Welcome to Atlanta, Dejounte Murray (Woj)

NBASupes

4 hours ago, Wretch said:

I'm a little bummed out about Huerter, but I'm also excited for Murray.  I suspect that's where most everyone who likes Kev is at.  I know some folks were never high on him, and that's cool.  Personally, I loved everything he brought to the table - especially his attitude and how well he meshed with the team.  None of us believed he was a #2 or #3 option and I personally never overlooked his flaws.  I just never had any real complaints - he gave what I expected every game.

I understand cap flexibility, the need to get better defensively, the logjam at SG now that we have Murray, and the fact that the market for Bogi is bad.  I get it and I also understand that there may be another move to follow this up as suggested by an insider.  I still hate to see Kev go.  Though I've moved on.

As for Murray, I'm putting it out there right now that people underestimate how impactful this move was.  Offensively, Trae and Murray both excel at drawing the defense.  This is going to open up the floor and cause serious problems for the opps.  If Murray can reliably hit spot ups, the East is in trouble.  Defensively, things are looking just as good and I personally think that Trae is going to step up and surprise people. 

We're about to have a GREAT year.

Well, I had a lot of grumpy moments last year, but I'm actually an optimist and positive thinker.  Is it crazy that I think Justin Holliday might give us more of what we need compared to Huerter?  He's more of 3, better D, and one of the guys I follow on Twitter said he launches 7.5 threes a game at around 38%.  With Murray on the team, we really need a 3&D guy to back up Hunter, especially if JJ starts playing backup minutes at the 4. 
The second unit looks like Murray, Bogi, Holliday, JJ, and Okongwu.  All of those guys can shoot except Okongwu, and then you have two lob threats.  

Murray is lethal with his mid range shot.  Better at drives than Trae.  It's gonna be a nightmare for defenses.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Well, I had a lot of grumpy moments last year, but I'm actually an optimist and positive thinker.  Is it crazy that I think Justin Holliday might give us more of what we need compared to Huerter?  He's more of 3, better D, and one of the guys I follow on Twitter said he launches 7.5 threes a game at around 38%.  With Murray on the team, we really need a 3&D guy to back up Hunter, especially if JJ starts playing backup minutes at the 4. 
The second unit looks like Murray, Bogi, Holliday, JJ, and Okongwu.  All of those guys can shoot except Okongwu, and then you have two lob threats.  

Murray is lethal with his mid range shot.  Better at drives than Trae.  It's gonna be a nightmare for defenses.  

The only asterisk here with Holiday is he is ageing gonna be his age 33-34 season with us. I'm still hopeful he can come in and play some defense hit some shots though. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The only asterisk here with Holiday is he is ageing gonna be his age 33-34 season with us. I'm still hopeful he can come in and play some defense hit some shots though. 

He only has to play a season or two while guys like Griffin and JJ develop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

He only has to play a season or two while guys like Griffin and JJ develop.

Yes of course, but It's no sure thing he can do that this year or the next at the same level he was doing so the last several years at age 33. It's twilight years for most NBA guys. Look at Gallo's drop in production. I'm hopeful we can get another season of "peak"ish Holiday, but beyond that probably not. Regardless we probably would be good to add one more guy in case he falls off a cliff. 

The good thing about adding baby boy 👦 aka Dejounte is that Trae can have an 8-18 fg night but still dish a bit and we fundamentally kick a team like the Pistons butts by double digits. Taking care of crap 💩 teams is underrated. 

Dejounte expands our margin for error or misses greatly.

LeBum is right about one thing. 2K don’t lie.

Ps Ivey had his “welcome to the nba” :deke: by JC!  Ivey 3-16 fg.

1376ABB2-ADB1-4165-9EEF-798F374323FE.jpeg

FD81BD2E-973B-4F03-9119-DB420E5C243E.jpeg

E05F5FA9-0D17-4D8F-88C2-A5FE0953E6FC.jpeg

6773DBB1-7838-4532-B861-5956CCEDD021.jpeg

6AF81923-4CB2-4E40-B90B-5309D78CD24D.jpeg

37E89123-60A1-40B2-B4D4-1682022EFE68.jpeg

E92D2388-92DB-4D5C-8478-775A86DB61FC.jpeg

DA84D98A-52B0-4CDA-BDF2-1EB1A36EC849.jpeg

CD97AE01-14B3-4E73-A96B-1B1923840E78.jpeg

0E9B7867-A732-47C5-BFD2-F4E07CB58296.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

That was my hope - especially after the Huerter salary dump trade.  If I had to pick, I’d much rather keep JC between the two.  Let’s hope for a healthy season from the gutty JC and that he continues to show some new skills whether that is a handle, passing, D, or some other new element or more likely refinement to his game.  You’ve got lots of big fans on this board, JC!

