• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Just now, kg01 said:

Anyone that thinks Trae is the reason we lost last night is a person poised to blame him for every loss anyway.

Not just last night.. hes been pretty ass all season..I expect better from a max player.

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok, Utah can play. Will Hardy can coach. Lauri Marrk is gonna be an all star this year. (Is he on a contract year?) He owner JC pretty much all night. JC needs to find a role. He seemed to have major issues guarding this guy.

The first few plays they ran against us with the Marrk curling action, wow, the speed of Lauri for a 7 footer is nuts, then he goes crazy from outside.

IN THE PAST, they said a great defense was the key to winning. But clubs in the league don’t all play defense every night and Will Hardy and Utah found a loophole. They just run a crazy efficient offense that just keeps coming. Granted our defense wasn’t making stops but give them credit they were HOT 🥵.

Honestly, this was on everyone. JC and Hunter seem to go through the motions. We get beat off pick and rolls because our bigs get lost it seems.

Outside of a few spectacular passes, Trae wasn’t Trae tonight and hasn’t been all year. Slowest start of his career it seems but I don’t mind this. It’s a long season.

Team loss on us. Dejounte might have been the only one to show up. But this one is on the whole squad.

Malik’s homecoming was nothing nice. He was on. WE NEED BOGI AND SOME THREES. JHOL is a hit or miss. We need consistent three point makers like Bogi. 

TRADE: UTAH SENDS WILL HARDY AND LAURI MARRKANEN TO THE HAWKS.

HAWKS SEND NATE MCMILLAN AND JC TO THE JAZZ.

🏃‍♀️ Inkid it’s a long season but wow, Utah better get rid of half its roster if it want a shot at Wemby.

Go Hawks!

JC has trouble guarding ALOT of guys..

Id make that trade all day..

Never get too high or low…- a wise man

82 game season. 

Building chemistry 🧪 with a new backcourt mate takes more than 10-11 games, let’s give them till New Years. Once March hits, we should be in stride. Remember Trae is learning to share. It takes some adjusting. More games together will help.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae is in one of the worst shooting slumps of his career. Fortunately, we have DJM to pick up the slack. Last night though, we just didn't execute in the 4th quarter.

Trae is getting paid like an All-NBA player now. He simply cannot have so many poor shooting nights like this anymore.( If youre off, dont shoot it 30 freakin times)..

As a fanbase, we need to expect more from him.

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Never get too high or low…- a wise man

82 game season. 

Building chemistry 🧪 with a new backcourt mate takes more than 10-11 games, let’s give them till New Years. Once March hits, we should be in stride. Remember Trae is learning to share. It takes some adjusting. More games together will help.

Learning to share in year 5 is an indictment on Trae, Coaches and Travis..... 

They built Hawks like the Falcons did with Michael Vick. One man show for too long..Bad habits are hard to break..

Edited by terrell

17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae is in one of the worst shooting slumps of his career. Fortunately, we have DJM to pick up the slack. Last night though, we just didn't execute in the 4th quarter.

Or the 1st, for that matter.  That's where the game was lost, imho.

On a separate note, Jollins has been really good defensively all year.  Him letting Lauri go off should be seen as the outlier it is.  Historically Jollins has dominated that matchup.  Not sure what happened last night.  Markkk has been playing well all year though.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Lauri just isn't really guardable by our team right now.  We don't have bigs quick enough to play him tight on the perimeter and that team has so much outside shooting that we can't guard them if they move the ball well.  Same story as last year frankly.  People call the Jazz a team of very good role players but imo that is disingenuous.  They're a team full of good basketball players, none of which are marketed heavily by the NBA or the Jazz organization.

Last night is over.  Trae played pretty bad, which was one of the reasons we lost, but Hunter/Murray/Griff just missed too many good looks from 3.  We stayed competitive regardless and had a chance to win against the number 1 team in the West.  Today is a new game, and if we win, we will be 8-4, which will be an amazing start considering we have mostly a new group of guys still building chemistry together.

• Like 2

Well we just played the 2 best teams in the NBA back to back and we won one and lost one and the one we lost we could have won. While Bogi is still out our team is having a shooting slump and we are still building chemistry with many new players we are still in the mix with the best teams in the NBA.

I'd say it's been a good start to the season and it is encouraging how well we are doing while still working through some very obvious issues right now.

When we are clicking we can be the best team in the NBA, even right now on any given night we are in the mix for that.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Just rewatched the end of third through the end.  I've got no issue saying Trae played poorly and he made some bad decisions in the fourth but there is blame to go around. 

OO did basically nothing in the second half.  Routinely beat by their bigs, no rebounding.  A lot of wandering around aimlessly 

Our bench didn't score a single basket in the second half in 32 combined minutes.  And it wasn't like they were killing it defensively.  

JC played well and i saw a lot of folks wondering why we didn't go to him more but if you can't get post position on Mike Conley then your usage won't be that great.

Hunter looks great in the box score.  but those were quiet points.  

Trae/Murray just did their thing like they usually do they just weren't great last night and didn't get any whistles.  They both shot 50% from the field in the second half.  

It was just not a good night in general.  Let's beat philly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae is struggling shooting to start the season...again! If my math is correct.......

Last season in his 1st 10 games:

33.6% from the field, 25.5% from 3

This season in his 1st 10 games:

37.8% from the field, 31.5% from 3

Do I like that he is struggling, no!

Am I worried - not yet!

Unto Philly!

I wonder if shooting is just not a huge part of his offseason work(?)  Either way, I am not very worried that he will get it together.  His playmaking and offensive leadership have gotten even better so far

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae is struggling shooting to start the season...again! If my math is correct.......

Last season in his 1st 10 games:

33.6% from the field, 25.5% from 3

This season in his 1st 10 games:

37.8% from the field, 31.5% from 3

Do I like that he is struggling, no!

Am I worried - not yet!

Unto Philly!

We have 4 years of data that says Trae won't continue this pace.  I'm not going to overreact after 10 games.  So many of his floaters are just rimming out, I'm confident those will fall.  We are also 7-4 and Bogi hasn't even played yet, and lots of growing pains with the youngsters.  If Trae is anywhere close to his normal efficiency we are probably 9-1 right now.  That tells me this team can be super legit and many of my worries about the DJM/Trae fit are going away.  We can actually win games when Trae doesn't go off which hardly ever happened before.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I wonder if shooting is just not a huge part of his offseason work(?)  Either way, I am not very worried that he will get it together.  His playmaking and offensive leadership have gotten even better so far

i think it's more about getting in a rhythm, muscle memory and conditioning.  How teams are playing him and how the refs are calling games - how much contact are they allowing on the perimeter or inside.