• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

They are too good to tank. As weird as that sounds. The whole stand pat thing was really dumb imo. This was a flawed team all along and Travis apparently let a 2 week hot streak influence his decisions.

THIS is the valid criticism of TS. When many on the teams the Hawks are competing with made moves (even small ones), the Hawks did nothing and now look foolish for it. It's maddening.

And that would be a HORRIBLE look to Trae, if the team just decided to give up.

You don't add another young player to the roster.  You add quality vets to the roster that know how to play.

Our current wings really have to shoot the ball at a high level, to offset getting exposed on the other end.

That'll keep Trae's shot attempts down like people want.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here's why Nate's offense to always hunt mismatches is problematic. C's switch Williams to guard Hunter, we went to a 1-3 PnR, Hunter isn't a natural screen setter and everything was a foul.

Such an unimaginative offense

Which is why even though Hill sucked, he's a much better fit at the 3 than Hunter with Trae. He sets screens, always cutting and ain't scared to jack up an open 3.

Edited by NBASupes

28 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

And yet somehow the combination of LP and Nate won 41 games in a shortened, 72-game season last year. 🤷‍♂️

It's the same as LP rookie year. He spammed the 1/4 PnR and Nate spammed the 1/5. Defenses adjusted to it. This is our real selves. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I know there is anger about Nate but no coach could win more than 35-38 games with these guys. 

:laugh1: No! The problem is none of the young wings have taken the expected next step. Cam wanted out, Hunter and Bogi keeps getting injured and Huerter is just so inconsistent. Capela is also has lost a step and Nate refuses to play OO more than 16 minutes per game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:laugh1: No! The problem is none of the young wings have taken the expected next step. Cam wanted out, Hunter and Bogi keeps getting injured and Huerter is just so inconsistent. Capela is also has lost a step and Nate refuses to play OO more than 16 minutes per game. 

You can't be consistent without quality touches in a ball movement system unless you developed into a sharp. Someone like Snell was perfect as he didn't need quality touches, just open looks. Same for Hill although he didn't make most of them open looks. Those guys can operate without quality touches much less touches in general. 

You gotta put yourself in the mind of a Basketball player. 

Edited by NBASupes

A lot of yall have these ridiculous expectations. All around guys especially the young ones need to be in rhythm. 

What you guys want is professional shooters like Snell. Who can come into the game cold and hit open 3s and FTs like nothing. Now they generally can't make contested shots but if its wide open, they are money. That takes years of experience. It's hard to find guys like that who aren't vets.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You can't be consistent without quality touches in a ball movement system unless you developed into a sharp. Someone like Snell was perfect as he didn't need quality touches, just open looks. Same for Hill although he didn't make most of them open looks. Those guys can operate without quality touches much less touches in general. 

You gotta put yourself in the mind of a Basketball player. 

Our players are supposed to be more talented than the Snells and Hills. That talent gotta rise and so far they've left a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Our players are supposed to be more talented than the Snells and Hills. That talent gotta rise and so far they've left a lot to be desired.

It takes along time to develop into a professional of your craft. It's extremely rare someone is a professional scorer out the womb like a Trae, Cam Thomas, etc..

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

It takes along time to develop into a professional of your craft. It's extremely rare someone is a professional scorer out the womb like a Trae, Cam Thomas, etc..

...I said previously that Trae spoiled a lot of us so we expect the rest of the young squad to match his instant impact, but what I'm specifically pushing back against is the idea that they're not playing well as wings because they can't get in a rhythm because of Trae. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

...I said previously that Trae spoiled a lot of us so we expect the rest of the young squad to match his instant impact, but what I'm specifically pushing back against is the idea that they're not playing well as wings because they can't get in a rhythm because of Trae. 

I wouldn't say he spoiled us. He spammed shit and when it works. He doesn't stop and we win games alone off of it. He's just that special on that end. It's hard to spam when teams adjust unless your talent is too much and there is nothing they can do to stop it which it isn't for us. This is basically Shaq and Kobe. They can be schemed against but they are so talented and so damn good it was extremely difficult. 