Unless they are dead set on moving him before the season, it would seem to make more sense to keep him on the roster until the trade deadline in the hopes he could increase his trade value. In addition to hopefully another attractive player hits the trade market by then. 

While still possible, I would be fairly surprised to see JC finish the season with us though. 

• Like 1

This backcourt is fun. It’s kind of cool to see how we match up with other teams in the league. The Mavs are always a rival cuz of Luka. With Murray checking Luka, he kept him in check. :er:

40 for Trae 30 for DM= 70 points for DejounTrae! :laugh1: Love that name btw.

6C5F0A1C-A59D-4060-9CCE-08F71480BA5A.jpeg

36B1A8C5-118D-49DC-BEF2-B421246B8F53.jpeg

98F44E24-CBDE-4775-A534-5FC611C36C32.jpeg

C84A201A-F732-4DAB-B4CF-D9326BE042F0.jpeg

0FB1E29D-C757-4FF5-B8E2-59C2A0A05FE9.jpeg

CF483390-437A-495D-9588-64076E15FB09.jpeg

11 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

J Holiday’s contract is expiring. I doubt we have long term plans, or any plans beyond this season for him.

He is a stop gap like Snell, TLC, and **sigh** Wright, just to fill out the roster. I wouldn’t worry about his age or ability too much. That won’t be our problem after this season.

The issue is Nate, he has to realize the value in getting Griffin minutes so that he’s ready to crack the rotation in 23-24.

Justin Holiday getting extremely underrated on here. He has the ability to help us for the next two to three seasons. He's a late bloomer and those tend to play later into their careers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Justin Holiday getting extremely underrated on here. He has the ability to help us for the next two to three seasons. He's a late bloomer and those tend to play later into their careers. 

I hope you're right.  I can't think of too many 3&D wings being really effective in their mid 30s?  Just checked a few i could think of Raja Bell, Tony Allen (D&D), Barbosa all petered out around 33-35.   

But they don't have Justin's skinny frame.  Tayshaun Prince was basically done at this age though  

But I"m a firm believer it's more about games played than age and Justin wasn't grinding nba games until almost 25 it looks like

• Like 2

Nate seems to be a nice person.  As a coach he's low on my totem pole.

Nate is between a rock and a hard place:

This upcoming season, win or else!

This season, play the rookies & youth or else!

Nate likes veteran players.  If he really had his druthers he wouldn't play anything but veterans.  He doesn't trust our youth.  Maybe with good reason.  But, they can't get better and gain experience unless they actually play in the games.  Practice is different.  It's not game experience.  Sitting on the bench, watching, doesn't count.  Actual live game experience is needed.  

🧑‍🔧

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I seriously doubt we retain him after this season, regardless of how well he plays. 

Young and Murray want to play together.  This means, on the floor together.  If this is true, they must rest together also.  Who plays while they sit out?  They can't go 48 minutes.

🧑‍🔧

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Aaron Holiday is more likely to get minutes than Justin. We actually went to the trouble to sign Aaron. Plus he's younger. 

Very possible he only signed here because he knew his brother was coming.  

I take it as an unknown whether we would resign either Holiday after this season.  We'll see how they do and how they like playing here.  They are both young enough we could potentially resign them on a cheap deal if things go well for both parties.

As far as minutes, I think Aaron and Justin are both going to have real roles in the rotation.  I can see it going either way as far as which one gets more minutes but if pressed I'd bet on Justin getting more minutes given the time I would project to be available at at the SG/SF spots for Justin and the time I'd project available at PG for Aaron (and the minutes they have played each season over the last several years).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Very possible he only signed here because he knew his brother was coming.  

I take it as an unknown whether we would resign either Holiday after this season.  We'll see how they do and how they like playing here.  They are both young enough we could potentially resign them on a cheap deal if things go well for both parties.

As far as minutes, I think Aaron and Justin are both going to have real roles in the rotation.  I can see it going either way as far as which one gets more minutes but if pressed I'd bet on Justin getting more minutes given the time I would project to be available at at the SG/SF spots for Justin and the time I'd project available at PG for Aaron (and the minutes they have played each season over the last several years).

How much is Aaron's contract? Sometimes that's a telling sign.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Young and Murray want to play together.  This means, on the floor together.  If this is true, they must rest together also.  Who plays while they sit out?  They can't go 48 minutes.

🧑‍🔧

I think the ideal would be to mix them.   Maybe something like this if you assume 32 mpg for each of them:

They play together for 24 minutes per game.  They play apart for 8 minutes per game.  That is 24 + 2*8 = 40 minutes when one or both are on the floor.  During the 8 minutes when neither is on the floor, Aaron Holiday is running point with Bogi beside him (or Justin or Griffin, etc.).

• Like 2