• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No sir.  I need you to point out specifically in this game, how Trae's "bad defense" contributed to this loss.

We all know that overall, he's a bad defender.  But this cannot be the default "go to", whenever the Hawks lose a game because they can't stop anybody.

Nate is normally putting Trae guarding the man in the corner. On rare occasions, he'll have to guard one of the smaller guards.

We can literally watch every shot attempt the Jazz made in this game.  There are definitely plays in which Trae got scored on.  But as you watch these made shots, tell me what do you see?

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

It's the default go to because he's the worst defender in NBA history and impossible to defend with. Damn near made Kevin look like a scrub on that end which we see ain't the case in Sacramento 

I love Trae but his stans are far too delusional. His defense is the WOAT. His shooting been awful this year, part of the reason his WAR and other key stats where Trae is our best by a mile is down to average role player levels. While Trae is still an elite playmaker. When his shooting is terrible, so is his offense and his shot selection starts looking worse than Westbrook and Josh Smith. 

I know dickriding is the thing for Trae stans but you gotta see, he's killing us out there. He's hurting the team more than anyone not named Justin Holiday. 

The biggest issue I see with other than missing some threes he normally makes is he cannot handle contact this year in the paint or outside of it. It's like he's a more crafty verison of who he was his first couple of months in the NBA as a rookie. To me, he's probably having his best playmaking season of his career. He's actually running the offense better than previous years and our turnovers are down because of it. 

I do also think the lack of shooters around him outside of Dre is impacting him. That said, he needs recognized when he has a shooter out there like Griffin. Murray struggles with this more than Trae but both gotta do this.

We just got inconsistent chemistry is also what I see. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We all know that overall, he's a bad defender.  But this cannot be the default "go to", whenever the Hawks lose a game because they can't stop anybody.

Oh But it is.  I don't know if some of these guys even watch the game.  I think they have their responses already type and they just copy and past them in.   Trae got a steal yesterday and for the most part stayed with his man.   Utah just hit good shots. 

• Like 2

Several someones had this opponent sailing down the river toward the #1 draft pick next summer.  No thought of anything different.  Did no one know about Larry Bird Jr. being their leader?  Hiding in plain sight, this young blonde leader has them in the #1 position in the west.

The Atlanta Hawks tried to put their best foot forward.  They began the game by attempting sending their opponent to the line.  Big mistake.  They were perfect there and pulled away.  They kept this lead until the Hawks went on a brief run, late in the game.  Swapping scores late, with the lead being 2 to 4 points.  Two free throws and Atlanta was down only 2 again.  Suddenly, it was a 10 point gap.  End of story.  Now we face the 76ers back to back.

High school football gsme tonight, state playoffs.  Falcons play tonight.  Hawks play tonight.  Three games to keep up with, all going on at the same time!

🥰

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LMAO . . this fan base has gone from . . . . "is this the best Hawks team ever assembled" . . to . . "these next games are going to be tough".

Ya'll will run yourselves crazy thinking every game in a 82 game season is life and death.

It's a lot of tension establishing who we are as a team.  People were ready to cancel Jalen after 4 games when they spent a whole year begging for him to get PT. 

We had all the momentum shifting our way, but gave it back at the end of the 3rd.  The bench needs some seasoning for sure.  I still want to believe Bogi will make a huge difference when he returns. 

Jalen is going to be a work in progress.  I'm not sure if or when he will turn the corner this year.  You can see he hesitates and tries not to make a mistake vs trying to make a play.  Cam shot like 22% his first 3 months playing starter minutes.  Trae started slow.  The FO decided to let Jalen play, the fans that were begging to see it should expect growing pains.

Trae needs to play better.  I still believe his career stats over the past 10 games.  One difference is he's normally had Huerter or Bogi to kick out to and be a perimeter threat.  It does seem that teams are better prepared for his tendency it's hurting his drives and floaters.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

It's a lot of tension establishing who we are as a team.  People were ready to cancel Jalen after 4 games when they spent a whole year begging for him to get PT. 

We had all the momentum shifting our way, but gave it back at the end of the 3rd.  The bench needs some seasoning for sure.  I still want to believe Bogi will make a huge difference when he returns. 

Jalen is going to be a work in progress.  I'm not sure if or when he will turn the corner this year.  You can see he hesitates and tries not to make a mistake vs trying to make a play.  Cam shot like 22% his first 3 months playing starter minutes.  Trae started slow.  The FO decided to let Jalen play, the fans that were begging to see it should expect growing pains.

Trae needs to play better.  I still believe his career stats over the past 10 games.  One difference is he's normally had Huerter or Bogi to kick out to and be a perimeter threat.  It does seem that teams are better prepared for his tendency it's hurting his drives and floaters.   

Teams aren't respecting our shooters, and they are clogging the lane to guard against the floater.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Or Harrison Ingram, if Stanford alum Landry Fields has a say, That all assumes teams like Utah aren’t hording all the picks by then.

Or wait a couple years and get Peja’s son! :spiteful:. I’ve had my eye on that kid since 1982-Lebron :er:

Nice thread lw3.

Just finished watching the game. Wow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No sir.  I need you to point out specifically in this game, how Trae's "bad defense" contributed to this loss.