I would love to get Harrison Barnes from Sacramento but his fit with Sabonis has been beautiful. No way they move him.

Finding a defensive minded wing with size who don't need touches and can shoot 3s is really damn hard to find. 

Edited by NBASupes

So.. I'm watching a replay of the game & I kept thinking... Why does our team seem so Lethargic... uninterested & uninspired..... It's absolutely baffling given the situation they're in...Where is the Urgency!!! After the game to see both Trae & Bogi dapping it up with Tatum was just Nauseating....and then it dawned on me... Us Squawkers are actually more passionate about the team than the fkn players. smdh.. 

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

If I am Travis 

I am trading one of Huerter or Bogi. You don't need two PDS three level scorers who can shoot. You just need one. 

Target: A high end 3&D SF. Easier said than done but you got assets to add. Targets: Harrison Barnes who may not be an ideal fit. Keldon Johnson, likely unavailable. Devin Vassell, likely unavailable. 

While I don't want SG 3&D because they are too small for the Tatum, Brown's, Durant's, and Kawhi, Butler's, and LeBron of the world, you gotta start thinking about guys like KCP and Dillon Brooks. Desmond Bane would be ideal but that's not happening. I really like Herbert Jones. Maybe he's available for a couple of 2nds. 

Hunter has to go. He's not a fit even less than Cam. Travis bet on the wrong horse. He f***ed up and there was a reason NO was willing to move down. That deal just helped them get C.J. McCollum. 

Target: A package deal with JC to land a PF of the future. AD is an option even though I think he's washed to a degree. He still provides length and defensive versatility and Trae can get a lot out of him still. 

I am not sure JC is more valuable than AD but I am not sure AD is less valuable. He's a tough eval. Siakam comes to mind but adding Hunter would be an overpay. AD is the main one that comes to mind. 

Ayton goes without saying. Upgrading the 5 position is critical seeing how massive it is to Trae's offensive impact. Since we spammed the 1/5, our offense been in the top 10 since. With the 1/4, we had success in the 2nd half of his rookie year but it was all bad as a sophomore for Trae. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Luka 6'7 and Bron is 6'9 but that doesn't change the fact that they play Bron, Luka or Trae ball. 

Just  saying they can post up, take it to the rack, play bully ball inside on small guards, etc unlike Trae when the shots arent falling.....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here's why Nate's offense to always hunt mismatches is problematic. C's switch Williams to guard Hunter, we went to a 1-3 PnR, Hunter isn't a natural screen setter and everything was a foul.

Such an unimaginative offense

The fact that Nate’s offense is to search for mismatches is honestly not a bad thing but you have to have the right players who can take advantage and we don’t have ALL the right players who can truly take advantage of mismatches.

im sure the first goal is to create an open shot in any offense but because this is the nba and you shouldn’t expect a open shot on every possession….the second option to find mismatches is a smart and reasonable goal. Again nothing wrong with that if you have players who can truly take advantage.

in the same breath I also believe in running your offense no matter what and not looking to find mismatches first. Right now McMillans offense is dictated by the opponents because they do things on purpose like you stated switching Williams on Hunter!

…but THIS IS WHY I don’t understand how or why we have some who believe Trae is responsible for the wings not succeeding when it’s clear that they can’t consistently take advantage of their mismatches and do their part in Nate’s offense.

Only Trae …along with Gallo and Collins (near the baselines) have truly shown they can take advantage of their mismatches at a consistent rate. But Gallo and Collins can’t do it to the level Trae can.

Nates system may not be as flawed as we believe it is….it’s possible it’s the mindset behind the system that gets Nate and the hawks in trouble.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, terrell said:

Just  saying they can post up, take it to the rack, play bully ball inside on small guards, etc unlike Trae when the shots arent falling.....

Wasn’t the thought that Hunter could be a bit of a bully???