• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics

lethalweapon3

Travis is not gonna hit on every pick.  Getting guys as good as Collins and Huerter at 19 was what got us in the playoffs.  You need a star like Trae with one of your top 10 picks.  His hit rate is pretty good.  Cam showed enough value to net us a future mid round pick.  
The error was understandable after the ECF showing.  He would get a lot of hate for breaking the team up.  

I will give him at least this offseason to make adjustments.  Also, I keep telling myself we can't be as bad as we've played.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Also, wondering if Hunter is impacted by the Kelly Oubre body slam.  Seems like there is a huge drop off in play since that moment.  

I've been trying to make this point.  There's been a huge drop off in his efficiency and play since then. 

Hopefully, the all star break can get him in better rhythm.  It could be this is what he is and I sure hope not.

• Like 2

Just now, LongTimeFan said:

I just looked at the 2022 NBA Draft Prospects list for the first time.  
Does that make me a bad person?  

Nope we are a lottery team 70% into the season. It's only reasonable at this point and with Brooklyn's dropping I do not want to end up in the 9-10 game with them.  KD in a one game playin is scary.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There were only a few people who would respond to my question earlier today.  The Narrative is more important than the facts. 

We were playing a top 8 team that is streaking:

1.  Down a player ... Like him or not JC has strong contributions

2.  Against the refs. 

As I watched the game, I noticed that what little continuity we had was disrupted by ref calls ...  The refs took over the game in the 3rd quarter.  This is not that big of an excuse because if we get to the playoffs, this same treatment is expected. 

However, it can't be ignored.  When we're down a cog and we're doing well in spite of that... to have the refs step in and make a lot of B.S. calls and then to miss some obvious things is very hard to overcome.

3 of the 4 calls against Hunter in the first 2:11 of the third were B.S.   This immediately led to us having to bench him and Tatum finding his game. 

The other thing that helped Tatum find his game was the allowance of Williams to give him a MOVING SCREEN.  This Moving Screen happened on 3 consecutive plays.  Look it up.. Top of the key. Tatum comes in one way... Williams moves with Tatum, he physically blocks the defender like an OL in football would.   Tatum, wide open for the shot.   And then the biggest most clear offense.  Near the end of the qtr, Tatum with the forearm shiver on OO.  Clear offensive foul.   No call. 

I know it's superbowl Sunday but that doesn't mean that you get to play Football on the Basketball court.   These shananigans were enough to let them overtake us and win the game. 

It's one thing if we get beat by guys that are just out hustling us and us missing shots.   But it's something totally different when the other team has the refs helping them to gain the advantage. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I just looked at the 2022 NBA Draft Prospects list for the first time.  
Does that make me a bad person?  

Starting to think we should tank.  Take a shot at getting a ping pong ball to go our way might be better than taking a shot at the play in games.  #StandPat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I honestly hope we don't make the playoffs this year. It will force them to make some big trades in the offseason and use our players plus picks to upgrade the roster.

We have to have 4 good to great defenders on the court with Trae. We have to find another playmaker because Trae is the only one on the roster. We need a solid 2nd option that is a true star.

It is a tall order. We know nothing about our two rookies this year because our coach won't play them, at all, even when guys directly above them are hurt in the rotation. 

I personally think we should focus on obtaining a superstar big. I doubt there will be alot of perimeter players who want to play with Trae. He dominates the ball alot, and plays no defense..... Hopefully, someone who is cool with (like Mitchell) will come play with us.

Edited by terrell

47 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I use every statistical measure I've ever seen from BR, 82, NBA.com which has a lot and its the best available, ESPN, and lastly and what I value the most, the eye test. 

JC is a 25 on offense and a 10 on defense. Note the highest is a 20 which almost no one but Gobert, Russell, Ben Wallace, prime Dwight Howard has reached.

The lowest is a -20. Only player in NBA that I've ever seen here is Trae Young. 

15 is the highest defensive grade. Few get this.

