• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Lakers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Here's the plan and it worked.

The Hawks are short handed in the defensive department.  Hunter and Capela are both out.  That leaves only two other defenders to worry about.  0017 and Collins.  Get one of them in early foul trouble and we can easily occupy the other one.

True, Hawks scored enough.  Defense evaporated.  The King responded.  His finest game of the year.  What was the plans for Atlanta?  What ever they were, they didn't work, did they!

Missed free throws cost us the previous game.  Couldn't say that about this one.  Missed six.  Lost by nine points.  Missing:  One more big defender.

:smug:

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Nate needs to go because he's basically given up as a coach but to be fair to him he hasn't had a healthy team literally all season and we're almost half way through the season.

Unfortunately, this is Nate's plight.  Every team.. Every time he coaches, Injuries follow. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

The normies of Atlanta tend to not be the smartest. So I suspect they will continue to fool themselves into thinking Trae is this huge star.

Tree needs a roster full of submissive players who will just take what they are given offensively and will do the little things.

Despite what he might say, he doesn't want to share ball handling and quality touches with other wings.

He almost needs a 2001 Philly cast with better shooting, but that kind of team out of date.

This is a low risk offense that keeps the ball in the hands of its best playmakers.  Running an offense like this promotes low turnovers, as well as isolation, pick and roll, and catch and shoot opportunities.  If you want an offense with quality touches, we'll have to go away from the heavy pick and roll sets that we run, and have more people touching and passing the ball. 

There's a double edged sword in that though. You'll get more ball movement, but you may not get better quality shots. You also may get more turnovers.  When you run a ball movement offense, your players have to be able to make the correct or easy pass that leads to points.

When you look at the Hawks, our leaders only pass the ball 48 times per game ( Trae 48.3 passes and Dejounte 47.9 passes ).  With what I listed above, and hardly any secondary movement of ANY player off the ball, this is no surprise.  Here are Trae's passes per game since he's been in the league.

• 2018 - 19:   55.3
  • 2019 - 20:   53.3
  • 2020 - 21:   55.3
  • 2021 - 22:   51.5
  • 2022 - 23:   48.3

I'm going to leave this right here, because there is A LOT of interesting numbers about the Hawks as a team.  I may start a separate thread about this. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, terrell said:

Well what did he think was going to happen? Murray is who HE wanted..

Nate made it seem like the move was ALL on Trae during his interviews this summer..

Murray was the best he could get. Embiid is who he wanted.

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

They were winning. The highlight factory rarely had a losing season since drafting Horford and the attendance was in the 60s and low 70s. The Horford Bud ball Hawks had a high on 88 with an average of 68 for attendance during the Bud era. 

Hawks current ticket prices are really expensive and they have an attendance of 104.8 which is 2nd to the Mavs. 

The 90s Hawks used to have attendance in the 60s. This has never been a city that has supported winning, just entertainers. The Omni was rocking when Nique was here but even then, attendance slipped as Nique aged.

And I'll say this about the Highlight Factory squad.  They were MUCH MORE athletic than this group, and had the tendency to play excellent defense at times.  Everybody but Bibby could defend.  And to me, Trae is a more active defender than Bibby ever was.

Josh Smith in a 1 - 4 pick and roll with Trae would be outstanding, especially with Smith's ability to make the pass to an open guy.  

Al Horford in a 1 - 5 pick and pop with Trae, could lead to a plethora of open looks for Al.

And the ability to give the ball to JJ in crunch time, to either make the play himself, or throw it out to a wide open Trae, would be lethal as well.

Even Marvin Williams was more than solid, and at worst, equal to DeAndre Hunter.

And we had 6th men like Flip Murray and Jamal Crawford providing offense off the bench.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Murray was the best he could get. Embiid is who he wanted.

Embiid wasnt available..That was a pipedream...

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And I'll say this about the Highlight Factory squad.  They were MUCH MORE athletic than this group, and had the tendency to play excellent defense at times.  Everybody but Bibby could defend.  And to me, Trae is a more active defender than Bibby ever was.

Josh Smith in a 1 - 4 pick and roll with Trae would be outstanding, especially with Smith's ability to make the pass to an open guy.  

Al Horford in a 1 - 5 pick and pop with Trae, could lead to a plethora of open looks for Al.

And the ability to give the ball to JJ in crunch time, to either make the play himself, or throw it out to a wide open Trae, would be lethal as well.

Even Marvin Williams was more than solid, and at worst, equal to DeAndre Hunter.

And we had 6th men like Flip Murray and Jamal Crawford providing offense off the bench.

More athletic, hell yeah. That squad was athletic af

Smoove would drive Trae Crazy and Smoove ain't no PnR player at all. Smoove and Trae would never work offensively.

Horford would work with anyone. He would obviously help this squad

Iso Joe would actually work because he can play without Quality touches. 

Marvin is better offensively but Hunter value is the fact that he can defend four positions plus big wings well. Marvin defensively was good at defending 4s but he lacked defensive versatility. We had to use Smoove who lacks lateral quickness to guard big wings because Marvin couldn't do it at all. 

Jamal would be so helpful if on this squad. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

why not all water can always be wet

So sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you, but a lot of us are well aware that not all water is always wet. What secondary schools did you and Jay attend? Someone needs to do something about that.

Here. It's not too late to learn.

2022-12-31_20-40-51.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

So sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you, but a lot of us are well aware that not all water is always wet. What secondary schools did you and Jay attend? Someone needs to do something about that.

2022-12-31_20-40-51.png

image.gif.5216606255699057e5dfe39e823d1caf.gif

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
On 12/31/2022 at 10:06 AM, Spud2nique said:

Run this by Sturt, I’m sure he might explain why not all water can always be wet. :huh:

Spud, my friend, you seem mad. But c'mon. Do I make the rules? No, I don't make the rules. I just know what they are, and don't pretend they don't exist. So, your anger is misplaced. Not my fault. 🙂

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not my fault. 🙂

This time you are right. My high school buddy is trolling us!!!! On different forums or not I don’t like it.

@kg01  @sturt my first new year’s greeting!!! :sad: My friend needs to work on his greetings… this isn’t his best side but wow.

BD052198-D276-4E49-8EE4-A2CC19EA1051.jpeg

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, sturt said:

2022-12-31_20-40-51.png

I don't think this really translates to not all water is wet.   Clouds are wet.   You fly through them, you get condensation regardless of the season.   

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't think this really translates to not all water is wet.   Clouds are wet.   You fly through them, you get condensation regardless of the season.   

Next time you drive through fog, stick your hand out the window and see if your fingers feel wet.

C'mon Dies.

• Premium Member

Dang, Dies... really? You're going to make me go into full-on hyper-nerd status???

Water vapor is not wet.

Now, technically, I cannot not agree with you that fog is not water vapor, but rather, it is micro droplets of water just as your kiddie science video asserts.

But, my statement to you as precisely written remains true... you're not going to feel those micro droplets as-if wetness on your fingers if you put your hand out the window as you drive through some fog. Generally, that's because your body temperature is enough to force those micro droplets that might contact your skin back into vapor form.

But to the original point... not all water is wet.

Some is liquid. Wet.

Some is solid. Not wet, until melted.

Some is gas. Not wet, until it condenses.

Water must be in some range of liquid form to be "wet."

And yes, I'm officially embarrassed that we're having this conversation.