• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pacers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Just finished watching. Trae Young is absolutely ridiculous and he is our superstar! 47/3/5. Anyone hear those fans yelling MVP when he was at the line at the end? Love it. 

Outside of playing really well in the first half we came out with no urgency in the 2nd and played around with them. We should have won this thing going away.

A win is a win but teams will come along better than the Pacers and make us pay for not putting them away.

The Blazers tomorrow, let’s get to .500.

Go Hawks! 

ps Why wouldn’t Nique take Lauren’s food offering? :indifferent: I think I drooled 🤤 a little when I saw that grub.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Just finished watching. Trae Young is absolutely ridiculous and he is our superstar! 47/3/5. Anyone hear those fans yelling MVP when he was at the line at the end? Love it. 

Outside of playing really well in the first half we came out with no urgency in the 2nd and played around with them. We should have won this thing going away.

A win is a win but teams will come along better than the Pacers and make us pay for not putting them away.

The Blazers tomorrow, let’s get to .500.

Go Hawks! 

ps Why wouldn’t Nique take Lauren’s food offering? :indifferent: I think I drooled 🤤 a little when I saw that grub.

He was stoking last night. It seemed like everything he shot went in. Excellent shooting display. I wish I could share praise of his defense but it was awful last night. I want to see better on that end against Portland.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

:Nique: "I gave up buns for Lent, squd."

Heh, I drooled a little when I saw Lau.... (heeey, this is a children's site, kg)

Kidding aside, I concur with all you said.  Trae went nuclear in the 1st half (perhaps related to someone on IND's coaching staff?).  But we fell into every trap in the 2nd half.

We didnt take them seriously.   We watched and waited for Trae to score another 30 instead of putting the foot on their neck.  Gave minimal effort needed to win.

We gotta play with killer instinct.

48 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It took everything we had to hang on against an undermanned Pacers team. We are what we are, so nothing should surprise us. 

I hear you but I think it's important to note that effort didn't show we're a bad team.  Certainly showed we have inconsistencies in multiple areas, mainly in our mentality.

Shades of gray .....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

We don’t need no stinking Johnny.  Just kidding (I think). Gallo been ballin.

I had to watch the replay and still missed Trae drop 33 in the first half.  Why Indiana decided to trap after the damage had already been done is just some of the things you encounter with a coach like Carlisle who’s been burnt out for years and who hires a Lloyd Pierce thinking he moves the needle at all.

Thats the hardest I’ve ever seen Trae breathe.  He was working his ass off off the ball in the third quarter, no shame in wearing down a bit.  

I just love when he gets off the ball aggressively.  So many open looks and close out attacks came from it (two blown wide open threes from Dre and Kevin). Vince always talks about it but now we’re even hearing Nique parrot it lol.  

Misdirection cuts, directing the next pass, he was on it. Passing out of traps is where his passing shines the most: defenders’ arms don’t affect him at all because they swipe where his eyes are looking, yet the ball is being fired somewhere totally different.  His skip passes out are so accurate it leaves no room for the defense to recover.  He knows exactly where the ball should go.  He processes whether he can split the trap or get off so quickly.  It gives the secondary handlers more room to attack, gets the ball moving from side to side, and gives him an opportunity to get the ball back later in the clock for more sustained possessions.  The team is in better position to hit the offensive glass.  Sh*t is just a win win. No coincidence these last two games the Hawks’ assist to turn has been 2.5:1; normally it’s only 2:1.  7 players in double figures.  Bogi and Kevin play with so much more confidence when Trae empowers them to make plays, hockey assists for everyone.  

When he plays off more he’s more engaged defensively too.  Gambled for a steal that didn’t hurt us.  He got over a screen great in the third quarter helping lead to a stop.  He’s starting to realize one gritty defensive play can be the difference in the game.

Not tripping off the Pacers comeback Halliburton been peaking lately, we all know he’s a player.  Brogdon and McConnell are just countertops under his ceiling.

I hate we gave up so many points but f it.  Delon staying focused (+2) even though his coach hates him   OO should be back near .200 WS/48 where he needs to be.  Where we’d be without his rugged play I don’t wanna imagine.  Sweet Lou when he’s on the court, nasty ass over cooked drumettes with the steroid meat in old grease when he isn’t.

2 down 2 mo to go Leggo.

Having said all of that, the team wasn't better when he was off the ball.  Trae was -14 in the 2nd half, after being +16 in the first half.

He scored 14 2nd half points on 4 - 7 FG ( 6 - 6 FT ), but only tallied 1 assist the entire half.  The FG% dropped below 50% in the 2nd half, while the turnovers increased.

With Trae off the ball, the 1 - 5 pick and roll completely disappeared.

We were outscored 69 - 54 in the 2nd half.

Literally everything you explained in your post, while maybe ideal for most teams, was far less effective for us, because our secondary guys weren't getting it done.

If it weren't for Trae's late scoring, some timely buckets by De'Andre, and about 90 more seconds on the clock, we more than likely lose that Pacers game.

Until we get a capable playmaking wing, Trae off the ball is a BAD IDEA for the Hawks.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Having said all of that, the team wasn't better when he was off the ball.  Trae was -14 in the 2nd half, after being +16 in the first half.

He scored 14 2nd half points on 4 - 7 FG ( 6 - 6 FT ), but only tallied 1 assist the entire half.  The FG% dropped below 50% in the 2nd half, while the turnovers increased.

Literally everything you explained in your post, while maybe ideal for most teams, was far less effective for us, because our secondary guys weren't getting it done.

If it weren't for Trae's late scoring, some timely buckets by De'Andre, and about 90 more seconds on the clock, we more than likely lose that Pacers game.

Until we get a capable playmaking wing, Trae off the ball is a BAD IDEA for the Hawks.

Trae off the ball will always be a bad idea and everyone in the NBA knows that.

11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Basically all this.  Also, want to hear something funny?  Indiana seems to think Haliburton single-handedly shut Trae down in the 2nd half.  Smh.

I guess he was double-teaming and trapping him ... alone?  Weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Basically all this.  Also, want to hear something funny?  Indiana seems to think Haliburton single-handedly shut Trae down in the 2nd half.  Smh.

I guess he was double-teaming and trapping him ... alone?  Weird.

Lol. Yep

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

A win is a win and all that, but damn it's become a matter of fact we will blow a late lead against virtually any team in the NBA. 

There's value in learning how to win close games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ball moves faster than people do.  Got to get a wide open look when they are committing like that.

Exactly.  It seems like they know that's what they should do but they don't wanna do it because they think that's what the defense wants or something. 

Just a weird overall hesitation.  Same when we face any press too.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

He held Trae under 50 points.  Pretty impressive night if you ask me.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e472svsjjz9i43ouei5td

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

1.  COVID

2.  She had bitten into it. 

3.  He's diabetic. 

4.  Nique watches everything he eats.

Nique probably went out and had some red pepper humas, savoy cabbage, roasted carrots and toasted pita bread with a nice pinot noir  (72')..

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ball moves faster than people do.  Got to get a wide open look when they are committing like that.

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Exactly.  It seems like they know that's what they should do but they don't wanna do it because they think that's what the defense wants or something. 

Just a weird overall hesitation.  Same when we face any press too.

They need to be more decisive.

• Thanks 3