bigger and desirable contracts, promising young players on rookie contracts, and a bit of draft capital though not much.  The problem is the play in games are hurting availability of talent, 2/3 of the league has a shot at the playoffs. 

Yeah I can't tell that there is anyone of significance to us that is really available. 

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah I can't tell that there is anyone of significance to us that is really available. 

If that is true, we have to hope like hell one of our guys becomes a LEGIT star.  Or we may just be SOL.  

We don't need this to happen at the trade deadline, though.  I think we have a couple years at least.  The window could be longer if we "Trust the Process" some of our guys like we did with Cam.    

Our team is extremely well constructed. There are no trades that are out there that don't damage the fit of the pieces on this roster.

I agree that our chemistry is way too fickle for us to sustain through major disruption. And mid season trades almost never produce a winner if both sides are looking to improve immediately. 

It's not about playing it safe at this point. It's about seeing it through and finishing what we started. We have seen big time improvement the last 2 weeks, now is the time to ride this wave, not cut through it.

Our next 6 games are against playoff teams. We just beat 4 playoff teams in a row before the lowly Kings. If we can get through this next stretch with a winning record, then I think we have to accept that this team has what it takes to make some noise again down the stretch. 

I'm definitely on hold as far as trades go, and the next 10 days will determine if I think we should hang up the phone for good until the offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam1218 said:

I put this in the game thread, but I want to put it here too. I was at the game last night and here was one big takeaway I had.

I’d like to add some stuff about Collins too. He was the only player really talking on D. His complaining was also at better times, not during live ball situations like many of our guys do. I also noticed during warmups he was going around to multiple players, helping CC and OO by playing soft defense on their warmup shots, putting a hand up for our shooters, laughing and setting a mood. He spent some time with Knox too, and was the only player who went out of their way to make him feel involved. This is why I don’t want him gone, his value extends way beyond the court.

Some people won't understand, others just don't want to.

JC is Mr.Hawk right now. Funny how hard posters fought for Kent Bazemore because he was Mr. Congeniality, but want to ship JC out on the first trade deal that they see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

JC is Mr.Hawk right now. Funny how hard posters fought for Kent Bazemore because he was Mr. Congeniality, but want to ship JC out on the first trade deal that they see.

Agreed! But 🎶 we don’t talk about Bazemore 🎶. I still can’t fathom we gave him so much money to gaze.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This team has had practically zero stability in who has been available 1-8 from the very start of the season.

You can't just re-establish last season's chemistry and mojo with happy thoughts, of course.

Have to actually get on the court and practice together and then play together for a substantial number of games in a row.

Cannot presume the worst of this roster with any clear and compelling evidence, for that reason. There has been chronic churning of the rotation and only now has some degree of stability began to settle in.

Add to that how Cam's situation was inherently contorting the second unit's productivity because of his (somewhat understandable) predisposition to try to generate numbers.

Add to that how, clearly, Dre's presence in particular has become so consequential. And Big2O's. And, more recently, Delon's.

Your eyes weren't lyin last season. This roster really was that good that they were very realistically, very plausibly within a misplaced referee's foot of a Finals appearance. And they're a year older, a year wiser, a year more mature. And they're supplemented that roster with a well-regarded PG in Delon instead of the hybrid (though useful) LouWill, and Deing instead of... forgive me for saying it, Bruno... Fernando.

All they needed last season was some extended relief from the injury list. Once that happened, this team flourished big-time.

Let's go.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sturt said:

This team has had practically zero stability in who has been available 1-8 from the very start of the season.

You can't just re-establish last season's chemistry and mojo with happy thoughts, of course.

Have to actually get on the court and practice together and then play together for a substantial number of games in a row.

Cannot presume the worst of this roster with any clear and compelling evidence, for that reason. There has been chronic churning of the rotation and only now has some degree of stability began to settle in.

Add to that how Cam's situation was inherently contorting the second unit's productivity because of his (somewhat understandable) predisposition to try to generate numbers.

Add to that how, clearly, Dre's presence in particular has become so consequential. And Big2O's. And, more recently, Delon's.

Your eyes weren't lyin last season. This roster really was that good that they were very realistically, very plausibly within a misplaced referee's foot of a Finals appearance. And they're a year older, a year wiser, a year more mature. And they're supplemented that roster with a well-regarded PG in Delon instead of the hybrid (though useful) LouWill, and Deing instead of... forgive me for saying it, Bruno... Fernando.

All they needed last season was some extended relief from the injury list. Once that happened, this team flourished big-time.

Let's go.

First time all season I checked the Hawks’ ESPN page and saw “no injured players.”  I could print it out and frame it as an art piece.

We need some bubble wrap that Dre can wear during the game.  I can’t take another extended hiatus from him when he’s flashing Kawhi vibes.  I just can’t.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Who wants to ship out JC?