Intangibles are a +5, that means you make everyone around you better and their life eaiser. Some get it for offense, some for defense, some for both. 

Highest grade on offense is 50 wins. Very few have passed this mark. LeBron did it once. MJ a couple times. LeBron is the only player in NBA history to get 65 wins by my chart overall. He won 66 games on a team no one else was worth more than 20 wins. LMAO and insane.

Trae has one of the highest offensive scores in NBA history achieving a rare 50 this year moving up from a 45. His issue is intangibles aren't a positive on offense and it's a rare negative on defense which almost never happens to non bigs. Usually bigs like Enes Freedom, Washed Whiteside, get a -5 wins on intangibles. Its exceptionally hard for an guard to make life hell for others because they generally get cut or don't ever make it to the NBA. 

John doesn't what he's suppose to do. Very good offensive and defensive player. His issue is self creation, size, positional versatility, and handling mismatches due to his lack if size and positional versatility. 

He's a very good player, not the same skill set as Sap but the same value. Sap really grew with adding range. I wonder how Collins will do the same. He's better at this stage of his career than Sap was but I don't know if he has the upside of Sap to get better than he already is. 

This is bullshit. 

LeBron 

Kev

Hunter

JC

Len

Come on son.

You serious? I feel like Randy moss. Cmon man!

Lebrons rookie year roster (35-47) vs trae’s:

McGinnis / Carlos Boozer / Big Z is > Huerter (rookie) / prince / Collins Desmond

Lebrons year 2 (42-40) vs trae’s:

McGinnis / big z / gooden / newble > Collins / huerter / Hunter (rookie) / len especially when we don’t have Collins for 1/3 of the season and Jabari Parker for 1/2 the season.

not sure the point of this debate. Literally 1 of the 2 GOATs had a shit cast and that showed his first 2 years in terms of wins and losses. And the argument is what? My point to the other poster that even a rookie and 2nd year lebron wasn’t elevating that roster. And that’s true. Yet we expect Trae should able to elevate his team the same/more than a top 2 player - ever? 

Meanwhile a guy like steph didn’t have his team with a winning record until year 4. The standard people hold trae to is hilarious. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, terrell said:

I personally think we should focus on obtaining a superstar big. I doubt there will be alot of perimeter players who want to play with Trae. He dominates the ball alot, plays no defense and seems to be an ass. Hopefully, someone who is cool with (like Mitchell) will come play with us.

But what player wants the James Harden experiment?

What makes you say that? 

I do agree, we need a big man that can create outside of lobs and such.  If the Ayton rumors are true, if I were Travis, I'd go get him. 

8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Starting to think we should tank.  Take a shot at getting a ping pong ball to go our way might be better than taking a shot at the play in games.  #StandPat

They are too good to tank. As weird as that sounds. The whole stand pat thing was really dumb imo. This was a flawed team all along and Travis apparently let a 2 week hot streak influence his decisions.

THIS is the valid criticism of TS. When many on the teams the Hawks are competing with made moves (even small ones), the Hawks did nothing and now look foolish for it. It's maddening.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

What makes you say that? 

I do agree, we need a big man that can create outside of lobs and such.  If the Ayton rumors are true, if I were Travis, I'd go get him. 

Yeah Im down for Ayton...I truly believe we need to focus on ELITE BIGS... We need toughness/ hustle/defense at the wings...

Edited by terrell

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

There were only a few people who would respond to my question earlier today.  The Narrative is more important than the facts. 

I couldn't watch the game today.  Even if we got impacted by the refs, we're running out of chances this year.  Just when you think we get some swagger, we lose 4 out of 5. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

Hunter was terrible on the offensive end. He still played excellent man to man defense. 

I don't know why y'all continue to let this team upset y'all.  We are what our record says we are a bad team at this point.  Expect they will be inconsistent and find a way to lose. 

I'm going to tankathon and pray if we don't go on a run that we somehow end up with Jaden Ivey. 

Naw Ivey is my guy.. lol

• Haha 1