• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics

lethalweapon3

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

They are too good to tank. As weird as that sounds. The whole stand pat thing was really dumb imo. This was a flawed team all along and Travis apparently let a 2 week hot streak influence his decisions.

THIS is the valid criticism of TS. When many on the teams the Hawks are competing with made moves (even small ones), the Hawks did nothing and now look foolish for it. It's maddening.

Hope they show they are too good to tank before the year is up.  Ever since they changed the lottery odds a 10th pick has a decent chance to move up.  Imagine getting a top 4 pick.  It's just tempting to pivot to the lottery.  

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hope they show they are too good to tank before the year is up.  Ever since they changed the lottery odds a 10th pick has a decent chance to move up.  Imagine getting a top 4 pick.  It's just tempting to pivot to the lottery.  

I think the range of quality for this team is HUGE. By that, I just mean they can play very well at times and look like a top team in the East and then they can also look like the worst team in the NBA on another night. It's maddening. 

But the tease of what CAN be is enough, I think, to keep them from actually tanking. And honestly, if they can somehow make the 8 team playoff, I think they'll fare very well. 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's not a 3&D player. He's an all around player but he needs high quality touches. He ain't getting that shit with Trae. He barely gets them at all. Also, he likes to survey shit, that shit don't work in a ball movement system. That shit works in a player movement system. Travis drafted a shit ton of players that fit the Warriors, not us. 

Travis needs to draft players who fit TRAE YOUNG and his strengths and weaknesses. 

Maybe he thinks he's still in GS? Or does he really believe Steaph and Trae's games are alike? smh

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member

7 minutes ago, terrell said:

Maybe he thinks he's still in GS? Or does he really believe Steaph and Trae's games are alike? smh

Idk, I think he has a style of player he likes but he didn't invest in his top star being Steph, he invested in Trae Young. The only thing they got in common is being roof raisers with serious range as well as light skin. Steph's floor is much higher than Trae's. 

Edited by NBASupes

29 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

They are too good to tank. As weird as that sounds. The whole stand pat thing was really dumb imo. This was a flawed team all along and Travis apparently let a 2 week hot streak influence his decisions.

THIS is the valid criticism of TS. When many on the teams the Hawks are competing with made moves (even small ones), the Hawks did nothing and now look foolish for it. It's maddening.

Being that I know what was out there, there was nothing available at the deadline that would change our outcome. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The statement, not you personally. You said I spew bullshit, that's me personally. You said I am a bullshitter. Is that correct?

After you made that post.  I said you were basically posting bs. Yes. 

Edited by marco102

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

...and he picks the most inopportune times to call a timeout, he either calls it too late or when we are on a run, and he will take out the hot player. smh.

Its like hes coaching a tanking squad for real...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrell said:

Its like hes coaching a tanking squad for real...

Outside of the playoffs, Nate does everything based on uniformity. So many coaches used to do this back in the days but today they tend to have limited structure ie what we had with LP. Then you got those who love to mix things up like Spo and Nurse. Kerr is all about uniformity too but it works a lot better when the pieces fit.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's his own system. Even players who he considers brothers who played with him in HS like Porter Jr said as much. He can't fit a system when he is the system. Same for Luka and LeBron. 

I don't know the reference of the 2nd paragraph 

Nate took over for LP, slowed the pace and instead of spamming the 1/4 PnR, he spammed the 1/5 and it worked like magic. Teams finally started to adjust in the last couple of weeks in the RS and in the playoffs but it was too late. In the playoffs, the 1/5 PnR stopped working but but Trae elevated his defense damn near by two to three tiers and became a f***ing menace. We never seen Trae take defensive possession by possession serious since the those playoffs. He finally understood the value of him playing good D. 

You add that to the fact that Atlanta is a superior half court team compared to open court team and you have a team that adjust a lot better in the playoffs which is half court based than the regular season. So Atlanta just fit the playoffs a lot better than the regular season but even then, we still don't got enough even for the playoffs. 

I am not blaming him for everything. That's what you Trae stans hear but that's not what I am saying. 

I am saying you need to build around Trae Young strengths and weaknesses 

Stop spending time looking for wings. It's pointless because no matter what, they are never good enough. 

Get the best 4 and 5 that fit the PnR that you can get. If you can get Gobert, go get him. If you can get Ayton, go get him. Go get the best possible PF you can. Just spend all of your capital on PFs and Cs. 

You should be looking for Kenrich Williams types to play the 2 and 3. You shouldn't spend more than 10 million on wings ever as long as Trae is in Atlanta. 

The only thing you need to know from them is 

A. One of them needs to PDS so when teams double, everything doesn't fall apart who can score on 3 levels. Atlanta has two of them, get rid of one. 

B. Do you have size, can you defend at a very high level and can you make open 3. Wes Iwundu would be perfect but he can't shoot. Atlanta needs to start developing this in the Gleague. 

C. Do you demand quality touches? Then you probably aren't a fit then

But Luka and LBJ are 6'8...

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Wings can't play with Trae.  

Or maybe OUR wings just can't hit wide open shots consistently. I think I agree with @JayBirdHawk Nate's offense SUCKS. 

We extended Nate too soon.. Thats why they have to stick with him.. smdh

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Your analogy was terrible in reference, an injured LeBron James? Come on man

We were built to tank for the first two years. That's a fact. The success we had Trae's rookie was a scam. Last year, scam. This year is the reality. If you gotta spam, it's probably some rubbish and likely a scam.

He's about 6'2. He's not that short, he's just very small in stature. Likely 175, tops. 

Travis knew Trae was gonna suck at defense when he traded for him..He had just took a bad defender in JC,  And then he turned around and took kevin Huerter right after Trae (whos just as bad or worse than Trae)...Then in FA he signed 2 or 3 more horrible defenders in Gallo,Bogi, and Lou... I just dont get his vision.. What kind of team is he trying to build?  We need some dogs around Trae..

Edited by terrell