Nate is normally putting Trae guarding the man in the corner. On rare occasions, he'll have to guard one of the smaller guards.

We can literally watch every shot attempt the Jazz made in this game.  There are definitely plays in which Trae got scored on.  But as you watch these made shots, tell me what do you see?

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

For one, he sucks the life out of ball movement on offense...

That moment he ignored the time out and tried to beat 3 guys was just awful....

You can't be a top 20 player stinking it up like this. Trae has had way more bad games then good ones this year. Consistency of a 6th man so far.

And he was killing us on defense. He's wasnt even trying to fight through screens forcing everyone to scramble to help which leads to wide open shots (exactly like that one to end the half). Being physically limited is fine, but you have to be more competitive that that. 

Most of 1st half He was literally just standing there like it was a group project he expects others to do all the work on.   smh

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In a game we lost by 7, Trae plays 35 minutes and registers a +8.   I think the 13 non Trae minutes of the game may have been as much or more of a problem as Trae's D in this one.  

Both can be true...But hes our max guy.. To whom much is given, much will be required

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In a game we lost by 7, Trae plays 35 minutes and registers a +8.   I think the 13 non Trae minutes of the game may have been as much or more of a problem as Trae's D in this one.  

I commend yall for responding to the Trae slander.  I just gloss over it, especially when it comes from folks that are clearly agenda-ing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In part, his defense was killing us but his playmaking was still elite and he kept turnovers to a minimum statistically although that block shot was like a turnover. Just because the 2nd unit struggles, doesn't mean Trae played well when he didn't. +/- isn't always correct. There has been games where Trae had a negative but played exceptionally well. 

14 minutes ago, terrell said:

For one, he sucks the life out of ball movement on offense...

That moment he ignored the time out and tried to beat 3 guys was just awful....

You can't be a top 20 player stinking it up like this. Trae has had way more bad games then good ones this year. Consistency of a 6th man so far.

And he was killing us on defense. He's wasnt even trying to fight through screens forcing everyone to scramble to help which leads to wide open shots (exactly like that one to end the half). Being physically limited is fine, but you have to be more competitive that that. 

Most of 1st half He was literally just standing there like it was a group project he expects others to do all the work on.   smh

I never seen stans so delusional. Almost every knowledgeable basketball fan is going at Trae's neck for last night's game but come to HS and it's the Trae's EMT in emergency form for their nut hugging performance. 

Grant Shirley

Brad Rowland

Bret McGee

Kris Willis

Posters like 

NBASupes 

Terrell

What more do you need?

Edited by NBASupes
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

In part, his defense was killing us but his playmaking was still elite and he kept turnovers to a minimum statistically although that block shot was like a turnover. Just because the 2nd unit struggles, doesn't mean Trae played well when he didn't. +/- isn't always correct. There has been games where Trae had a negative but played exceptionally well. 

I'm not making the case that he played well.   Just that we had more than a few guys absolutely stink up the court.   Starting with guys "guarding" Lauri. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I commend yall for responding to the Trae slander.  I just gloss over it, especially when it comes from folks that are clearly agenda-ing. 

Trae shouldnt be above criticism.. I criticise whoever playing like shit.. Especially if its our highest paid player..("superstar")

• Like 2

Ok, Utah can play. Will Hardy can coach. Lauri Marrk is gonna be an all star this year. (Is he on a contract year?) He owner JC pretty much all night. JC needs to find a role. He seemed to have major issues guarding this guy.

The first few plays they ran against us with the Marrk curling action, wow, the speed of Lauri for a 7 footer is nuts, then he goes crazy from outside.

IN THE PAST, they said a great defense was the key to winning. But clubs in the league don’t all play defense every night and Will Hardy and Utah found a loophole. They just run a crazy efficient offense that just keeps coming. Granted our defense wasn’t making stops but give them credit they were HOT 🥵.

Honestly, this was on everyone. JC and Hunter seem to go through the motions. We get beat off pick and rolls because our bigs get lost it seems.

Outside of a few spectacular passes, Trae wasn’t Trae tonight and hasn’t been all year. Slowest start of his career it seems but I don’t mind this. It’s a long season.

Team loss on us. Dejounte might have been the only one to show up. But this one is on the whole squad.

Malik’s homecoming was nothing nice. He was on. WE NEED BOGI AND SOME THREES. JHOL is a hit or miss. We need consistent three point makers like Bogi. 

TRADE: UTAH SENDS WILL HARDY AND LAURI MARRKANEN TO THE HAWKS.

HAWKS SEND NATE MCMILLAN AND JC TO THE JAZZ.

🏃‍♀️ Inkid it’s a long season but wow, Utah better get rid of half its roster if it want a shot at Wemby.

Go Hawks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, macdaddy said:

I'm not making the case that he played well.   Just that we had more than a few guys absolutely stink up the court.   Starting with guys "guarding" Lauri. 

A lot of times those guys has to rotation because someone in particular kept getting beat off the dribble and off the ball. It was almost like we couldn't get a stop outside of the 3rd quarter 

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Lauri look like KG compared to JC.. for 8 mill a year less.. Good grief.. Fields gonna have to correct some of these Schlenk mistakes.. 

Edited by terrell